Hood not sitting flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
With an 80's model, adjust the hood latch downward on the mount. Also adjust the hood bumpers down excessively while adjusting the latch. Once the latch adjustment is satisfactory, adjust the hood bumpers back up to apply a small amount of pressure on the hood when it is latched.

The hood striker should move freely in the latch. If it feels like it's binding or if the hood is shifting to one side or the other when the striker engages the latch, side-side latch adjustment will be necessary as well.
My hood moves around ALOT at highway speeds, to the point I've planned on putting AeroLatches on it at some point. I never thought about adjusting the latch and bumpers to work together to keep it more stable :emotions122:

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
A couple of pictures would help us analyze your situation, but it sounds like the hinges are just worn out as per post #17 above. It looks like his hood is nice and tight now that he replaced the hinges with new ones.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
My 79 has a similar problem. I was considering cutting all the pivots and replacing them all with shortened shank bolts welded in.

Or I can just buy a set of hinges....

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
These big hoods can be a pain! My hood was just kinked, and it has the braces on it underneath. Good suggestions here, I am going to keep these in mind when my hood goes back on....well, if I can get the hood straight enough! It blew off my parts truck in a wicked storm last year, hit garage gutter, bounced off garage roof and tumbled through the back yard.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Been reading this thread guys.. great stuff but look at these pictures of aftermarket hood E wanted on truck and how it sits. The original hood was bent so it was cheaper to replace it than try and get it straight.

Thanks y’all

Randy and E
I think thats how mine sits... I'll deal with it for now. Way too many other irons in the fire, but it'll need worked out before it gets painted.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I replaced the hood on my 84, with an original hood but I still can't get the back to sit down flush. Someone mentioned shimming the cowl panel. Anyone ever done that? I also have to slam the hood to get it to latch. I think I may have to spend some time messing with it

Attachments

• IMG_6198.JPG
    IMG_6198.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6199.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member