Headlight, driving lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I did get those yellow fog light covers for my LED offroad lights. I put them on the "pencil" beam ones. There is no upper cutoff, so it isn't ideal. But the yellow was much better to see with when I drove thru a snowstorm and can see better contrast with snow on the ground. Not as blinding.

full

full
nice photo thats actually amazing, i may need to get this technology utilized on a vehicle of mine

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You could try an aftermarket housing that isnt like the OE

I know you hate LED, but this im about to show you isnt something you need to use LED with it
You must be registered for see images attach

The left is the normal OE design, the right is a reflector type. If you buy something like that, maybe not those, you probably could have a more desired lighting quality

The ones listed are low quality and i wouldnt trust that.. plus its smoked, there is probably a quality kind out there.

I want to do something similar with the F150 eventually

Yea, the thing is when I bought the new factory style buckets a few years ago I just didn't know that there really were any other options. I do wanna put fogs on it. After that we'll see if I can live with the factory buckets or if there is something out there that I might like better.

I did get those yellow fog light covers for my LED offroad lights. I put them on the "pencil" beam ones. There is no upper cutoff, so it isn't ideal. But the yellow was much better to see with when I drove thru a snowstorm and can see better contrast with snow on the ground. Not as blinding.
Yea, that pictures are amazing. I'd like to have something like that for the fogs on the truck, a simple yellow cover that I could snap on when needed. I will have to see if Hella offers something like that!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yea, the thing is when I bought the new factory style buckets a few years ago I just didn't know that there really were any other options. I do wanna put fogs on it. After that we'll see if I can live with the factory buckets or if there is something out there that I might like better.

Yea, that pictures are amazing. I'd like to have something like that for the fogs on the truck, a simple yellow cover that I could snap on when needed. I will have to see if Hella offers something like that!
There weretn that many a few years ago, so youre good!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok I promised you guys @Ellie Niner @77 K20 @AuroraGirl I'd make mention of this when it occurred, even though it's not on a square. I do want to preface this by saying since it's not on a square I understand if your not interested. So two weeks ago we took a camping trip in the motorhome and towed the Jeep. One day we took a little day drive and came back to camp after dark. Even though it was a clear night, I was reminded how much the Jeep headlights suck, they are okish on a straight road, though you don't see much to the sides at all, but especially on curvy roads that are unfamiliar they are terrible. So as soon as we got home I made my selection and ordered a pair of clear Hella 450 fogs. I have not yet had it out in the dark, but I'll be driving the Jeep to the shop more as it gets a little better mileage than the truck does. We are now to the point where the days are getting longer so only on the earliest days will I be driving it in the dark, but I want to have them there and ready to go when needed. The Jeep came factory with fog lights, they were gone before I bought it, but the wiring and factory switch was still there so installation was easy, though I can't mount them in the factory location. I will adjust them at work on Monday on the shop door.

Meet my Jeep.

Definitely smaller than the 550's I put on the truck, so we'll see how they perform. And yes I know I'm loosing at least some light on the spare tire, but the Jeep was bought partly to be a TV behind the motorhome, and it needs to accommodate 2 adults and a great dane, so the spare had to leave the interior. I was able to build the front mount for far less than a rear gate swinging mount would have cost.

Thank you all who have educated me on aftermarket lighting, I would never have done this without your help. I actually ordered 2 pairs of the 450's so still have a set to put on another vehicle, just not sure which one it will be yet. Either the RV or the wife's van.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ok I promised you guys @Ellie Niner @77 K20 @AuroraGirl I'd make mention of this when it occurred, even though it's not on a square. I do want to preface this by saying since it's not on a square I understand if your not interested. So two weeks ago we took a camping trip in the motorhome and towed the Jeep. One day we took a little day drive and came back to camp after dark. Even though it was a clear night, I was reminded how much the Jeep headlights suck, they are okish on a straight road, though you don't see much to the sides at all, but especially on curvy roads that are unfamiliar they are terrible. So as soon as we got home I made my selection and ordered a pair of clear Hella 450 fogs. I have not yet had it out in the dark, but I'll be driving the Jeep to the shop more as it gets a little better mileage than the truck does. We are now to the point where the days are getting longer so only on the earliest days will I be driving it in the dark, but I want to have them there and ready to go when needed. The Jeep came factory with fog lights, they were gone before I bought it, but the wiring and factory switch was still there so installation was easy, though I can't mount them in the factory location. I will adjust them at work on Monday on the shop door.

Meet my Jeep.

Definitely smaller than the 550's I put on the truck, so we'll see how they perform. And yes I know I'm loosing at least some light on the spare tire, but the Jeep was bought partly to be a TV behind the motorhome, and it needs to accommodate 2 adults and a great dane, so the spare had to leave the interior. I was able to build the front mount for far less than a rear gate swinging mount would have cost.

Thank you all who have educated me on aftermarket lighting, I would never have done this without your help. I actually ordered 2 pairs of the 450's so still have a set to put on another vehicle, just not sure which one it will be yet. Either the RV or the wife's van.
do you have a hitch? you may be able to put a spare tire on a bought or homemade carrier and just lock the pin.

also, is it 4x4, if not or if you can select 2wd, you can find a donut spare or slim down the wheel and tire possibly keep a similar size diameter , just a thought. looks like a 5x114.3 pattern with kinda normal backspacing

but looks nice even where they are lol

Are your headlights aimed? The pass side looks up and outward while the driver side almost looks slightly down and inward with the light under it being slightly "in" but would be from old plastic and age more than adjustment(shouldnt have any)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
do you have a hitch? you may be able to put a spare tire on a bought or homemade carrier and just lock the pin.

also, is it 4x4, if not or if you can select 2wd, you can find a donut spare or slim down the wheel and tire possibly keep a similar size diameter , just a thought. looks like a 5x114.3 pattern with kinda normal backspacing

but looks nice even where they are lol

Are your headlights aimed? The pass side looks up and outward while the driver side almost looks slightly down and inward with the light under it being slightly "in" but would be from old plastic and age more than adjustment(shouldnt have any)
I thought about the hitch idea, but then how would I the get the dog in and out? Initially I kept the spare inside and would put it on the roof when we were camping, but when we take a day trip camping we wanted to be able to put the carrier up there with a cooler rain gear dog stuff ect. On the front it's there and stays there and isn't in the way as long as I keep a good fan clutch on the engine.

Good eye on the headlights. I noticed the same thing on the right side. It's been since I replaced the buckets that I aimed the headlights, so I'll be checking them when I set the aim on the fogs.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well you ever make a stupid mistake follow all the way though with it and then comes the duh moment? Well I went to aim my new fog lights and the moment I turned them on I knew something was wrong. I went and looked at my online order and sure enough, I'd accidentally ordered DRIVING lights, not FOG lights... Grrr. If I'd just been a little more careful when placing the order. Oh, well I have the fog lights coming now and they should be here tomorrow. I'm not really sure that I'll be able to return the driving lights since at this point all the packaging has been opened and I've installed them.... But that isn't all bad, if I can't return them they'll probably find their way on to my tractor, or I was almost thinking of mounting them to magnets, like if I can find an old wasted set of magnetic towing lights. Then set the lights up on alligator clips or for a cig plug (would need to check draw on that first). Then I could use them as needed for lighting, like loading or unloading the truck in the dark, which happens more than I'd like in the winter time.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well you ever make a stupid mistake follow all the way though with it and then comes the duh moment? Well I went to aim my new fog lights and the moment I turned them on I knew something was wrong. I went and looked at my online order and sure enough, I'd accidentally ordered DRIVING lights, not FOG lights... Grrr. If I'd just been a little more careful when placing the order. Oh, well I have the fog lights coming now and they should be here tomorrow. I'm not really sure that I'll be able to return the driving lights since at this point all the packaging has been opened and I've installed them.... But that isn't all bad, if I can't return them they'll probably find their way on to my tractor, or I was almost thinking of mounting them to magnets, like if I can find an old wasted set of magnetic towing lights. Then set the lights up on alligator clips or for a cig plug (would need to check draw on that first). Then I could use them as needed for lighting, like loading or unloading the truck in the dark, which happens more than I'd like in the winter time.
do you have a junk set?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
do you have a junk set?
No. I have one set that I've had for a looong time and they are still going just fine. If I don't just stumble onto a set somewhere, I see amazon has new elcheapo sets for $20, but the base and magnets probably aren't as good as if I find an old worn out set, but I'm sure I could make do with that method if needed.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No. I have one set that I've had for a looong time and they are still going just fine. If I don't just stumble onto a set somewhere, I see amazon has new elcheapo sets for $20, but the base and magnets probably aren't as good as if I find an old worn out set, but I'm sure I could make do with that method if needed.
I have a broken set thtt the wiring went junky on me somewhere inside the one that the plug goes to, then the crossover to the other side light was just not working. It also wouldnt work on park lamps lol.

I have two sets, I cant remember if it was this set(1st) or one I had bought from farm and fleet(2nd) that had a weaker magnet base. depending on which one it may be what youre seeking. But the 2nd ones magnet is significantly weaker. I remember when I dropped the 1st set accidently and next to the trailer(square bed) and it went and caught the bedside and that gave me a laugh lol. just shy of being able to standoff the side of the bed while being pulled at 55. almost strong enough lol.

I had ended up taking those generic lights out of the taillight spot and then just attaching them 90 degrees "standing off" the bedside but fit nicely into that so it held it.

If you want me to look I can.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a broken set thtt the wiring went junky on me somewhere inside the one that the plug goes to, then the crossover to the other side light was just not working. It also wouldnt work on park lamps lol.

I have two sets, I cant remember if it was this set(1st) or one I had bought from farm and fleet(2nd) that had a weaker magnet base. depending on which one it may be what youre seeking. But the 2nd ones magnet is significantly weaker. I remember when I dropped the 1st set accidently and next to the trailer(square bed) and it went and caught the bedside and that gave me a laugh lol. just shy of being able to standoff the side of the bed while being pulled at 55. almost strong enough lol.

I had ended up taking those generic lights out of the taillight spot and then just attaching them 90 degrees "standing off" the bedside but fit nicely into that so it held it.

If you want me to look I can.
If you wanna, I'll pay for the shipping and IDK what do you want for the broken set?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you wanna, I'll pay for the shipping and IDK what do you want for the broken set?
Well Ill make sure first, if its not the first one I frankly think it would be too weak for your light(how much each weigh you think?) and since I stole the light covers for one that took a dive to the pavement accidently (the cover fell off lol) and Accidently broke one etc And the wiring I stole to lengthen the crossover It wouldnt weigh much just would have to package it appropiately for 2 magnets and do googling if I need to do something special for that lol. Not much but Ill get back to you to see if they are the right kind.

richard A lindner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard lindner
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Go to harbor frt. Buy 2 of there small parts tray. Good strong magnets on the tray. Cheep price

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well Ill make sure first, if its not the first one I frankly think it would be too weak for your light(how much each weigh you think?) and since I stole the light covers for one that took a dive to the pavement accidently (the cover fell off lol) and Accidently broke one etc And the wiring I stole to lengthen the crossover It wouldnt weigh much just would have to package it appropiately for 2 magnets and do googling if I need to do something special for that lol. Not much but Ill get back to you to see if they are the right kind.
Ok thank you, let me know. IDK what they weigh, but I could weigh one. There is considerably more metal and size to a hella 450 VS a towing light.

FYI Taylor as far as shipping I don't think magnets are considered hazardous and I have a business address that can except shipments from pretty much any carrier that is convenient for you, if it turns out you have something.
Go to harbor frt. Buy 2 of there small parts tray. Good strong magnets on the tray. Cheep price
This is a possibility and I'm glad you brought up this idea. $12 for a double magnetic tray. IDK I have a couple of the little round HFT parts tray at work, those have way less holding power than my towing lights. I've also got a couple of double magnetic trays, those might be enough. I use those trays so would need to buy fresh ones and probably weld something to the bottom of the tray as a spacer / bracket or the bolt that the lights use to mount with would hit the vehicle before the magnets. I still think I'd rather have good strong set of tow light magnets. My tow lights at least you have to give them a good jerk to break them free, and they are a stacked magnet. IDK if they are all like that and it really doesn't matter as long as whatever I use is strong enough. This will be my back up plan.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ok thank you, let me know. IDK what they weigh, but I could weigh one. There is considerably more metal and size to a hella 450 VS a towing light.

FYI Taylor as far as shipping I don't think magnets are considered hazardous and I have a business address that can except shipments from pretty much any carrier that is convenient for you, if it turns out you have something.

This is a possibility and I'm glad you brought up this idea. $12 for a double magnetic tray. IDK I have a couple of the little round HFT parts tray at work, those have way less holding power than my towing lights. I've also got a couple of double magnetic trays, those might be enough. I use those trays so would need to buy fresh ones and probably weld something to the bottom of the tray as a spacer / bracket or the bolt that the lights use to mount with would hit the vehicle before the magnets. I still think I'd rather have good strong set of tow light magnets. My tow lights at least you have to give them a good jerk to break them free, and they are a stacked magnet. IDK if they are all like that and it really doesn't matter as long as whatever I use is strong enough. This will be my back up plan.
Its the one I was thinking of. I can still get a pic I was just in garage and forgot phone but they arent super super strong, then again, 50mph wind turbulance off a truck and trailer is a lot of force too so I may be thinking its not up to snuff lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84C20jb