Help w/ steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I finally got everything in the truck, but now I cannot get the rag joint to go onto the shaft coming out of the steering box.

Any suggestions?

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
loosen the up the steering column from the inside.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
This might be a dumb question, but, how do I do that?

I put one bolt through the frame and wiggled the box down until i could get the shaft "into" the rag joint, and then I can't get it to go down onto the splines.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Sounds like you're doing everything right.

Make sure the clamp bolt (item 1) is well backed off and then try to spread the coupling clamp open further. Use a pry bar or big screwdriver. Are your input shaft/coupling splined or do the have flat areas on the shaft and ID of the coupling clamp?

Are these the same two parts that were previously installed?

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Other than that, just check the usual stuff. Make sure that the shaft and coupling clamp are clean and lubed. Also check that the shaft is straight and didn't get bent/dinged up somehow in the process. If all that looks good, try putting the coupling in the oven at like 200 F for a 1/2 hour or so. That will increase the ID a bit and should help it fit on to the shaft.

Last edited:

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
As far as I know everything is the same. The rag joint is not in bad shape, so I did not intend on replacing it. Its solid, not loose, etc. The shaft on the steering gear is flat, and then splined on the sides. I should have checked with my old one and the new one when I turned the old in for the core charge.

If needed, how well and easy to install of those universal joint type shafts?

I feel like I have jumped in over my head, lol.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you change out your steering box or anything else?

Everything required to put the rag joint back on is under the hood.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Did you change out your steering box or anything else?

Everything required to put the rag joint back on is under the hood.

Replaced the steering box. Nothing else in the steering system besides pressure lines.

My issue is that I just cannot for the life of me get the rag joint to slip onto the spline coming out of the steering gear. I need to mess with it one day when I am not pissed :).

Just have to find the time between class and work.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You may have gotten the wrong steering box or you have wrong components.

There are two different steering boxes used on these trucks. The early style used a MUCH larger spline compared to the new models and you may have mixed up your parts.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
You may have gotten the wrong steering box or you have wrong components.

There are two different steering boxes used on these trucks. The early style used a MUCH larger spline compared to the new models and you may have mixed up your parts.

Good to know. Say I did get the wrong box, is it possible to just purchase a new rag joint with the splines, as opposed to having to remove the box, track down the receipt, etc? Or is the box different completely?

Thanks for the help.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good to know. Say I did get the wrong box, is it possible to just purchase a new rag joint with the splines, as opposed to having to remove the box, track down the receipt, etc? Or is the box different completely?

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately no. The rag joint is part of the steering shaft which would have to get all replaced.

Honestly it would be easier to get the proper steering box in question. Just take the steering shaft under the hood to your parts store and make sure the rag joint fits. Its only 1 bolt at the firewall and the shaft comes out.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Unfortunately no. The rag joint is part of the steering shaft which would have to get all replaced.

Honestly it would be easier to get the proper steering box in question. Just take the steering shaft under the hood to your parts store and make sure the rag joint fits. Its only 1 bolt at the firewall and the shaft comes out.

Thanks. I am going to run by the parts store tomorrow. If I remember correctly they only had one in their system for an 86 K10. We shall see.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

Not sure I agree with this. The rag joint is seperate from the steering shaft and you should be able to mix match that part. I know the shaft to the column was different but I am mot sure when the change occurred but according to my LMC catalog its 73-76 and 77-87 on the rag joint and 73-76, 77-79 and 80-87 on the steering gear. Not sure what changed on the gear tho.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not sure I agree with this. The rag joint is seperate from the steering shaft and you should be able to mix match that part. I know the shaft to the column was different but I am mot sure when the change occurred but according to my LMC catalog its 73-76 and 77-87 on the rag joint and 73-76, 77-79 and 80-87 on the steering gear. Not sure what changed on the gear tho.

Well the one I have to get the joint off I would have to really beat on it. There is no bolt or nothing.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Well the one I have to get the joint off I would have to really beat on it. There is no bolt or nothing.

Off the steering shaft or gear? It just bolts to the shaft like this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 103

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71