HEI Distributor Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
How much taller, if any, is a HEI dizzy? I don't have one in hand to know. I'd like to put one in my 74 to replace the points dizzy, but not if I can't retain the OE air cleaner...then I'll just go pertronics.

THANKS!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Don't know how much taller than a points type but I can tell you that a HEI will fit in it's place. This is my 74 that was original points style converted to HEI. It's tight but will work.

Attachments

• Img_0445.jpg
    Img_0445.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 78

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Robert, that is one clean looking engine compartment. woodsrider if you want to keep the stock air cleaner and the hei interferes why not just get the factory lower housing for hei and put your lid on it highdesertranger

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's even tight for OEM HEI trucks. It should work without issues.

Yeah, don't mind Robert. :flipthebird: He likes to post that pic of his super clean OEM engine whereever he can. If he could drive around without fenders and a hood he would. :laughing1: Hell, I prolly would too !!! :shrug:

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Thanks for the replies. That is indeed one spotless engine bay. My 74 air cleaner doesn't look like that. Mine has the heater tube off the exh manifold, and hot air choke. The body is probably 2-3" more in diameter than that. I guess when you think about it top of q-jet is same no matter what. Stock points dizzy it tight, so wanted to make sure. New HEI vs Pertronics is same $$, but I'd rather go HEI for obvious reasons. THANKS!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That is a stock air cleaner off a 77. The engine the cleaner came off of had a heater tube off the exhaust manifold and hot air choke.

Thanks guys for the compliment on the engine. I got to get rid of the wiring and install the Vintage air system.

Yeah, don't mind Robert. :flipthebird: He likes to post that pic of his super clean OEM engine whereever he can. If he could drive around without fenders and a hood he would. :laughing1: Hell, I prolly would too !!! :shrug:

If I drive around without the fenders and hood I might get my engine dirty!!:Pshyco:

Hotrod you wouldn't like it. I would just lay there and be no fun at all. :321:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That is a stock air cleaner off a 77. The engine the cleaner came off of had a heater tube off the exhaust manifold and hot air choke.

Thanks guys for the compliment on the engine. I got to get rid of the wiring and install the Vintage air system.

If I drive around without the fenders and hood I might get my engine dirty!!:Pshyco:

Hotrod you wouldn't like it. I would just lay there and be no fun at all. :321:

Naw, I wouldn't like it !!! Me no swing that way. :yucky:

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
That's good to know. Something to keep an eye out for if I run into issues down the road with the current 1" intake hole in the cleaner...LOL.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Don't know how much taller than a points type but I can tell you that a HEI will fit in it's place. This is my 74 that was original points style converted to HEI. It's tight but will work.

I did the same with my '73, but I've got the big block... Not quite as tight.

Hey Robert, Is that the original wire loom on the firewall? Mine disintegrated before I got ahold of the truck. Would love to replace it, but can't find them.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If you are talking about the plastic tube that the wire is in I would say yes. I am in the process of re-wiring the truck and I am going to hide as much wiring as I can so that will go away. It will be a few weeks before I remove it but if you want it you can have it for shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 65

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d