Headlight issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orange

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7L V8
I’ve had this problem for a few months now on my 87 gmc. It started out with the left blinker now working while the lights were on and now it evolved into this huge mess. I’m not good with electronics so I don’t even know where to start, can anyone help?
You must be registered for see images attach
This is high beams
You must be registered for see images attach

This is low beams

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Check the ground connectors inside the bulb holders. Mine had an issue where the turn signals wouldn’t flash when the headlights were on(they would flash once or twice and then go solid) and it turned out the ground connector on one of the side markers had broken off inside the bulb connector. I was able to shove it back in there and twist it into place to get wedged in there and had worked perfect ever since.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'd start sanding all the bulb contacts and connections. Unplug the headlights sand the terminals put sockets back on.remove all the mini bulbs sand the outside of the metal base, sand the lead terminals, sand the inside of the lamp socket including the contacts. Still have a problem put a mirror where you can watch the bulbs while you wiggle the wiring harness starting at the bulbs and working back,to the harness ground undo it sand everything and put it back together.

Last edited:

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I had a grounding issue on my drivers side headlight, the wires wire bent too harshly so I took the strain out of them and it seemed to fix it. Occasionally I would have to re-adjust the grounds if the light went dim again.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'd start by sanding all the bulb contacts and connections. Unplug the headlights sand the terminals put sockets back on.remove all the mini bulbs sand the outside of the metal base, sand the lead terminals, sand the inside of the lamp socket including the contacts. Still have a problem put a mirror where you can watch the bulbs while you wiggle the wiring harness starting at the bulbs and working back,to the harness ground undo it sand everything and put it back together.

Orange

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7L V8
Also a side note, the left indicator dash light comes on solid when the lights are on

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Check each ground. If you have to occasionally wiggle the wires, you don’t have a good ground. As mentioned before, lightly sand every bulb connector, lightly sand the bulb contacts, coat the socket with dielectric grease and reinstall the bulbs.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Also a side note, the left indicator dash light comes on solid when the lights are on

Make sure someone hasn’t put a single filament bulb (1156 bulb) in place where a dual filament bulb (1157) should be.

Another possibility is a bad ground on the left turn signal socket, or a defective socket itself.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Grounding issue.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI

What you see on the dash and what is lit outside have nothing to do with each other.

The sockets/connectors on these lights do tend to get green crusties and pin fin fitment tension is weakened over time. With the headlights on, just reach behind and wiggle the connector. If light flickers or changes intensity, just change the socket/connector. They aren't expensive. But PLEASE, for the love of God... use marine grade heat shrink or crimp connectors. DON'T use scotch locks or cheap Harbor Freight butt connectors.

Poor ground is also a huge factor. They tend to daisy chain the ground so points can also corrode over time.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
The Black wire ground problems throughout the "forward lamp harness" could be the result of a poorly done press crimp as most all those wires are crimped together in the wiring, dip soldered and then wrapped with duct tape. I have seen some crimps where a wire or 2 would be lucky to have even one strand "caught" in the crimp. Look inside the conduit.

Crusader fixer

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Diesel
A different headlight issue.
I also had gremlins and knew about the ground problems but now I have a headlight relay kicking in and out on high beam only.
Suggestions?

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
A different headlight issue.
I also had gremlins and knew about the ground problems but now I have a headlight relay kicking in and out on high beam only.
Suggestions?
Check pin fitment at the relay. Or the relay itself. To activate a relay, it's minimal current... so fitment could be the only issue... or losing the control signal from the switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84