headers??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qdime2

Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
could someone help me here. i own a 1973 gmc c 1500 with a 350 and would like to get headers for it. I see some on e-bay but don't know if I need Shortys or not. I have a automatic transmission don't know if that matters or not..

Thanks
Jose

82k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jerry barnard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 modified
it can depend will the truck be lowered long tubes can scrape if its lowered enough short tubes will be better for clearence . a shorty type header will give a better low to mid power long tubes do better at mid to high rpms. shorts are what i would get if the truck is lowered or if you need low to mid torque. the long tubes are what you want for mid to high end rpm power with long tubes you will lose some low end torque plus long tubes will need an exhaust change where short tubes for a majority rule will bolt to the stock exhaust.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry 82k20, you got that backwards.

Long tubes are more for lower rpm power.
Short tubes are more for upper rpm power.

I do agree with the stock versus lowered stance. Shorty's will help if you are lowering it. If it is stock, I would say go long tubes, I believe overall they are the best way to go. With either style, you will need to connect to your existing system. There are no true "plug and play" headers for our trucks.

Watch the specs on the e-bay ones. Most I have seen are 1 1/2" primaries. I like to see 1 5/8" primaries for a mostly stock street set-up. With that said, I have never run 1 1/2" primaries and never really heard feed back from people that have.

Look at summit. You can put in all the specs for your truck to get headers that will work.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No Green79, you have it backwards.

shorties are for low to mid range rpm power.
long tube is for mid to high rpm power.

long tubes create a negative wave pressure by pulling the exhaust down further therefore creating a better pull on the intake side. this is great for higher rpms/engines with bigger lobe separation.

shorties are good at dumping the exhaust out at lower rpm but they do not pull. this is increased performance at low rpms.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Believe what you want.

edit: Primary pipe length can also skew an engine's power curve based on length changes. Primary-pipe diameter establishes the peak torque point, so changing the pipe length will rock the output curve by pivoting it around that peak torque point. Graph B shows how longer tubes tend to increase power below peak torque while hurting power above peak torque. Shorter tubes tend to affect the engine in exactly the opposite way, hurting midrange torque in favor of increasing top-end power.

Read more: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/header_basics/#ixzz2pokuT0qT

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
hmmph... I stand corrected, therefore I am sorry.

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
TBI 350
I'm running pace setter shorties, I really dislike long tubes purely on the pain in the ass principle since I run all 4x4's. I can still change the starter without being mad with my shorties. The pace setters are a nice header with a good thick flange and a good price. The pace setters have two downsides though, the paint on them is not high temp and will burn off immediately and they do not come with the collector ring or the spring/bolt kit to attach your pipes. Probably why the price is right. Also, plugs are now a pain in the ass to change. :Frustrated:

82k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jerry barnard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 modified
my bad thanks for clearing that up green79 im like you if he can do long tubes go for them

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The 'ol butt dyno says long tubes work great, every old truck should have them IMHO.

qdime2

Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanx guys. Since my truck is scraping the pavement then I have no other choice than to go with shorties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt