Help with steering on mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruce JOnes

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
86/97
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummings 1st gen
Ok I am new to the group so if I do something wrong I am sorry. I need help with a custom job I am working on. First we have an 86 suburban chassie with a 97 suburban body with a first generation cummings 6cyl. I had to jack the suspension way up to get cummings into it. the front axle is tilted down just a slight bit to keep yolk from hitting bottom of oil pan. this in turn throws the steering knuckles off to a tilt. My problem is in my steering, I have lost 3 boxs and 2 times the bolts that attach steering arm to knuckle. I have checked for any type of tension in all of steering linkage but dont have any. Is there any ideas or has anyone else had similar problems? How do I fix this please. I have seen in some other trucks they have put blocks under front springs and between axle to give more lift so yolk will clear. will this work maybe. I am at a loss. Thank you in advance

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
either add more lift in the form of the leaf springs to get the oil pan up, or section the oil pan to clear

Bruce JOnes

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
86/97
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummings 1st gen
Oil pan isnt really the problem just in the way.Its more of an axle angle thing i think thank you

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
never ever put blocks in the front. raising a straight axle will have no effect on the steering knuckles. doesn't matter if you lift it 1" or 20 inches it has zero effect on the steering knuckles. first off how did you lift it? how much did you lift it? did you install the proper steering arm in to correct for the now misaligned drag link? highdesertranger

Bruce JOnes

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
86/97
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummings 1st gen
the lift has been done with leafs. the reason i said blocks was to give me clearance to twist the axle so that the knuckles are straight. the effect from the blocks would be to lift the springs so the yolk can clear the pan when the axle is turned. I guess i could ask do the knuckles need to be straight up and down?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
they make shims to correct the caster. you got a pic it might help? how much of a lift? did you put a steering arm on it. highdesertranger

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oil pan isnt really the problem just in the way.Its more of an axle angle thing i think thank you
You said you installed a large Diesel engine and because the oil pan is so low, you had to angle the axle down to clear the yoke.

Either modify the oil pan to allow you to shim the axle, or add leaf springs with more lift to jack the frame and engine away from the axle, also allowing you to shim the axle

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you've shimmed the axle to point the pinion down to clear the oil pan, you've thrown off the caster adjustment. It would be an incredible amount of work but you could have the axle tubes pressed out and back in to compensate for the excessive caster. Otherwise, it needs to be put back where it was and other mods done to correct it like more lift/modded oil pan/pickup.

Also be aware a lot of lift/large tires on the stock steering geometry creates a lot of stress. You may want to look into a crossover steering setup. It would require a 2WD steering box and pitman arm, and a passenger side knuckle modified to accept the crossover drag link, and of course the draglink itself. Offroad design has the stuff to do it with, whether it's 10-bolt, D44 or D60. I went through them for mine, expensive as hell for shipping though.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana44crossover.htm

I've heard of people getting a machine shop to deck and drill/tap the knuckle for the steering arm but IMO it's cheaper/easier in the long run to just buy a kit already built for it.

Bruce JOnes

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
86/97
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummings 1st gen
i am attaching photos to my album.

Bruce JOnes

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
86/97
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummings 1st gen
it is a d44. they are 20 inch wheels and large tires. it is stock steering set up for 3/4 ton though. i have thought of a diff steering set up like hydro... PLEASE CHECK MY ALBUMS

Bruce JOnes

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
86/97
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummings 1st gen
no i havent shimmed it

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So, you haven't shimmed the axle, but you said it was turned down to prevent the yoke from hitting the oil pan. How did you turn it down? It looks like there is some sort of zero rate shim or block in there. Nothing in those pictures l really jumps out at me as terribly wrong, but something with the arm off the steering box doesn't look right. But your drag links are level. The angle of the knuckles isn't that bad.

Bruce JOnes

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
86/97
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummings 1st gen
ok great thats what i was looking for the angle of the knuckles is not real bad but i needed to check. no its not turned down and not shimmed only higher leafs.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
To help, here's OP's photos from his album:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I don't see any shimming of the axle either.

It's a little hard to tell, but it appears to be that the main 2 leafs are bent out of shape due to overflexing, a lot of spring wrap, or due to a possible previous accident.

I would recommend a new set of leaves for the front (at least new main springs) because if what I see is true, then the main springs are weaker in their current condition. Especially with the increased weight from the cummins that's riding on them.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I wonder how long the shackles are? In my mind if there is too much positive caster could it greatly increase the effort required to turn the wheels or am I missing the point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capickering