What transmission do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
It shifted from 1st to second, second to third, nothing after that. Sorry about the confusion.
No 3-4 upshift is somewhat common on earlier 700r4s w/first design valve bodies. Several times I have had to swap the vb two or three times before Id get one that fully works.

That said, a few common causes:
1) Worn 3-4 upshift valve
2) 3-4 Relay valve installed backwards
3) TV cable slightly out of adjustment
4) Governor valve partially sticking
5) Servo - 4th gear apply piston teflon seal worn/ripped

Next Steps:
1. Check your pressures using a transmission pressure gauge - refer to these instructions for the procedure
- If it fails the pressure test (i.e. pressures at idle or 1000 RPMs are too high or too low, readjust cable
- If no matter what you do, you cannot get pressures within required ranges, visually inspect cable and replace if it's either never been replaced to your knowledge or appears worn

2. If pressures are within acceptable ranges, pull the governor out, turn it upside down in your hand and actuate the weights - you should see the valve move freely
- If you do not see the valve move or it moves but only a hair or so, remove the gear w/a roll pin punch then lever the valve out of the governor
- Inspect the valve for signs of wear/damage
- If none found, set it aside then polish the bore using WD40 and a small hone called a bench buddy for about 25-30 seconds
- Reinstall the valve (leave gear off for now) and actuate the weights - if it moves under it's own power freely, your done
- put the governor gear back on (or put a new one on, they are like $10-15 on line) and reseat the roll pin

3. If it passes a pressure test and governor tests ok, drop the pan and look for the small 4th gear exhaust port on the case pan rail - its right below the servo bore....Put compressed air into this little hole and watch the band to see if it grabs the reverse input drum - here's a pic of the case showing the little hole just below the servo (or above it since the case is upside down on the stand).
You must be registered for see images attach

4. If your pressures are good, you have band apply and governor is in good shape, your next move is to either try to correct the problem w/the installation of a Transgo shift kit (check the 3-4 relay valve to see if it's incorrectly - the side with the two large spools faces inward) or swap valve bodies

I have 700R4 valve body teardown and reassembly videos you can refer to if you need any assistance...

Let me know if you have any ?s

Last edited:

walleye

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Nick thank you for the information, I don’t know much about transmissions and I was hoping to try some things I feel comfortable with before taking it to a shop. I’m going to try the reset on the tv cable. Is there anything else you think I can try before bringing it to a shop! Again thank you!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Nick thank you for the information, I don’t know much about transmissions and I was hoping to try some things I feel comfortable with before taking it to a shop. I’m going to try the reset on the tv cable. Is there anything else you think I can try before bringing it to a shop! Again thank you!
You're welcome, walleye. Can't think of anything other than what I've already listed above. Start with the cable adjustment and pressure test. If it passes, take on a road test to see what happens. If you still habe no 3-4 upshift, its either governor (not likely but possible), valve body or perhaps servo.

Another thing you can try, even before cable adjustment and pressure test is to take it out on the road, manually upshift starting in manual low then "2", "3". Once your at highway speeds, throw it into "OD" and see if it shifts into 4th and then goes into lock up. You can do this after your cable reset/pressure test as well.

walleye

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Well after trying to reset the tv cable with no success, I decided to go back and read all the previous replies. And wouldn’t you know it the recommendation about checking the transfer case was the problem, after shifting that into 2 high everything works fine except my Speedo is not working. I feel pretty foolish for not checking that! Again I want to thank everyone for the effort they put in to this for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad