Has Anyone Bought This A/C Compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Running the defogger should run the compressor too. So no worries about running it in the cold season.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Just bought this a little bit ago. I missed out on getting a cheap one last summer, but this one was new, price was good, and the coil clocking was right. I also had a $15 off coupon so it was definitely cheaper than I could have done on RockAuto. Does anyone know why they have these marked down compared to other new compressors and show available until stock depleted? I also don’t get why there’s a core charge on an advertised new product unless they want to take my old Harrison and turn into one of their remanned crap bags so I get a discount for turning it in. I assumed these were made at Compressor Works in TX so at least it was a domestic product. It’s says assembled in Mexico on the box so that’s a let down.

I’m also curious as to whether or not my other R4 is a real deal Harrison/Delphi unit or just a rebranded one. I don’t think it’s the original one, but I’d be happy if it was one of the factory ones. Whatever it is, it hasn’t let me down yet. I’m hoping for at least a few years of trouble free service from that one.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That happens from time to time with various parts. Imho, a core charge on a new part is quite literally "highway robbery".

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I’m also curious as to whether or not my other R4 is a real deal Harrison/Delphi unit or just a rebranded one. I don’t think it’s the original one, but I’d be happy if it was one of the factory ones. Whatever it is, it hasn’t let me down yet. I’m hoping for at least a few years of trouble free service from that one.

GM / Delphi sold off the rights many years ago (last model year of use is now 23 years ago), so they are 'aftermarket', no matter what label is on them. There have always been rumors about different grades of them afterwards, but it is hard to say. All I can think of (being the R4), is 'the noisy ones get the AC-Delco labels, the really noisy ones go the the chain stores, and the really noisy ones that leak get Acme labels!
They were all made by Compressor Works at one time (after Delphi stopped), but there is at least one other on the market now, that claims to be a scroll packaged as an R4. It looks noticeably different too, but appears to fit the same. The auto A/C guys debated whether it could really be a scroll and work properly with such a large diameter clutch as packaged, i.e. turn so relatively slowly.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just make sure that the wiring is at the correct position when you buy the compressor. There are two different locations/ configurations. There is a "9o'clock" and another one as well...maybe 12 o'clock? Idk. The first compressor I ordered whatever the case was the wrong position for the type of mounting brackets in my square. The p.o. butchered the original brackets and gave me a bracket that was off another square so it was a crapshoot when it came time for me to buy a compressor. Also be sure to pre load the compressor with pag oil most of the time the compressors don't come with any oil in them and if you start them up without adding pag, they can lock up prematurely. When I charged my ac, i had to run a jumper wire on the low pressure circuit in order for the system to draw in the refrigerant as well ( if you have charged ac before you probably know this trick).

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Just make sure that the wiring is at the correct position when you buy the compressor. There are two different locations/ configurations. There is a "9o'clock" and another one as well...maybe 12 o'clock? Idk. The first compressor I ordered whatever the case was the wrong position for the type of mounting brackets in my square. The p.o. butchered the original brackets and gave me a bracket that was off another square so it was a crapshoot when it came time for me to buy a compressor. Also be sure to pre load the compressor with pag oil most of the time the compressors don't come with any oil in them and if you start them up without adding pag, they can lock up prematurely. When I charged my ac, i had to run a jumper wire on the low pressure circuit in order for the system to draw in the refrigerant as well ( if you have charged ac before you probably know this trick).

I’ll doublecheck the new one, but my factory clocking is 9. Also, there’s a slip that it’s prelubed with 3 oz. PAG, I believe. I’ve not heard of the trick before, but jumping the circuit to get the ball rolling makes sense once the appropriate amount of Freon and oil’s in the system.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
GM / Delphi sold off the rights many years ago (last model year of use is now 23 years ago), so they are 'aftermarket', no matter what label is on them. There have always been rumors about different grades of them afterwards, but it is hard to say. All I can think of (being the R4), is 'the noisy ones get the AC-Delco labels, the really noisy ones go the the chain stores, and the really noisy ones that leak get Acme labels!
They were all made by Compressor Works at one time (after Delphi stopped), but there is at least one other on the market now, that claims to be a scroll packaged as an R4. It looks noticeably different too, but appears to fit the same. The auto A/C guys debated whether it could really be a scroll and work properly with such a large diameter clutch as packaged, i.e. turn so relatively slowly.

Yeah, that’s what I was wondering. I’m not sure if my Caprice’s compressor was replaced before GM quit making the compressors. I doubt that it was, but the ‘95 model year wasn’t that long ago.

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
Just curious if anyone out there has had better luck with a "Scroll Type" AC compressor over the conventional design??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K10_Travis