Harbor Freight Tool/Product Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Those Chineese are getting even more crafty, somewhere in a factory some guy was looking at bins of pneumatic tires and thought "Armericrans would buy the **** out of monster tricycles". I think it looks pretty cool.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've got that 65803 1.5 ton Aluminum Jack too. It does work good for light stuff. I did use it with my recent blow out on the side of I 40, BUT, DO NOT try to lift the front of your truck with it. It's not strong enough and it will piss jack oil all over the place. It worked great on the Yota Rolla too just about anywhere. Now I use for lifting rear ends, and small stuff, but yes, it's nice and light and I can carry this alot easier than the 10 ton bottle jack I carry in the box van. I think I got it on sale for $79.99 and used a 20% coupon on it too when I bought mine. I was afraid it was junk. But it does work well for small cars. It also lifts my trucks that don't have motors, trans and tcaes in them no problem.

facelessnumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I've got that 65803 1.5 ton Aluminum Jack too. It does work good for light stuff. I did use it with my recent blow out on the side of I 40, BUT, DO NOT try to lift the front of your truck with it. It's not strong enough and it will piss jack oil all over the place. It worked great on the Yota Rolla too just about anywhere. Now I use for lifting rear ends, and small stuff, but yes, it's nice and light and I can carry this alot easier than the 10 ton bottle jack I carry in the box van. I think I got it on sale for $79.99 and used a 20% coupon on it too when I bought mine. I was afraid it was junk. But it does work well for small cars. It also lifts my trucks that don't have motors, trans and tcaes in them no problem.

Maybe I got lucky or you got a dud, but during my engine swap I used that jack to raise the whole front of my Suburban by the crossmember several times with no trouble. 'Course it's not a 3/4 ton 4x4 or a big block, but it's still a bigassed 'Burb...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Maybe I got lucky or you got a dud, but during my engine swap I used that jack to raise the whole front of my Suburban by the crossmember several times with no trouble. 'Course it's not a 3/4 ton 4x4 or a big block, but it's still a bigassed 'Burb...

Could be, I tried it on my 2wd 3/4 ton with a 454, or was it the 4wd with a 350??? Can't remember now, but it damn sure didn't lift it, and it was pissing oil, so I quit. It's lifted everything else though.

facelessnumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Could be, I tried it on my 2wd 3/4 ton with a 454, or was it the 4wd with a 350??? Can't remember now, but it damn sure didn't lift it, and it was pissing oil, so I quit. It's lifted everything else though.

I'd say go swap that thing out, and if you don't have the receipt or you think they'll give you trouble about it then buy a new one, clean up the old one, put it in the box and return it. (It's not defrauding the company if you're just making them honor their warranty. I don't know how it is at your store but they do everything they can to avoid making good on their warranties here.)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say go swap that thing out, and if you don't have the receipt or you think they'll give you trouble about it then buy a new one, clean up the old one, put it in the box and return it. (It's not defrauding the company if you're just making them honor their warranty. I don't know how it is at your store but they do everything they can to avoid making good on their warranties here.)

They'll honor their warranty here. They'll just tell you it's NOT in warranty, so you have to go get a new one, open it up and show them on the instruction sheet on the back what the warranty is, then they'll cover it.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Floor hoist/crane made into a folder

Moderators : if this needs to be moved elsewhere,then,feel free todoso.:emotions33:

HRPC EDIT: We use off-topic guidelines before we start moving posts. This is actually on topic anyway. This modification can be done to a HF Hoist just as easy as it was done to this Napa Hoist. :waytogo:

Not sure of the COA where this was made,got it from NAPA.
After purchasing this floor hoist/crane I decided it would be nice to have a folder,makes storing a lot better.
A little measuring,cutting,drilling,welding and two bolts for hinges with self locking nuts,six bolts for leg rigidity,a couple pieces of light chain for safety,to hold the legs while folded up,a cross brace to hook the safetychains to and to rest the legs whilst folded,drilled three holes on each side of the cross brace to store the leg bolts and there You have it,a once rigid floor hoist/crane is now a folder.
I did save the templates for the hinges if anyone needs Me to I can copy um oft and sendum to You.:happy160:

You must be registered for see images attach

facelessnumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Moderators : if this needs to be moved elsewhere,then,feel free todoso.:emotions33:

Not sure of the COA where this was made,got it from NAPA.
After purchasing this floor hoist/crane I decided it would be nice to have a folder,makes storing a lot better.
A little measuring,cutting,drilling,welding and two bolts for hinges with self locking nuts,six bolts for leg rigidity,a couple pieces of light chain for safety,to hold the legs while folded up,a cross brace to hook the safetychains to and to rest the legs whilst folded,drilled three holes on each side of the cross brace to store the leg bolts and there You have it,a once rigid floor hoist/crane is now a folder.
I did save the templates for the hinges if anyone needs Me to I can copy um oft and sendum to You.:happy160:

Man that's cool. I've thought about trying to do something like that with mine, but it's just too big. Sucks 'cause I have to borrow a pickup or a trailer every time I want to move it. I could fit it in the Suburban if it could fold...

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Man that's cool. I've thought about trying to do something like that with mine, but it's just too big. Sucks 'cause I have to borrow a pickup or a trailer every time I want to move it. I could fit it in the Suburban if it could fold...
I measured where it would be best to have the legs to fold,then,using a square,marked across the top of the leg,completely disasembled the hoist,set the legs up in the chop saw,made sure legswas setting square in the bed and clampederdown,sawed that leg off,rolled it over{had to transfer marks around the square tube} and sawed the other lage off,then,using some shorte pieces of angle iron,clamped on the tops and bottoms,getting the legs squared up,then,clamped the hinges,forwards on the main frame and on top of the fold leg,tacked them down,removed the clamps and set to welding.
The tricky part is keeping the little short fold leg hinge points that are welded to the topside,from moving while welding them down.To accomplish this,I weld the "very end" just a real nice tack.then try to slide the bolt,usually takes a couple taps with a hamnmer to realing them,then,a nice spot weld on the other end,"NOT THE SIDES,JUST THE vERY ENDS" and You will see how easy it is to keep them hinges in almost perfect alignment,then a very short weld on each side of the top hinges,then weldumdown.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I forgot to add in the part about mounting on a nother set of casters to the main frame to support it whilst it is folded,I`m sure anyone wanting todo this`ll figure it out.
The casters to be added on should be,not bigger,and possibly just a bit smaller than the original casters.
The ones on mine is the same size and sometimes they will be taking the load,it really do`nt hurt anything,juist looks kind of funny.

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
them motorcycle lifts thing shown earlier is great for taking out a 203 transfer case,just use a hold-down strap to keep it in place.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
them motorcycle lifts thing shown earlier is great for taking out a 203 transfer case,just use a hold-down strap to keep it in place.
Thank You,that was going to be a very near in the future expirement too.:waytogo::Big Laugh:

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Bringing this back to life.

I am a shade tree mechanic to a tee, and other than at work(small engines) I use cheaper entry level tools.

Everything I have ever bought from HF has been great. I think you just have to know what and what not to buy.

Like toilet paper, you can only fudge on certain things.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bringing this back to life.

I am a shade tree mechanic to a tee, and other than at work(small engines) I use cheaper entry level tools.

Everything I have ever bought from HF has been great. I think you just have to know what and what not to buy.

Like toilet paper, you can only fudge on certain things.

That's a fact. I think we all agree.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Tell you what man, the earthquake impact gun is a bad mother ******. My dad was shopping for a good ingersol rand unit and I told him all about the harbor freight special and how good it is at snapping wheels studs. After a couple youtube videos he was convinced, I think im gonna leave it with him for a while and see if he likes it as much as I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello