High beam switch inop for 18 months; finally figured it out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
So I've had my truck for 18 months and learned a lot here along the way. I've read 89s's tutorial on tightening the steering column and after 5 tries I can do it in my sleep. My high beams have never worked. I can reach down and press it manually but that isn't practical when driving in the dark.

I had the evening free after the machine shop dicked me around and finally took a look at my front driveshaft at 430. It t's not rebuild able by us..... Anyways I still have a laundry list of things I want to get done on the truck so I dragged out an extra steering column I had laying around and thought about swapping out the high beam switches as I already destroyed this steering column getting out the rod for the high beam which I swapped over. It worked once and then once again wouldn't quite reach.

Took a quick look at the parts column and said that looks like it slides along those 2 nuts. 3/8 and 5/16 wrenches and a couple cuts and cursing and 10 minutes later I finally have working high beams. I would celebrate but now I have to install the upgraded headlight harness I bought a year ago

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
As u can see the switch slides and my stalk didn't have enough travel to engage. Now it does

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 110

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
As u can see the switch slides and my stalk didn't have enough travel to engage. Now it does

Sunuva bitch I just saw this. Thanks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'm glad to have found this, I need to adjust mine, got some play in it. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm