HELP Holley super Sniper 4 bbl woes, 502 ci big Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
She's coming to life.... It's like ******* magic.. It was the throttle plate not opened up enough.

This is why I asked if you had touched the idle adjustment screw. I went thru this too. Idle adjustment on efi can be tricky until you understand how it works. Unlike a carb, the screw adjustment is only half the equation. The IAC actually does most of the work.

Make absolutely sure the butterflies are only resting on the idle screw and there is ZERO tension in the throttle cable at rest.

The ECU resets the tps everytime the ignition is cycled. More on this later.
I'm glad she's alive!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Have to add here, yesterday night, after the truck had sit for nearly 24 hours, I jumped in, primed the truck twice, and it fired right up.

Idle "seemed" to take off, but I think all that was happening was it went to like, 1200 or 1300, it initially scared me because it's difficult to distinguish the difference between 1200 and, 1,000,000 rpms because the thing is SO DAMN LOUD.

But the idle leveled back out close to the 750 I set it at.
(had to fire it up for the misses, despite her saying it was too loud)

I should've gotten a picture of her with her ears covered. LOL

Might I add, the only reason I had to prime it twice is because I'm running gas out of a gallon jug, my gas tank is just too nasty. So I lose a prime everytime I remove the gas from the jug.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
One of the things I really hated about MY Sniper was the idle always had a Dr.Jekyll- Mr.Hyde attitude. One minute it was fine and the next it was evil. Damn thing would take off at a stop light and damn near rear end the car in front of me. I had to put it in neutral for piece of mind.

What was Holley's answer when I called their tech line? You have EMI, move the wires, wrap the wires, blah blah blah. The answer to every problem is EMI.

My solution was the dumpster. Hopefully yours gives you miles of smiles. :)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Seeming like so far there's no worries. But it hasn't ran for more than 1 minute at a time yet.

Just multiple 1 minute intervals.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
So you just turned the idle screw off the stop and it started?

I want my money back.

I know right?

Alot of fuss just for a idle screw.

It was one of the first things I had in my head... But I thought, surely the efi would meter its own idle.

Evidently not.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Needs air too.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That was probably lied out in the instructions somewhere, but I think Im missing a page or two. They got lost somewhere in between when I unboxed it a year or 2 ago, and now.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I know right?

Alot of fuss just for a idle screw.

It was one of the first things I had in my head... But I thought, surely the efi would meter its own idle.

Evidently not.

It does meter its own idle, you have to set the baseline though, just like a carb.....

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And your warranty is up. They give you like 90 days or a year and like most of us, we buy the **** and it sits for a year or more before we install it.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
It does meter its own idle, you have to set the baseline though, just like a carb.....

Lemme clarify, "meter the idle all by itself" lol.

I've worked with chevy tbi systems before... I should've known I had to set base idle before the IAC would take control.

Last edited:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
And your warranty is up. They give you like 90 days or a year and like most of us, we buy the **** and it sits for a year or more before we install it.

While true, if you call them an explain the situation without trying to BS them or raising cain right off the bat most of the time they will still take care you even if the warranty expired while it sat in the box....

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Lemme clarify, "meter the idle all by itself" lol.

I've worked with chevy tbi systems before... I should've known I had to set base idle before the IAC would take control.

Ya I didn't wire my a/c request through the sniper an it can still control the idle for the a/c compressor cycling, my e-fan coming on etc. Once dialed in it should be able to compensate on its own just fine.

If you add a/c the function is there for it to automatically bump the idle speed when the compressor request signal is high. I just don't use it at the moment, but I probably should as a little more rpms would probably help the efficiency of the system overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84