Hood insulation pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I'd like to install one of these to cut down on engine noise.
Did squarebodies ever come with these from the factory?
Is someone still making them new? Or is there an aftermarket solution that works better?
I see some holes in the inner hood panel, looks like it could accommodate one.

Here's what my hood looks like:

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I took mine off, after years of getting sprayed with oil and other fluids, it becomes a fire hazzard. Eventually they all get loaded up with debris and fall down onto the motor. If you're concerned with motor noise, install some sound deadening like dynomat or something similar. The factory mat imo isn't worth the money and it doesn't quiet down the underhood noise/heat transfer adequately.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I took mine off, after years of getting sprayed with oil and other fluids, it becomes a fire hazzard. Eventually they all get loaded up with debris and fall down onto the motor. If you're concerned with motor noise, install some sound deadening like dynomat or something similar. The factory mat imo isn't worth the money and it doesn't quiet down the underhood noise/heat transfer adequately.

Thanks for the tip - I am looking into that, and I think it's a better option and probably does better for noise than a factory-like pad.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Make sure whatever you use is designed to handle engine compartment heat. I suspect most of the interior sound deadeners will fall off. DEI (Design Engineering) makes good stuff, but they are expensive. I think DynaMat also has something specifically for under hoods.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I think I'm going with the dynamat hoodliner. It's designed for under hood and resists oil and can withstand the heat.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think I'm going with the dynamat hoodliner. It's designed for under hood and resists oil and can withstand the heat.

Please post pictures and comments after you've done the installation.

thomasj

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500HD
Engine Size

Yea, the dynamat sounds like a good option!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
92 X-Ray