Headers and Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatB

Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Couldn't find much info on what I needed. But does anyone know of any complete Flowmaster exhaust kits that would fit a K10 (350)? I am going with the Super 44s and 2.5" tubing and an H pipe. I found a kit but it only works with 2WD because of the H pipe placement.

I also need to find headers that would fit that exhaust.

A DIY universal kit could be an option, just depends on the amount of fabrication required. I'm not a welder lol. Thanks!

PatB

Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also, I forgot to mention, I am going to rebuild the engine into a 383.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I dont know about kits, (dont use them) but I have hedman elite heavy duty , thermal coated, headers and they are sweet, (14 gauge tube's, 3/8 inch flange) and fit great.

I always go to my favorite exhaust shop and get a nice custom job. Anyway I have 2 1/2 inch pipe, borla muffler's, and I had them put the h-pipe just past the the u-joint at the back of the t-case, angled up above the drive shaft so I can drop the trans. and t-case without having to pull the exhaust.

This system cost me 650 dollar's and I supplied the header's and muffler's.

Spendy but they do super great job the way I wanted and outstanding custom hanger's .

PatB

Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I'm trying to find a shop around here. Where did you get those headers at? They have Headmans on LMC but not sure of they're the same ones.

Was that $650 paid to your shop or does that include the price of parts you supplied?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I haven't looked to know for sure, but Jegs and Summit sell Hedman headers and likely for less than LMC does. They also offer free shipping on orders over 100 bucks.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Couldn't find much info on what I needed. But does anyone know of any complete Flowmaster exhaust kits that would fit a K10 (350)? I am going with the Super 44s and 2.5" tubing and an H pipe. I found a kit but it only works with 2WD because of the H pipe placement.

I also need to find headers that would fit that exhaust.

A DIY universal kit could be an option, just depends on the amount of fabrication required. I'm not a welder lol. Thanks!

Not Squarebody specific, no.

I dont know about kits, (dont use them) but I have hedman elite heavy duty , thermal coated, headers and they are sweet, (14 gauge tube's, 3/8 inch flange) and fit great.

I have Hedman #69830 saved in my Summit wishlist. Elite Heavy-Duty as mentioned. Saw them on a square a couple of years ago at the local car show. Talked with the guy and he loved everything about them.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Hedman Elite have the thickest tubing and the thickest flanges of any Headers they offer that fit the squarebody. I assume that means they should hold up quite a bit better.

Bruce

Last edited:

PatB

Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Found them on Summit. I may go with those. Any tips on installing headers? This is my first time and I am newer to the "advanced" part swapper. Anything I should be aware of while switching them out? Especially since I will eventually take it in to build it to a 383.

Thanks gents/ladies.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Found them on Summit. I may go with those. Any tips on installing headers? This is my first time and I am newer to the "advanced" part swapper. Anything I should be aware of while switching them out? Especially since I will eventually take it in to build it to a 383.

Thanks gents/ladies.

Yes you 'fit' them before you install them. Don't be afraid to bang clearance dents in them. Also you may very well need to reroute or move your starter
wires out of the way. I like to clean up my starter and apply heat reflective tape on the side nearest a header tube.

Also check for wrench clearance around the bolt holes. You may need to bang some clearance there as well. You dipstick mounting bracket may need some tweaking.

You also get into 'porting' your headers but that's more for the guy with a high revving 700 hp engine, who wants an additional .3 HP at 6200 rpm kinda thing.

If you buy regular painted headers, get them sandblasted and repaint with a heat paint. Or spring for ceramic/aluminum coated headers... or perhaps there is a coating shop nearby that will do it for you.

Time have changed, but some years I bought Hooker uncoated headers. I can not remember where, I got them online from the good 'ol USA. I had searched and found a coating shop that was nearby the online store. I contacted them and asked if I could get the parts store to deliver my headers to them, and they would coat them and ship to Canada for me. The coating chop and online store were both happy with this and however I dod pay for the coating, and shipping, there were no other charges for the favor both these companies did for me.

PatB

Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll keep that stuff in mind for sure. I am hoping there wouldn't be to much modification to put them on. I actually found a couple restoration shops around my area I will check out.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Yeah I'm trying to find a shop around here. Where did you get those headers at? They have Headmans on LMC but not sure of they're the same ones.

Was that $650 paid to your shop or does that include the price of parts you supplied?

No, 650 for labor and aluminized 2 1/2" pipe. I will look for the part # for my header's , I did not have to ding or modify anything, they fit great.

Another great header that I have on my big block square is the doug thorley tri y,s, bad ass header's as well.

Also check out the exhaust shop's work before you let them touch your square, there are some shady shop's out there that use cheap hanger's and clamp **** together instead of welding everything.

PatB

Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I found a exhaust shop who does good work and I am taking him Super 44s to install. My question now is if I should go to 2.5" or 3". I am leaning towards 2.5".

I have a 3" on my newer Camaro and that sounds way better than the stock 2.5". But totally different engine.

Only other future plans regarding the exhaust is Douglas Try-Ys on this engine.

Also, I do plan on getting a 383 crate engine and saving the stock engine. When putting in a crate engine, will I be able to use the same headers and exhaust or will I need to change all of that again?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I myself have always ran 2 1/2" pipe on pretty much everything I have built, (no cats). As far as your 383 you can re-use everything unless you plan on your 383 being over 600 hp. then maybe 3" The 3" pipe may give you a deeper sound but with super 44's it will sound nasty with either size pipe. Also the 2 1/2" pipe fits a lot better getting around the t-case.

As far as tri-y"s , they are a great header for mild engine's but they are not really made for high horsepower applications, say 450 hp. and up.

PatB

Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I myself have always ran 2 1/2" pipe on pretty much everything I have built, (no cats). As far as your 383 you can re-use everything unless you plan on your 383 being over 600 hp. then maybe 3" The 3" pipe may give you a deeper sound but with super 44's it will sound nasty with either size pipe. Also the 2 1/2" pipe fits a lot better getting around the t-case.

As far as tri-y"s , they are a great header for mild engine's but they are not really made for high horsepower applications, say 450 hp. and up.

Thanks for the response! I'll stick with the 2.5" for sure then. I may have to rethink the tri-y's but it will most likely be a while until I get above 450 lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising