HELP Holley super Sniper 4 bbl woes, 502 ci big Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
My clock only ticks, what's yours doin?
:oops:

IT AINT TAKIN PICTURES GAWDDANGIT.
:mad:

I reckon its prolly gettin cooler outside at your house too , aint it?
o_O

This thread sucks ... but that was a fun game. :D

Needs more blather.:confused:

Thanks for lettin me play.
:33:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Right...

I’m personally not following how being tdc on the compression stroke of number 1 can still put you 180 out if you drop the dizzy in pointing roughly at where you put your #1 plug...but I’ve been wrong on simpler stuff many times before. I almost make a habit of it as a matter of fact.

I always over complicate everything I do. I never consider the simple stuff like "tighten the lug nuts" "put the positive terminal on the battery's positive post"

It's wild, and over analytical bs like spending the next 3 hours tracing down the short with a multimeter, and at the end of the day, I find that it was on the wrong battery post.

Or spend time checking the hardness on the lug studs and analyzing the structure of them with a microscope after I lost a tire because they all sheered off. When all along it was just simply me overlooking tightening the lug nuts down.... You follow me?

I'm not a "dumb" person per say, I just get off on these wild rabbit holes of overanalytical thinking and testing things, and overlook simple stuff.

As I was telling @bucket the other night, I REALLY need another like minded person to walk up and say "here's your problem *******" as in, it's something very simple I'm just failing to notice because I'm too busy getting into injector pounds per hour flow rates on cranking and idle, IAC percentages, injector priming multiplication factors and percentages, varying AFR ratios, putting the sensors in a open loop, when this whole time, it's something so much more simple.

I've learned I have to step away sometimes, come back later after I've collected all my thoughts, and look at it again, all to find the answer to my troubles was something simple.

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I always over complicate everything I do. I never consider the simple stuff like "tighten the lug nuts" "put the positive terminal on the battery's positive post"

It's wild, and over analytical bs like spending the next 3 hours tracing down the short with a multimeter, and at the end of the day, I find that it was on the wrong battery post.

Or spend time checking the hardness on the lug studs and analyzing the structure of them with a microscope after I lost a tire because they all sheered off. When all along it was just simply me overlooking tightening the lug nuts down.... You follow me?

I'm not a "dumb" person per say, I just get off on these wild rabbit holes of overanalytical thinking and testing things, and overlook simple stuff.

As I was telling @bucket the other night, I REALLY need another like minded person to walk up and say "here's your problem *******" as in, it's something very simple I'm just failing to notice because I'm too busy getting into injector pounds per hour flow rates on cranking and idle, IAC percentages, injector priming multiplication factors and percentages, varying AFR ratios, putting the sensors in a open loop, when this whole time, it's something so much more simple.

I've learned I have to step away sometimes, come back later after I've collected all my thoughts, and look at it again, all to find the answer to my troubles was something simple.

Not being a smart ass here because I'm the worst of the bunch. Its always something stupid or something "I checked" 100x. lmao I find rum helps alot in these situations.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Not being a smart ass here because I'm the worst of the bunch. Its always something stupid or something "I checked" 100x. lmao I find rum helps alot in these situations.

Hey now... This meme was used in reference to @82sbshortbed and the GMSB sticker...

Youre comparing me to shortbread!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING.

I will say, since I've quit drinking so damn much, stuff has had a tendency to go awry lately.

Clearly my mechanic skills went in the toilet after I stopped.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size

Pull distributor and rotate 180 degrees, reinstall, hit key, engine go vroom vroom. simple enough? Lol

:slap:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Pull distributor and rotate 180 degrees, reinstall, hit key, engine go vroom vroom. simple enough? Lol

:slap:

Still don't explain away the "well timed" sparking noise I was hearing over the engine cranking.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My POS Sniper install was a nightmare! The POS did the same thing your POS is doing. Finally found out the pink wire on that POS cannot go to just any accessory port in the fusebox. The POS must have voltage while cranking.

Next up. That POS is the most RFI/EMI POS ever made. An airplane flying overhead at 30,000 feet will screw up it's POS electronics.

Once I finally got the POS to run, the POS died on the way home from work for no reason. The POS wouldn't fire because the POS needed a firmware update. Holley sells this new POS with outdated firmware. How was I supposed to know I needed an internet connection and a degree in software engineering to keep the POS operational?

I yanked the entire POS off and sold it to some poor bastard on the net for $500. Half of what I paid for the POS!

Then I do the wise thing and go back to the tried and true multiport Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 efi.

Truck fired right up and has run like a brand new vehicle since.

Did I mention what a POS that Sniper was?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
My POS Sniper install was a nightmare! The POS did the same thing your POS is doing. Finally found out the pink wire on that POS cannot go to just any accessory port in the fusebox. The POS must have voltage while cranking.

Next up. That POS is the most RFI/EMI POS ever made. An airplane flying overhead at 30,000 feet will screw up it's POS electronics.

Once I finally got the POS to run, the POS died on the way home from work for no reason. The POS wouldn't fire because the POS needed a firmware update. Holley sells this new POS with outdated firmware. How was I supposed to know I needed an internet connection and a degree in software engineering to keep the POS operational?

I yanked the entire POS off and sold it to some poor bastard on the net for $500. Half of what I paid for the POS!

Then I do the wise thing and go back to the tried and true multiport Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 efi.

So... Where did you run the pink trigger wire to since not on the fuse box?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

So tell us how you REALLY feel.

lmao

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

I get this feeling it is a Piece of Sh*t. I don't know why.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
It very well may be a piece of ****.

But DAMNIT I still have multiple things that I need to verify before I blindly deduce its junk.

The timing being off, the wild sparking noises coming from the CRACKED plug wires, possible firmware updates, this new developed story on possible drops in voltage...

I need all the details ironed out and verified before I go trashing it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
@SquareRoot I currently have the efi's pink trigger wire running to the "iginiton" source on my fuse block.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have verified the efi is getting 12v with the multimeter, while cranking. I haven't however made 100% sure I'm not 180 degrees off lol
But does the distributor get full 12v while cranking? Or efi controls it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones