Help identifying what gears I might have

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddelauz

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have an ‘86 K10 with 10 bolt 6 lug rear end. With the attached photos is there any way to tell what gears I have? The original sticker says I have 3.08 gears but not sure if it has been changed prior to be buying it.

Attachments

• IMG_6752.jpeg
    IMG_6752.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6751.jpeg
    IMG_6751.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6726.jpeg
    IMG_6726.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 41

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Not on a gm axle. IF THEY’RE ORIGINAL, you can decode the RPO codes (if you still have the sticker) to find the ratio.

Otherwise, the only option is pulling the cover and getting the numbers stamped in to the edge of the ring gear.

ReefkoiC10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS3
Pretty easy, Mark the tire in one spot and the driveshaft in one spot with paint/chalk. Then turn one of the rear wheels 2 full revolutions and while doing that have someone count how many times the driveshaft rotated. So if the driveshaft turns 3 times and the tire 2 times thats a 3.00 ratio if its 3 and a quarter turns then its a 3:23 etc. its not 100% precise since you’d need accurate marks to get real real close but it Gets you damn close. Other than that pull the cover and get messy :)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Pretty easy, Mark the tire in one spot and the driveshaft in one spot with paint/chalk. Then turn one of the rear wheels 2 full revolutions and while doing that have someone count how many times the driveshaft rotated. So if the driveshaft turns 3 times and the tire 2 times thats a 3.00 ratio if its 3 and a quarter turns then its a 3:23 etc. its not 100% precise since you’d need accurate marks to get real real close but it Gets you damn close. Other than that pull the cover and get messy :)
Something to add, if you don't have someone to watch you can tape a string,tied to a socket,etc. for tension to the drive shaft count how many string wraps +/- where the tape stops.

Last edited:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A plus on pulling the cover is you can see if the gear oil has any water in it and can check for any sparkles in the fluid. You'll only be out some silicone sealant and 2 or 3 qts. of gear oil. If you've never smelt gear oil, if it smells bad, it's good.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
A plus on pulling the cover is you can see if the gear oil has any water in it and can check for any sparkles in the fluid. You'll only be out some silicone sealant and 2 or 3 qts. of gear oil. If you've never smelt gear oil, if it smells bad, it's good.

Don't forget the yummy smelling L/S additive. lol

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Or if its a limited slip (positrac), only rotate the tire once.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You know sometimes I just have too much time on my hands and think about stupid shet. It occurred to me you could put a piece of tape on the wheel arch with a line on it like a timing tab. put a matching line on the tire,push the truck to rotate the drive shaft exactly 1 turn place another mark on the tire. Measure distance between the marks.From that point it's a simple math problem to figure degrees of rotation. Just like timing tape on a balancer.

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
You know sometimes I just have too much time on my hands and think about stupid shet. It occurred to me you could put a piece of tape on the wheel arch with a line on it like a timing tab. put a matching line on the tire,push the truck to rotate the drive shaft exactly 1 turn place another mark on the tire. From that point it's a simple math problem to figure degrees of rotation. Just like timing tape on a balancer.
That's about exactly how we did it at work, and It was pretty accurate!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I guess I'm weird because I actually love the way gear oil smells. And I also like that petroleum smell you find deep in the engine when taking it apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef