here at truck trying to purchase!plz help ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ok guys I have another thread with pics...under the engine it's covered in oil leaking somewhere...36k original miles..drives great, handles great, 1 owner truck he drove it for 2 months only problem was that clunk once in awhile when shutting off...what can this be?what should I look for?he wants 3 grand but I will get him down..help me out fellas!!beautiful truck for most part!

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm omw home..it's leaking a transfer case also..I took 100 pics ill post when back home to see how low I need to go in purchasing truck..

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sorry I missed this. Valve cover gaskets maybe?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Why did you start a new thread?

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
clunk when you turn it off?? I hope you had someone else there to listen while you turned it off a few times.. trying to pinpoint where it came from.. Could be something loose like a mount and the clunk is the mount falling back into place.. or it could be inside the engine.. lots of possibilities.. I hope its a cheap problem..

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I'm having a really hard time believing this is a "36k original miles" truck, to much wrong with it. Either the milage is 100, or perhaps 200k off... Or that was the most brutal 36k ever.

At 36k, for a nearly 30 year old truck, I'd be worried about things like brake and fuel lines, and rusted out engine tins. Nothing like you're describing.

Based on your apparent limited knowledge, and lack of knowledgeable help, I would shelf the idea of buying this truck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm going to go with 136,000. Reason I say this, I see that oil all over the rear axle. I do believe that seal can harden over time with age and go bad and leaks can start. BUT, as thick as that grime is, that's been leaking while driving and wind blown and alot of road dirt in it. Then again, it could have been leaking for 10 years while being driven and it accumulated over the last 10,000 miles of the last 10 years too, but still I'd have to be looking for things to verify it's only 36,000 miles. How about the tires? And idea how old they are? I know they can't be original by now. In 36,000 miles, there should not be much wear on the front and rear brake shoes and pads, maybe pull the wheels off and see if they are OEM pads and shoes.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
how worn is the brake pedal pad?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's old news and the first thing crooks replace now. I also know brake riders that have worn one down in less than 10K miles, so I try not to put to much into that method. It's good if it matches up with other things to paint a whole picture, but just saying, don't go by that alone.
As far as oil leaks, I'd expect those. You're talking almost 30 years old seals and being heated and cooled and with age, they will get hard and leak just from age. How about the plug wires? Surely they're the original plug wires with only 36,000 miles on them. Not sure about 85, but I know later years like 94 for example, all the plug wires have the # of the plug they go to on the wire if they are OEM. You will see a bunch of 1's on the #1 cyl all up the plug wire, and so for #2 and #3 etc.

The truck does look good, but being garage kept it should have stayed in nice shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast