hood release cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoopie

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
350 c.i.
I am trying to clean up the engine compartment on a 86 and was wondering if anyone has used a longer hood release cable? A longer one would allow the cable to be routed differently in a less obtrusive manner. I didn't know if anyone had used a longer one off a different vehicle or if anything is even available. Thanks in advance.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Are you wanting to affix it closer to the fender? I don’t find it all that obtrusive, but that’s me. If you can get the length info, maybe something with a long engine bay like a B Body or a Cadillac Eldorado would give you the added length. This is the first time I’ve heard this question myself so I’m no authority.

Hoopie

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
350 c.i.
Yes, I would like it closer to the fender or even on the other side of the fender support. Also, I was looking to do away with how they "cut" the corner when it reaches the radiator core support. Just trying to clean up wires and cables.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Funny enough, I just replaced my hood cable this morning and I was putting some thought into this exact situation. The way the stock cable sits, it's *almost* completely out of the way, so I wondered what it would take to go the extra step and just tuck it in the fender. It seems pretty intuitive at first.

However, my concern with this idea would be the cable binding. When you take something like a hood release cable, it works best in something resembling a straight line. The more curves you put in it (especially hard corners), the more resistance it will find. I think that's why the original cables are routed the way they are. I was playing with mine this morning and it was really apparent that the more "snaking" it did, the harder it got to pull. Eventually it would just lock up altogether.

That was my thought but I didn't go real far with it - I say you experiment yourself and see if you can find a new trick.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I have an extra one in the garage it's about 6 ft long. Idk if you can use it. You're welcome to it if you think it'll work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88SQDRW