HELP Holley super Sniper 4 bbl woes, 502 ci big Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
It happens to the best of us from time to time. You are 110% sure it's not 180* out... but then it turns out to be 180* out, lol.

I mean...... You guys have me questioning myself badly... Lmao

I may end up having to pull the valve cover off and just watching the intake valve If this theory on plug wires wildly arcing around doesn't work out... There won't be much denying it at that point, right???

Right.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Right...

I’m personally not following how being tdc on the compression stroke of number 1 can still put you 180 out if you drop the dizzy in pointing roughly at where you put your #1 plug...but I’ve been wrong on simpler stuff many times before. I almost make a habit of it as a matter of fact.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So are you sure you’re getting 12v on the pink trigger wire when in run AND cranking?

if your ignition switch is even slightly questionable it may be a problem.

my truck ran fine carbed, but when I toned out the trigger wire, the tone would break up with the key in the crank position.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If it seems like it’s losing 12v in crank, you can run the pink trigger wire to a switch then directly to the battery positive as a test. I actually left mine that way. It insures clean voltage signal to the sniper and doubles as a kill switch.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Right...

I’m personally not following how being tdc on the compression stroke of number 1 can still put you 180 out if you drop the dizzy in pointing roughly at where you put your #1 plug...but I’ve been wrong on simpler stuff many times before. I almost make a habit of it as a matter of fact.

It is beyond me

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
@bucket told me to give him a shout, I sent over a PM, requested a. Phone call!

Hay that's SERVICE right thurr.
Youaintgotnomessageboardlikethat right thurr!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Aint no pix or nothin.
**** thiz long ass sausage filled word fest.
Right thurr

Youaineevengotnochingy

K its 180 out right thurr

This catches my eye.

It sounds like you have a handle on it. I had to set my crank at 50*, but mine was with timing control.

AND!!!!!

Thats awesome because this sausage fest word party aint got no damned 502 pix liek wtf?
Noob.

Example of a girl wat needs new shoes
Pay no attention to the square with a 502- she's sporting BIRKENSTOCKS right thurr liek eww.
You must be registered for see images attach

Wtf?

AND whatever happened to the slurping when cranked noise? Cuz I didnt like THAT at all!

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
So are you sure you’re getting 12v on the pink trigger wire when in run AND cranking?

if your ignition switch is even slightly questionable it may be a problem.

my truck ran fine carbed, but when I toned out the trigger wire, the tone would break up with the key in the crank position.

Yes I'm getting a constant 12v for sure.
I already had the issue way earlier in the day yesterday with a ****** battery that would go down to 7 volts on the iginiton during cranking
Ask me how I know?

Efi kept kicking out which in turn killed the fuel pump
I fixed that with a fresh deep cycle marine battery That hasn't seen but just 1 winch pull (my trailer battery)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Hay that's SERVICE right thurr.
Youaintgotnomessageboardlikethat right thurr!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Aint no pix or nothin.
**** thiz long ass sausage filled word fest.
Right thurr

Youaineevengotnochingy

K its 180 out right thurr

This catches my eye.

AND!!!!!

Thats awesome because this sausage fest word party aint got no damned 502 pix liek wtf?
Noob.

Example of a girl wat needs new shoes
Pay no attention to the square with a 502- she's sporting BIRKENSTOCKS right thurr liek eww.
You must be registered for see images attach

Wtf?

AND whatever happened to the slurping when cranked noise? Cuz I didnt like THAT at all!

Slurping noise was when the fuel pump was priming the system to 60 pounds, pre cranking. Just with "key on"

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
My money is on the distributor being 180 degrees off. If you have fuel and spark and you are actually close on timing it should reasonably try to fire up, but if the timing is off by 180 it will pop and backfire through the carb as described. its really easy to pull the cap and pull the dizzy up enough to rotate it 180 degrees and put it back in and see what happens.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I actually managed to get a big block with a blower to turn over and run with a completely randomly set firing order. Took me a while to figure out that I messed up the firing order on the cap. Was my first carbureted and big block vehicle at the time.

It should at least fire if it is anywhere close to being correct. The 12v while cranking and 180* out thing to verify. Also if spark is not controlled by the efi, just start spraying fue in manually and see if it tries to run

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Sure, I can go along with all of that, but what if all my plug wires really are junk and are just arcing around all over the place?

Has anyone tried to crank a motor with plug wires full of cracks? Lol

I haven't

I definitely want to check those wires first, try again.

If it's wrong... Then I will pull the valve cover, and verify FOR SURE I'm on the compression stroke.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I actually managed to get a big block with a blower to turn over and run with a completely randomly set firing order. Took me a while to figure out that I messed up the firing order on the cap. Was my first carbureted and block vehicle at the time.

It should at least dire if it is anywhere close to being correct. The 12v while cranking and 180* out thing to verify. Also if spark is not controlled by the efi, just start spraying fue in manually and see if it tries to run

I have verified the efi is getting 12v with the multimeter, while cranking. I haven't however made 100% sure I'm not 180 degrees off lol

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I will add "from what I can tell"

It seems to be running on less than 8 cylinders, as indicated by the sparkplugs, 4 to be exact.

As evidenced by 4 of the plugs just stinking like raw and gas, and otherwise never seeing a detonation before.

IF it truly was 180 degrees off, wouldn't it be backfiring out of the exhaust?

This is just spitting back thru the throttle body, and everytime it does, after blowing the fire out, I open the butterfly and I can see gas just sitting in there.

It's squirting fuel in there, just not making it explode in a timed manner...

The issue is 100% ignition at this point I do believe.

And for you guys saying 180 off, hell even my old man said it sounds like it's 180 off. Maybe everyone is right, but GM set the timing the first time when he said that and I set it this second time, and it sounds the same...

While cranking, the motor will not fire, when I let off the key, there's a couple of pops.

If I hold the throttle open and crank, it spits thru the throttle body.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hold on.

If it was assembled with the stribitudor install backwards....then all of the valvetrain is incorrectly set also.

Just sayin

So even if it IS, it still aint gonna start.
I'm at valve adjustment.

Final answer.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Hold on.

If it was assembled with the stribitudor install backwards....then all of the valvetrain is incorrectly set also.

Just sayin

So even if it IS, it still aint gonna start.
I'm at valve adjustment.

Final answer.

I'll see THAT when rolling the motor my By hand... Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17