Has anyone used Wintergreen oil to soften rubber seals?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I have a non-critical rubber seal the doesn't touch oil. On one side there is water, and the other is under a vacuum. This seal is 65 years old, but not cracked. Just somewhat hard, not like a rock. I read online that motorcycle dudes boil their hard rubber parts in 1 part Wintergreen oil, and 3 parts water, for 45 minutes or so.

Any of you do that in the past?
Any other ideas/chemicals?

Normally, I ALWAYS replace stuff like this. It isn't an option in this case.

Thanks much for looking!
What is the seal for?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Then it's definitely a gay joke. Maybe you should have used gerbil instead of guinea pig for your old-timey reference to experimentation?
LMMFAO

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Then it's definitely a gay joke. Maybe you should have used gerbil instead of guinea pig for your old-timey reference to experimentation?
I think he said air or vacuum on one side water on the other. :shrug:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Lol. You can't go the other way? I've got aspirin. Didn't want to go buy the oil if it was a waste of time. Guess I'll try it...
I’m sure it’s possible if you had the right equipment. It took two hours or so to make enough aspirin for a few days worth of headaches, though, and there’s a lot of equipment involved. If I knew where my manual was, I’d post pictures.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Comedians. Comedians everywhere.... Lol. Twinturbo was on the right track-I'm working on a 53 Olds with vacuum wipers, for a neighbor that's tight on cash. Its the same Trico system that started with the model T's. Got the wipers going, but the seal in the washer pump is borderline. Not a big deal if they don't work to my neighbor, but I'm here, so I'd like to get them going if possible. A company bought out all the Trico NOS parts. They won't sell you a seal, but will rebuild your pump (that takes 30 seconds to disassemble) with a new seal for 100 bucks plus s/h. Genius on their part, but sucks for the consumer. SO, that's where I'm at. Think I'll try the oil. Kinda curious about it now. Then some petroleum jelly.....

Proof I'm not gay- yeah, I got the guinea pigs and gerbils mixed up.... Lol

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Comedians. Comedians everywhere.... Lol. Twinturbo was on the right track-I'm working on a 53 Olds with vacuum wipers, for a neighbor that's tight on cash. Its the same Trico system that started with the model T's. Got the wipers going, but the seal in the washer pump is borderline. Not a big deal if they don't work to my neighbor, but I'm here, so I'd like to get them going if possible. A company bought out all the Trico NOS parts. They won't sell you a seal, but will rebuild your pump (that takes 30 seconds to disassemble) with a new seal for 100 bucks plus s/h. Genius on their part, but sucks for the consumer. SO, that's where I'm at. Think I'll try the oil. Kinda curious about it now. Then some petroleum jelly.....

Proof I'm not gay- yeah, I got the guinea pigs and gerbils mixed up.... Lol
So you’re into gerbiling with guinea pigs?!? Sounds like you’ve been at it a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
We use simple green to clean and soften rc rock crawler tires. It has wintergreen oil in it.

The theroy is sound. One RC company makes traction compound from the same oil. It softens up the tires and makes for more grip.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
"For a neighbor that's tight on cash"...what a guy!
He's hooked me up in the past. I needed a table saw, and he drug one outta the back of his shop. Sold me a really nice older Jet, for 25 bucks. I'm not paying to fix his crap though.... Lol

We use simple green to clean and soften rc rock crawler tires. It has wintergreen oil in it.

The theroy is sound. One RC company makes traction compound from the same oil. It softens up the tires and makes for more grip.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
This is cool info to know. I ordered some oil through Amazon since it was WAY cheaper. I'll let everyone know how it goes. With pics too!!!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
He's hooked me up in the past. I needed a table saw, and he drug one outta the back of his shop. Sold me a really nice older Jet, for 25 bucks. I'm not paying to fix his crap though.... Lol

This is cool info to know. I ordered some oil through Amazon since it was WAY cheaper. I'll let everyone know how it goes. With pics too!!!
If your feeling generous I need driveshafts and some C16

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If your feeling generous I need driveshafts and some C16
Well, I'd love to help you out, but I'm kinda using the only driveshaft I have for one of these things. Maybe next time though.... Are you running the blue? Sucks to be you if you are... Lol. The red won't work? You're just NA too, right?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've heard of baby oil... ?