help me decide - which TBI rebuild kit to get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Subscribed :popcorn:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I think I bought the second kit which had more base gaskets.

I have the box somewhere I can get the part number off of it and let you know but it may be Monday before I can do so.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
1st one is fine, the other just covers more vehicles. I think the Caddys had the open center.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks Jim, thats kind of what I thought when I looked at the pictures of what is included, seemed like there were just more base gaskets on the more spendy one. Going to try this within a few days. I cannot pin down why my 350 doesnt seem to run right, low on power and backfires through the intake. It was much worse when it was 85 degrees the other day. Thought I had it fixed due to a bunch of vacuum leaks I found, but its still going on.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks Jim, thats kind of what I thought when I looked at the pictures of what is included, seemed like there were just more base gaskets on the more spendy one. Going to try this within a few days. I cannot pin down why my 350 doesnt seem to run right, low on power and backfires through the intake. It was much worse when it was 85 degrees the other day. Thought I had it fixed due to a bunch of vacuum leaks I found, but its still going on.

Yeah, if you have already changed the fuel filter, you may have clogged injhector filters, which is rare, but there are 2 on each injector. the basket at the inlet, and then there is a small one at the upper side for the cooling jacket. Put some petroleum jelly on the O rings, and pay special attention to the locating pins on the bottom of the injectors. those lower rings tear easy.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'll keep that information in mind. I may even have time to work on this tonight, watched a few youtube videos, it seems pretty straitforward. I am going to check the timing as well.

Any other thoughts on what could be causing a lean condition/backfire through the intake? Here is what i have done so far:

-new fuel filter
-new air cleaner filter
-replaced all vacuum lines and pcv valve (some had holes, tears) - I thought this would be the issue. It does idle much better after this.
-replaced the wire from the coil to the rotor (boot was old and arching)

Should I consider changing out the coolant temp sensor or TPS?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'll keep that information in mind. I may even have time to work on this tonight, watched a few youtube videos, it seems pretty straitforward. I am going to check the timing as well.

Any other thoughts on what could be causing a lean condition/backfire through the intake? Here is what i have done so far:

-new fuel filter
-new air cleaner filter
-replaced all vacuum lines and pcv valve (some had holes, tears) - I thought this would be the issue. It does idle much better after this.
-replaced the wire from the coil to the rotor (boot was old and arching)

Should I consider changing out the coolant temp sensor or TPS?

Coolant temp could help, but if you have not done it, fuel pressure should be checked...i think i mentioned this, but there is a rubber hose in the tank that has stumped many.
Money was spent on other hopeful fixes, then the tank is pulled as a last resort, and bingo, a pinky sized rip in said hose....after around $140 of throwing parts at the ECM system, a $.25 or less problem was found.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
A friend of mine just went through a similar issue. The thing would run ok sometimes but then power would fall off and it would start backfiring. To make it more difficult to diagnose the initial fuel pressure check was ok. After exhausting all other possibilites a second pressure test was done and it was only 5 psi. New fuel pump was the fix.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey Jim,

What hose are you referring to near the fuel takn? Wouldn't there be fuel leaking out onto the ground or maybe I am missing the point?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It's on top of the pump inside the tank.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Is it the black rubber hose that connects the pump to the line? Sorry for the basic question, but I see a few different things that could be it in the picture.

Also, I sucessfully rebuilt the TBI tonight, also changed out the coolant sensor.

The rebuild went pretty well, it was pretty straitforward. Dont really feel any power difference at all, but no backfires yet. That doesn't mean much though as I have gone days without backfires, only to have a bunch the next day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grayson1210