Has anyone used Wintergreen oil to soften rubber seals?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a non-critical rubber seal the doesn't touch oil. On one side there is water, and the other is under a vacuum. This seal is 65 years old, but not cracked. Just somewhat hard, not like a rock. I read online that motorcycle dudes boil their hard rubber parts in 1 part Wintergreen oil, and 3 parts water, for 45 minutes or so.

Any of you do that in the past?
Any other ideas/chemicals?

Normally, I ALWAYS replace stuff like this. It isn't an option in this case.

Thanks much for looking!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have a non-critical rubber seal the doesn't touch oil. On one side there is water, and the other is under a vacuum. This seal is 65 years old, but not cracked. Just somewhat hard, not like a rock. I read online that motorcycle dudes boil their hard rubber parts in 1 part Wintergreen oil, and 3 parts water, for 45 minutes or so.

Any of you do that in the past?
Any other ideas/chemicals?

Normally, I ALWAYS replace stuff like this. It isn't an option in this case.

Thanks much for looking!
Guinea pig it on something non critical.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wait. It doesn't matter if you were being serious. I STILL don't understand. Lol. Was that a gay joke?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Wait. It doesn't matter if you were being serious. I STILL don't understand. Lol. Was that a gay joke?
Try the oil solution on some rubber thing that you don’t care if it gets ruined. I was serious.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh wow. Wow. I was really stupid on that one. Lol. Must be time for a beer.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Or 6 lol I get that a lot. I am serious sometimes lol
Oh, I understand.... I'm feeling a little more sophisicated today. Think I'll have some wine. Got me one them big ole ass bottles of Carlo Rossi....

And my woman's not getting any, unless she stops dinging up my mirrors....

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I synthesized aspirin out of wintergreen oil in Organic Chemistry once. That stuff smells strong when you’ve got about sixty or so college students fooling with it in a lab. I agree with the trial run on something you don’t care about, and I’d like to know what the results were.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I synthesized aspirin out of wintergreen oil in Organic Chemistry once. That stuff smells strong when you’ve got about sixty or so college students fooling with it in a lab. I agree with the trial run on something you don’t care about, and I’d like to know what the results were.
Lol. You can't go the other way? I've got aspirin. Didn't want to go buy the oil if it was a waste of time. Guess I'll try it...

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
My dad told me to use Castor Oil on my seals.

Not the ones you club over the head.

He said to use a good detergent to clean them with, then rub the CO into them and let it sit for about 30 minutes then wipe them down again with a clean rag.

He said if it works on an F-4 Phantom Canopy Seal at Mach 1.5, it'll work on your car or truck.

I didn't have the heart to tell him they went faster than that. So far I've had no issues.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
The real story:

That is some old Model T era stuff and the reason it worked was the natural rubber used in the seals reacted to the alcohol in the wintergreen oil.

EDIT: I was on the right track but wrong technically. Natural rubber is hardened with alcohol and softened with petroleum.

The old guy next door (20+ years USAF mechanic, but I still trust him) said to try petroleum jelly, sparingly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack541