Headlight, driving lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
A couple little updates on the lights. Ever since I installed the Hella fog lights (remember I reused the PO's wiring and switch for the fogs) He had it on a rocker switch would get hot every time I ran the fog lights. I knew I needed to do something about it but never got around to it. Well a couple weeks ago that switch went out, so I replaced it with a 20 amp toggle switch, over kill I know but guess what, the fogs are a little brighter! Still haven't installed the headlight relay kit, I did order the yellow bulbs, but still have not installed them.

Just yesterday I learned a new use for the fog lights. I was in the next town over picking something up off Craigslist, and was driving though a very poorly light neighborhood and realized the house numbers were painted on the curb, a quick flick of the fog light switch and I could read them. Get to where I'm suppose to pick up at and pop the maglight off the charger load up what I'm picking up thank the man and leave.
Appreciate the update! Yeah. That's one thing I miss about having fog lights... Though there's no moisture, fog, or snow where I live now, they'd still be useful for things like you mentioned, as well as navigating in tight areas off road.

I have a dimmer switch that's getting pretty toasty when I drive with the high beams on for long periods of time... should probably change it before it toasts some wires or terminals, as I do use my brights a lot. Fortunately, I never got around to mounting this one on top of the column when the original dimmer switch welded itself together 15 years ago, so it'll be easy to swap out... should get off of my dead ass and install it properly.

you may be interested in switchback LEDs for your turn signals too if youre liking that so far
The only switchback LED's I like are the ones that magically switch back to incandescents ;).

The park/turn signal optics on 1983-88 Squares, both single and quad headlamp models, are excellent with stock bulbs. While you might be able to find a LED replacement that will work adequately, you won't gain anything by doing so. Jus sayin' ...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Appreciate the update! Yeah. That's one thing I miss about having fog lights... Though there's no moisture, fog, or snow where I live now, they'd still be useful for things like you mentioned, as well as navigating in tight areas off road.

I have a dimmer switch that's getting pretty toasty when I drive with the high beams on for long periods of time... should probably change it before it toasts some wires or terminals, as I do use my brights a lot. Fortunately, I never got around to mounting this one on top of the column when the original dimmer switch welded itself together 15 years ago, so it'll be easy to swap out... should get off of my dead ass and install it properly.

The only switchback LED's I like are the ones that magically switch back to incandescents ;).

The park/turn signal optics on 1983-88 Squares, both single and quad headlamp models, are excellent with stock bulbs. While you might be able to find a LED replacement that will work adequately, you won't gain anything by doing so. Jus sayin' ...
no the point of what im saying is that the switchbacks would be a driving light DRL while not turn signaling but park lamps are on. they actually can be decent illuminators depending on the housing, but they would excellent to have as that safety idea. the amber and LED aspect are actually not what i was even thinking about for this purpose, just the dual function of the lamp for the housing

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No, No LEDs anywhere on my truck, not my thing, thanks anyway.
thats fine, do you know what i was talking about tho, functionally?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
if you watch that for like 10 seconds, youll see what i meant. im not trying to convince you but just see what i was trying to convey. its cool regardless of the lamps you use.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
thats fine, do you know what i was talking about tho, functionally?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
if you watch that for like 10 seconds, youll see what i meant. im not trying to convince you but just see what i was trying to convey. its cool regardless of the lamps you use.
Yeppers. I knew what you were talking about, and I agree that the effect is cool. The one big downside to it is that those take away your parking light function to replace it with a DRL, which is too high of an intensity to use as a parking light at night. I have seen LED switchback bulbs with turn signal and parking light, but never with those functions *and* a DRL... all three included in one bulb would be neat.

The two colors from one lens has been employed from time to time with regular light bulbs, too. 1962-68 Cadillacs used clear lenses (or red with clear sections) that light up red for tail/brake/turn, and white for reverse. The central mounted reverse light(s) on 1966 Thunderbirds also illuminated red with the tail lights. There were also a few cars that illuminated a cornering light with an amber bulb for a front side marker, then lit it with a bright white bulb when you signaled for a turn. These old school solutions weren't as eye catching as the modern LED setup, but still pretty sweet. I'd dig up some pictures, but am tired and have to be up in a few hours.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I have a dimmer switch that's getting pretty toasty when I drive with the high beams on for long periods of time.
Sounds like the headlight relay conversion is for you.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeppers. I knew what you were talking about, and I agree that the effect is cool. The one big downside to it is that those take away your parking light function to replace it with a DRL, which is too high of an intensity to use as a parking light at night. I have seen LED switchback bulbs with turn signal and parking light, but never with those functions *and* a DRL... all three included in one bulb would be neat.

The two colors from one lens has been employed from time to time with regular light bulbs, too. 1962-68 Cadillacs used clear lenses (or red with clear sections) that light up red for tail/brake/turn, and white for reverse. The central mounted reverse light(s) on 1966 Thunderbirds also illuminated red with the tail lights. There were also a few cars that illuminated a cornering light with an amber bulb for a front side marker, then lit it with a bright white bulb when you signaled for a turn. These old school solutions weren't as eye catching as the modern LED setup, but still pretty sweet. I'd dig up some pictures, but am tired and have to be up in a few hours.
Its funny you mention cornering lamps, I put amber into my corner lamps, I personally dig it more than regular. because of the very obvious and nearby turn signal I didnt think it would constitute any safety problem and in fact it may just help bring attention to the turn signals in my opinion.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Ellie Niner I'm actually thinking about replacing my column high / low changer with a floor unit. Why might you ask, well I kind of prefer the floor changer and the wiring is a cinch. My plan is to leave the column switch on the column so the turn signal lever isn't floppy.

@AuroraGirl Ok thanks now I understand. Still not for me. I know some folks including you have had great success with LEDs and I don't want to take anything away from that. I've said my piece in the past on why I don't like drop in LED bulbs and troubles I've seen them cause. So it's a pass for me.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
@SirRobyn0 I've been debating the same thing too, as I generally prefer floor dimmer switches as well.

@Snoots I do a lot of night driving, so that would be a worthwhile upgrade. I've been planning on doing it for about the last 15 years, but keep putting it off. Having done lots of wiring, I was going to "roll my own" harness... probably should just buy a prefab kit and be done with it.

@AuroraGirl I find cornering lamps to be pretty useful, and wish more vehicles had them. 1986-88 Mercury Sables have amber cornering lamps from the factory (clear bulb behind an orange lens). Can't think of any other vehicle that had that setup from the factory, but I'm sure there are a few more...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@SirRobyn0 I've been debating the same thing too, as I generally prefer floor dimmer switches as well.

@Snoots I do a lot of night driving, so that would be a worthwhile upgrade. I've been planning on doing it for about the last 15 years, but keep putting it off. Having done lots of wiring, I was going to "roll my own" harness... probably should just buy a prefab kit and be done with it.

@AuroraGirl I find cornering lamps to be pretty useful, and wish more vehicles had them. 1986-88 Mercury Sables have amber cornering lamps from the factory (clear bulb behind an orange lens). Can't think of any other vehicle that had that setup from the factory, but I'm sure there are a few more...
Gm liked their opaque white lenses over standard bulbs for sure

I had even looked up fed and state Regs to make sure it was ok for my car and iirc fed disallows them to be on with hazzards and not allowed to be red, wisconsin says amber or white

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Of course you know the floor switch is just three wires, and the column switch is three wires. To me it looks like the same plug and it looks like the wiring is long enough to simply be re-routed to a floor switch. If the wiring turns out to be to short I'll just purchase the generic GM floor switch pigtail, and put some male spade terminals on it to connect into the existing wiring without having to cut up the harness. I think it would be a darn simple thing to switch over.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305

Its funny you mention cornering lamps, I put amber into my corner lamps, I personally dig it more than regular. because of the very obvious and nearby turn signal I didnt think it would constitute any safety problem and in fact it may just help bring attention to the turn signals in my opinion.
That Buick looks confused.:confused:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Side story for all the lighting folks following this thread. I think I mentioned at one point in this thread that my 1996 Grand Cherokee has terrible headlights too, especially in fowl weather. It's got practically new factory headlight buckets, which are better than the old yellowed water infiltrated units were but they still suck and I was reminded of that tonight. In the last 3 1/2 years since I got the square I no longer drive the Jeep to the shop and back, it's pretty much limited to the occasion on the weekend where I take the dog somewhere and it's not in the wifes van. Or I'm going somewhere I know there will be tight parking. Well I drove it to the shop today just to get it out, and on the way home was reminded of how badly the headlights perform. I think I'll pull the trigger on 450 fog lights for it to now. Especially since I'm thinking of driving it a little more on days I know I won't need the truck as it does do a touch better on gas, which is hitting $4 a gallon here.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Side story for all the lighting folks following this thread. I think I mentioned at one point in this thread that my 1996 Grand Cherokee has terrible headlights too, especially in fowl weather. It's got practically new factory headlight buckets, which are better than the old yellowed water infiltrated units were but they still suck and I was reminded of that tonight. In the last 3 1/2 years since I got the square I no longer drive the Jeep to the shop and back, it's pretty much limited to the occasion on the weekend where I take the dog somewhere and it's not in the wifes van. Or I'm going somewhere I know there will be tight parking. Well I drove it to the shop today just to get it out, and on the way home was reminded of how badly the headlights perform. I think I'll pull the trigger on 450 fog lights for it to now. Especially since I'm thinking of driving it a little more on days I know I won't need the truck as it does do a touch better on gas, which is hitting $4 a gallon here.
You could try an aftermarket housing that isnt like the OE

I know you hate LED, but this im about to show you isnt something you need to use LED with it

The left is the normal OE design, the right is a reflector type. If you buy something like that, maybe not those, you probably could have a more desired lighting quality

The ones listed are low quality and i wouldnt trust that.. plus its smoked, there is probably a quality kind out there.

I want to do something similar with the F150 eventually

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I did get those yellow fog light covers for my LED offroad lights. I put them on the "pencil" beam ones. There is no upper cutoff, so it isn't ideal. But the yellow was much better to see with when I drove thru a snowstorm and can see better contrast with snow on the ground. Not as blinding.

full

full

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man