Helipirate's 1986 C20 Crewcab 4WD swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

helipirate

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey all,

I am doing a 4wd swap and other mods on my 86 C20 Crewcab. There is tons of misinformation and 4wd swap threads that were never completed so I wanted to document my swap so others can do it. I also want input on things I might be doing wrong from others that know more about this stuff because I don't know a lot. I hope to one day do a Duramax swap with the truck or at the least a turbo LS. But the main goal is just to have a 4wd daily. Around here (Utah) every 4wd crewcab I could find was rusted and beat to death and they still wanted a minimum of $7000 to buy. I got this C20 for not a lot and there really isn't much rust at all. Currently it has a 350 with Holley Sniper (which has been nothing but problems). I have a Dana 60 that I rebuilt completely, crossover steering, some 22 inch rims and 35 inch tires ready to be put on but need to do my 6 inch lift and 4swap first.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

helipirate

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I am starting with the rear first. The truck will be lifted 6 inches based off a 4wd truck, so more than that off of the truck as is. I am using a Offroad design shackle flip kit. 2 1/2 inches with 6 inch shackles and some 2 inch custom lift springs from Offroad Design for the rear. I have an Atchinson Technologies spring perch for the front of the rear spring. I ordered everything as a K30 since the crewcabs all use a 1 ton frame (from what I know). None of this uses the stock bolt/rivet holes as some forums lead you to believe.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I did not realize aftermarket K30 perches were available. What's a pair of those run?

And you are 100% correct, basically no holes line up between 2wd and 4x4. Not even the front hanger/core support mounts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120