Holley 600/650 vacuum secondary ALL I SMELL IS GASSSSSSSS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHIEF

Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So,

I bought the truck with work done 2 owners ago. Guy I got it from basically let it sit and gave it to me. I have got it running actually pretty good but now matter how I tune this thing, it has no "balls" I get that its a big truck but a 4bolt 350 with a decent cam. I get maybe 10mpg on the highway and all i can smell is gas. I tuned it to the point of being a little lean and the gas smell gets less noticeable but the second I try and accelerate beyond a crawl I smell it again.

I have the car accel pump set to slight drag with a .15 checker as per the youtubes and ill be honest i dont know what spring is in the vacuum secondary or if it even is working right.

It has the stock TBI fuel pump with a fuel regulator to get it I assume lower pressure going into the carb. what Im wondering is if the fuel pump is just too much for this setup and the reg is not able to slow it. I have the AFR set to 1/8 a turn past stock initial setting of 3 half turns out.

It idles in park alittle high but I cant adjust the idler screw lower or it has trouble idling in gear. Im considering reaplcing the fuel pump, lines and carb along with replacing the edlbrock intake(which has no vacuum port for whatever reason)

It does have a 1/2 inch spacer but honestly I think its a mixture between the carb being bad or not adjust right, and then the fuel pump just pumping too much gas. any insight would be awesome.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
First thing I would do is sell or throw away that Holley. Second would be to get a good quality fuel pressure regulator with a return line.

I always joke that the best thing to do with a Holley is to beat it with a BF hammer so that you don't get that temptation to rebuild it LOL

CHIEF

Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
First thing I would do is sell or throw away that Holley. Second would be to get a good quality fuel pressure regulator with a return line.

I always joke that the best thing to do with a Holley is to beat it with a BF hammer so that you don't get that temptation to rebuild it LOL

Ill be honest ive always just had edelbrocks because I could never get holleys to run right. Again ill be honest I assumed it was from my lack of understanding holleys and that usually the cars I got already had edelbrocks that ran right and I usually just had to adjust alittle up for a bigger or different cam. maybe heads or something.

I spent the time to learn up on holleys and honestly at this point it looks like I may need to rebuild the thing. as I bet the vacuum secondary is fubar'd and well would other **** not be wrong too.

My regulator doesnt have a return line and I feel like excess gas is getting forced into the carb and with no where to go gets boiled off or pissed out the motor.

from what I read here 1406 edelbrock? any suggestions on intakes? I have a mild cam and stock cast heads assume its a stock bore. Im more interested in torque of course.

CHIEF

Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Also how does everyone have their pumps wired? Mine is pumping when the key is turned to accessory and or obviously running. So while it more or less works I can listen to the radio with the truck off. not horrible but meh there has to be a better way.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ill be honest ive always just had edelbrocks because I could never get holleys to run right. Again ill be honest I assumed it was from my lack of understanding holleys and that usually the cars I got already had edelbrocks that ran right and I usually just had to adjust alittle up for a bigger or different cam. maybe heads or something.

I spent the time to learn up on holleys and honestly at this point it looks like I may need to rebuild the thing. as I bet the vacuum secondary is fubar'd and well would other **** not be wrong too.

My regulator doesnt have a return line and I feel like excess gas is getting forced into the carb and with no where to go gets boiled off or pissed out the motor.

from what I read here 1406 edelbrock? any suggestions on intakes? I have a mild cam and stock cast heads assume its a stock bore. Im more interested in torque of course.

1406/1806/1826 with Edelbrock 2701 the 2101 will accept both square bore and the spread bore quadjet

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Also how does everyone have their pumps wired? Mine is pumping when the key is turned to accessory and or obviously running. So while it more or less works I can listen to the radio with the truck off. not horrible but meh there has to be a better way.

You can wire it through the oil pressure sensor at the back of the block. The factory choke is hooked up this way and means when the oil pressure is on the pump works when it is not the pump does not either. The carburetor fuel bowls will have enough to get it started and then once you have oil pressure then the fuel pump will turn on.

CHIEF

Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
well my regulator is pissing fuel so i found my problem, the better news is im gonna hve to replace all my lines as well they are all nice and corroded. so whatever i guess. found the problem and now I have more things to work out.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear

And I always suggest to get rid of edlebrocks and run holleys. But in my defence. I run double pumps.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
And I always suggest to get rid of edlebrocks and run holleys. But in my defence. I run double pumps.

Ya these Edelbrocks are junk but at least they don't leak out of the fuel wells and they keep a tune if you can call it a tune......lol

They work that's the only reason I have one but if someone thinks they are a performance carburetor......holy freak they couldn't be more wrong!

I actually am working on 2 nice electric choke quadjets and I have an old divorced choke quadjet in a box just in case. It works better than the Edelbrock :whymewhyme: but it leaks and Im too lazy to do the full monty to it lol

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
which model Holley is it?

it will tell you the number on the air horn.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
MadOgre said:
[quote name="Driver4r" post=274667]And I always suggest to get rid of edlebrocks and run holleys. But in my defence. I run double pumps.

Ya these Edelbrocks are junk but at least they don't leak out of the fuel wells and they keep a tune if you can call it a tune......lol

They work that's the only reason I have one but if someone thinks they are a performance carburetor......holy freak they couldn't be more wrong!

I actually am working on 2 nice electric choke quadjets and I have an old divorced choke quadjet in a box just in case. It works better than the Edelbrock :whymewhyme: but it leaks and Im too lazy to do the full monty to it lol[/quote]
couldn't be said any better!

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks buddy! It is the truth haha

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Holley 600/650 vacuum secondary ALL I SMELL

sure is.

it'll perform at pissing you off lol

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The only good thing about the Edelbrock is that it "works" well. But that is not the same as saying it "preforms" well!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Which LOL is very contradictory to its name haha Performer Series Carburetor haha what a joke that is! That is about the same as the quality of there accessories haha JUNK!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24