Hooked on Square Bodies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks it’s sometimes easier to keep a survivor vehicle alive than it is to part one out, I have been to car shows with my brothers 62 Ranchero and love the reactions from the young adults asking what is that? My problem is letting go of them you get attached, but this too will pass, until then I will do all I can to get them back on the road.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have started my latest project not sure if I have the knowledge to document the process but I will attempt to, I’m sure I’m not the first to do this I have a 1981 Chevy 4x4 frame ( pictures above) that has all new brakes front and rear and front end completely rebuilt with new parts , new springs and shocks. There is a 1984 Cab setting on it that is rust free, (with a Va title) it’s legal, if you look under the hood you will find a V8 engine from a 2005 Suburban ( I shared some of this in my introduction) that’s just setting there sideways with the new motor mounts. This is what I have bought, past owner had done all this work and when trying to take the motor out, the truck rolled down the yard into his shed. he tried to stop the truck with the forks on the tractor therefore there are a few holes poked in the bed on the passenger side.he got mad and kicked both doors on the cab and posted the truck on Craigslist in a fit of anger, anyway I bought it as is before the post was there 2 minutes sight unseen.
My questions follow, I have the original transfer case and front end which is on the right side and an engine that I believe fed a transfer case that front end was on the drivers side. What is the most economical way to make this work, any help would be greatly appreciated, I have a 2 wheel drive 4L80e transmission from mid 90’s Corvette will that bolt up to the transfer case with an adapter? If not would I be better off with a transmission from an mid 80’s 4x4 not sure just need everything to go to the ECM well now you all know the rest of the story and where my project begins. I have looked thought the sight and lsswap blogs but have not found the right one yet. I will be waiting to hear from those that have been down this path before me, thanks in advance for all your help.

Welcome.

I completed a swap in my 82 K5. It now has a 6.0/4L65e and NP241 transfer case. Replaced the 350/700r4 and NP208 transfer case.
It will all bolt right in and keep the same drive shafts. I just used the cross member from the donor of the NP241.
Mine is DBW and I reworked the harness myself with the help of lt1swap.
If you use the 4L60e you need someway for the PCM to tell the trans when to shift. Since you have 4X4 that comes from the transfer case.
You can use a Dakota digital converter to change the mechanical to electrical.
Or as I did whet with a NP241 that has electronic output. It's also a better t-case than the NP208.
It was a journey for sure, but now I have a reliable, more powerful setup than original and even my cruise control works.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wow, I’m old I will need to read that a couple times but I’m greatly appreciative for this information, sure is nice to know I have a project that can be finished thanks again for your help

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Wow, I’m old I will need to read that a couple times but I’m greatly appreciative for this information, sure is nice to know I have a project that can be finished thanks again for your help

Understand, it's an involved process. Just take your time. You will also need to update your fuel delivery system.

I'll help answer questions where I can.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a new fuel tank can it be modified to work?

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a new fuel tank can it be modified to work?
Is it a fuel injection style tank? They have baffles to help keep the fuel pump submerged. If you use an in tank fuel pump. Some people use an external pump to get around that.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
No it’s a new stock tank, maybe an external pump would work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee