Headlight, driving lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Its the one I was thinking of. I can still get a pic I was just in garage and forgot phone but they arent super super strong, then again, 50mph wind turbulance off a truck and trailer is a lot of force too so I may be thinking its not up to snuff lol
If you feel the magnets would not be up to snuff for the job then I'll pass for now. Thanks for going and looking I do appreciate it.

I did get the fogs today, but IDK when I'll be installing them, if my schedule holds true I'm in for a busy day at work tomorrow and a busy Friday, Saturday and Sunday on the farm, but hoping to ekk out a little time for my projects. We'll see....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you feel the magnets would not be up to snuff for the job then I'll pass for now. Thanks for going and looking I do appreciate it.

I did get the fogs today, but IDK when I'll be installing them, if my schedule holds true I'm in for a busy day at work tomorrow and a busy Friday, Saturday and Sunday on the farm, but hoping to ekk out a little time for my projects. We'll see....
I think 2 next to eachother would be up to snuff but then of course, you dont want to try and figure out 2. You could always go rob a microwave or something. Also, Ive gotten a rEALLY strong magnet on amazon before that I used to move a needle on an instrument cluster but it was a small cube, iT actually broke itself when it accidently lunged toward a metal door Lol. The chunks were so strong you could make a small sardine can type box with some on one side and the other and then fill it in with epoxy or something and wrap it with a non scratch something outside and have a really small profile base. Just an idea lol. I was so sad when it broke because getting the bits off was harder than youd think it would be lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think 2 next to eachother would be up to snuff but then of course, you dont want to try and figure out 2. You could always go rob a microwave or something. Also, Ive gotten a rEALLY strong magnet on amazon before that I used to move a needle on an instrument cluster but it was a small cube, iT actually broke itself when it accidently lunged toward a metal door Lol. The chunks were so strong you could make a small sardine can type box with some on one side and the other and then fill it in with epoxy or something and wrap it with a non scratch something outside and have a really small profile base. Just an idea lol. I was so sad when it broke because getting the bits off was harder than youd think it would be lol
I've actually got a dead microwave we just replaced... What's the harm it would be free to take it apart and at least consider it.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you posted I may as well mention that there will be no update on the fog lights until next week sometime. I did take delivery of the lights on Wednesday at the shop, but I needed the square Wednesday and Thursday so I drove it to work, and forgot to bring them home Thursday after work. With the shop well over an hour away and busy weekend, I won't running into the city for them. It'll be a quick enough swap to do at the shop during the week though.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I was trying to find this thread last week. Had to do a search today to see what you bought. I wrote it down. This will be on my list of improvements to the '81, too.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo The difference is amazing. My truck has the best headlights of all of our vehicles now. My one and only thing I don't like, is that I bought the hella headlight bulb labeled 50% brighter and put those in the hella buckets. A year later I just burned out my first bulb. I'd like a little better bulb life than that, but if a yearly bulb change is required I can live with that.

Also I will add that I put a set of 450 fogs on my Jeep which has always had underwhelming headlights, and just to fogs alone will really help to light up the road close to the vehicle and avoid me getting totally blinded at least. But the combo on the truck. The hella buckets and the 550 fogs... Yea, that's the good stuff right there. Can't say enough about it.

I've got a set of hella buckets sitting around somewhere for my 77 Cadillac I just haven't installed them. I really should do that one of these days.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I was going to ask you for the Hella part numbers because I could not find what I was looking for. I finally went to summit, and found the 4656/4651 conversion buckets/housings, and decided to get the 6054 conversion housings for my jeep, all six should be here by next week. I recently bought the big 7 upgrade from jeep cables, a veteran-owned company in Washington, and when they became available, the headlight relay kit from them, too. The jeep will get upgraded across the board with better power and ground circuits as well as HB2 or 9003 bulbs. The 81 will get the upgraded once I get the relay kit, which will have to wait until next payday.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I was going to ask you for the Hella part numbers because I could not find what I was looking for. I finally went to summit, and found the 4656/4651 conversion buckets/housings, and decided to get the 6054 conversion housings for my jeep, all six should be here by next week. I recently bought the big 7 upgrade from jeep cables, a veteran-owned company in Washington, and when they became available, the headlight relay kit from them, too. The jeep will get upgraded across the board with better power and ground circuits as well as HB2 or 9003 bulbs. The 81 will get the upgraded once I get the relay kit, which will have to wait until next payday.
I bought all my stuff from Amazon. I'm getting quite the long list of things I need to do to the Cadillac, but I had to drive it at night just a little while ago. I was remind that the choke sticks closed once in a while and that the headlights suck.....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I bought all my stuff from Amazon. I'm getting quite the long list of things I need to do to the Cadillac, but I had to drive it at night just a little while ago. I was remind that the choke sticks closed once in a while and that the headlights suck.....
is the aiming right? my old 77 LTD actually had kick ass headlights for an old car , but it had a fresh voltage regulator and 4 6 inch circular lamps. I assume your cadillac has square ones. is it a D body caddilac? Does it ride level?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
is the aiming right? my old 77 LTD actually had kick ass headlights for an old car , but it had a fresh voltage regulator and 4 6 inch circular lamps. I assume your cadillac has square ones. is it a D body caddilac? Does it ride level?
IDK it's body designation, it's a 77 Fleetwood, this is not a picture of the actual car but it looks just like this one.

You must be registered for see images attach

They are aligned correctly. And the high beams are pretty good, it's just the low beams suck. It's fine if I meet few other cars on the road, but add a lot of traffic and rain it gets tough to see the road, same complaint I had with the square before I upgraded it. Literally all modern car on coming headlights overwhelm the cars headlights. I've got hella buckets and bulbs for it already, I just need to figure out where they are and install them. I don't drive the car much at all so it's easy for me to let stuff like that slide.

Oh and it has functional air ride so yes it rides level.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
IDK it's body designation, it's a 77 Fleetwood, this is not a picture of the actual car but it looks just like this one.

They are aligned correctly. And the high beams are pretty good, it's just the low beams suck. It's fine if I meet few other cars on the road, but add a lot of traffic and rain it gets tough to see the road, same complaint I had with the square before I upgraded it. Literally all modern car on coming headlights overwhelm the cars headlights. I've got hella buckets and bulbs for it already, I just need to figure out where they are and install them. I don't drive the car much at all so it's easy for me to let stuff like that slide.

I would deep clean the windshield , and assure your wiper arms are properly swiping the blades on the windshield. Youd be surprised at what you get off that windshield , clay bar with a hose works well outside. Also, make your dash and any other aluminum/stainless objects in your vision(Like your wiper arms) nonreflective like with paint or something matte

That should help a lot as well

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would deep clean the windshield , and assure your wiper arms are properly swiping the blades on the windshield. Youd be surprised at what you get off that windshield , clay bar with a hose works well outside. Also, make your dash and any other aluminum/stainless objects in your vision(Like your wiper arms) nonreflective like with paint or something matte

That should help a lot as well
I've played around with a clay bar a little but never thought to try it on glass....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I've played around with a clay bar a little but never thought to try it on glass....
if you got a hose setting it up to constantly wet the windshield(I used a light pole that has a small wheel for a base with a light and outlet on it and tied the hose with zip ties and then worked clay bar. I Would definitely clean it as well as you can with normal cleaner and maybe even a bug/tar remover so the clay bar doesnt get loaded. Its surprising how much is on an apparently clean windshield.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size

I will be getting the round one's for Crusty Biscuit next payday. Even the relay kit with sealed beam halogens is an improvement, but still can't compete with the modern peel-off-your-skin-intensity-lighting.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
For the 4 headlight setups, what bulb goes in the high beam bucket? 9003 seems to be the low beam/high beam bulb, and is the top buckets on my 81. Bottom being high beam.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo My truck is a 2 headlight system so I have no idea really. But If I were a betting man I'd bet the 9003 / H4 goes in all 4 positions. I say that based off of various other vehicles that came factory running bulbs like that. My 88 Olds I use to own was like that. I remember swapping a high beam position bulb to a low beam position so they would all work one night very late at night on the Oregon coast driving home from California.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara