86 Parking brake Release Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Somehow my dog managed to brake the parking brake release handle on my 86 K20 while I was in the Beer store.
I thought no big deal, since I could get a new one to screw on for pretty cheap.
Then I noticed that this year model has the handle built onto the rod, no threads.
Can't find a release rod with the handle for it, plus I'd rather have the threaded handle type.

LMC shows one under "1973-89 Parking Brake Pedal Components" but the rod doesn't have the bends in it for going around the AC duct. I could make those bends, but that might make it too short. I had them send me a picture of it just in case that was just a generic drawing, but on the actual picture it didn't have those bends either.

Anyone dealt with this before, or know if that LMC rod will work with some bending, and not be too short?
If I have to, I might try grinding the nubs of the old rod, and thread it for an older threaded handle.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Somehow my dog managed to brake the parking brake release handle on my 86 K20 while I was in the Beer store.
I thought no big deal, since I could get a new one to screw on for pretty cheap.
Then I noticed that this year model has the handle built onto the rod, no threads.
Can't find a release rod with the handle for it, plus I'd rather have the threaded handle type.

LMC shows one under "1973-89 Parking Brake Pedal Components" but the rod doesn't have the bends in it for going around the AC duct. I could make those bends, but that might make it too short. I had them send me a picture of it just in case that was just a generic drawing, but on the actual picture it didn't have those bends either.

Anyone dealt with this before, or know if that LMC rod will work with some bending, and not be too short?
If I have to, I might try grinding the nubs of the old rod, and thread it for an older threaded handle.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I saw those, but my factory release rod has a bend to go around the AC duct.
I'm not sure that if I bent the straight one, it wouldn't end up being too short.
can you show yours

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

I saw those, but my factory release rod has a bend to go around the AC duct.
I'm not sure that if I bent the straight one, it wouldn't end up being too short.
Does your year/truck have a vent thats mounted low to the left? I thought the AC vent for the driver was mounted higher(on the left side, that is) I could be just remembering wrong since I dont look at squares with AC often

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds like a great junkyard part to get if you can’t find the right one brand new.
Seems like they would be one of the few parts left on a parts truck, not in high demand.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
can you show yours
No, I don't use a smart phone.

The handle looks just like the one on my 69 Chevelle. It's pretty faded, so I ordered a new one for it and I'll see about threading the rod on my truck.
If that works, I'll get another one for my car.

I'll probably go look at the Junkyard in the meantime.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No, I don't use a smart phone.

The handle looks just like the one on my 69 Chevelle. It's pretty faded, so I ordered a new one for it and I'll see about threading the rod on my truck.
If that works, I'll get another one for my car.

I'll probably go look at the Junkyard in the meantime.
If your handle is molded onto the rod, if you have most of the old one off or all of it, and you can fit the new on(but not threaded) Id think some small screws to create standoffs off the rod even if small and some steelstix or whatever putty, maybe even plastic weld , could set it up real strong haha. If it threads on, id use a dab of threadlocker to keep it from coming any bit loose would do the trick

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Didn't try threading my release rod, since the threaded part is shouldered down to a smaller diameter than the rod.

I went with the LMC rod and handle, even though theirs didn't have the bend mine has to clear the AC duct. Was hoping that by me bending it, it wouldn't end up too short.

It cleared just fine without the need to bend.
But instead of their rod being threaded like a bolt, it's threaded more like a wood screw, and the handle is not threaded to accept it.

I had ordered a new handle for my Chevelle too, because it was faded to gray.
Was disappointed with the new one because BRAKE RELEASE is just printed on it.
The LMC one for my truck has BRAKE RELEASE recessed and painted, like the originals were.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I want to see the dog that caused all this.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_105846925.jpg
    IMG_20220916_105846925.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 29

effnay

Reaction score
First Name
brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 2wd
Engine Size
If anyone runs into this problem again, take a heat gun and slowly heat up the new handle to soften it up just a bit. Get the handle started and keep heat on it ( Not too much heat though ) while pressing it home. A second set of hands helps with holding the heat gun but can be done alone with a vice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod