guys im going to have to get a S10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, sorry for derailing the thread. It did have to do with mpg and my bro selling his Trooper that got me on the rant !!! Done now !!! :Rant:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I bet I could get this truck for $500 if he still has it. No pic, so that says, he may still have it. Been listed since 12/19/10. Needs a head gasket, but its a 6.2 4x4 truck ready to roll with another 6.2 in it. Already set up for 6.2.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/2120925155.html

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey Jake, I know it may seem off topic here since its about you wanting an S-10, but its fuel mileage related ehhh??? Talking about the 6.2 etc now that I moved on past the Trooper rant. Now for mpg, I gotta question for Retro to get better mpg from a square body. Also maybe you can do something to get better mpg out of a square rather than an S-10. C'mon bud, don't give in on sb and get a wuss truck.

So the 6.2 Diesel is one option to consider to improve mpg in a sb. Now my question for Retro since he may know off the top of his head and save me some research.
I have an Even Fire Non Computer Carbed Buick 231 V6 motor and T350 trans out of an 80 Monza originally. I know I can do the 9 in tailshaft Turbo 350, and that is good enough for one of these tall gear trucks I have, don't need OD of 700r4, but as far as mounts for the Buick 231??? Would these Olds mounts out of a 80 GMC that had the Olds Diesel for the Buick motor? I know they work for Olds 455 and all modern late 60's up Olds motors. Someone tried to tell me Olds, Buick, Pont, Cad used the same motor pads, just have to use their branded motor mounts. I am thinking the person maybe confused with the BPO trans bell housing pattern. What do you know about that possibility. I don't want to cut, weld and fab. I just want bolt in using factory OEM frame punched holes. Not cuz I can't do it, but cuz I like things to look OEM, not fabbed. Gimme the scoopage GMGoogle !!! I think that 231 would move a sb good for around town and get fair mpg.

Oh, and I am not concerned about fan shround BS. I won't use a conventional fan. I just want that light tiny package sitting in that biggo hole and I'll use a small radiator and electric cooling fans. haha, might be able to stand between the motor and radaitaor. How about that for tune up access to a dizzy that sits right up front?

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dude for 200 bucks I would be all over that ****! The damaged crate motor sounds like the best deal, while you got the timing gear cover off you can throw in the gear driven cam set that they make for them giving the 6.2 awesome durability.

I have been planning this swap since I was given my truck well over a year ago, I think I may finally go through with it. First step is wiring in a ford power stroke glow plug controller in place of the GM one, If the suburban starts on its own Its going in my GMC definitely.

Another neat thing I was reading about was waste vegetable oil. I was reading about one guy on that forum screening vegetable oil using a bunch of 50 gallon drums in his garage to make his own fuel. He simply filled one tank with diesel and the other with veggie oil, He would start and run on Diesel and drive around on the veggie oil. Tell me that ***** not cool.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Hey Jake, I know it may seem off topic here since its about you wanting an S-10, but its fuel mileage related ehhh??? Talking about the 6.2 etc now that I moved on past the Trooper rant. Now for mpg, I gotta question for Retro to get better mpg from a square body. Also maybe you can do something to get better mpg out of a square rather than an S-10. C'mon bud, don't give in on sb and get a wuss truck.

So the 6.2 Diesel is one option to consider to improve mpg in a sb. Now my question for Retro since he may know off the top of his head and save me some research.
I have an Even Fire Non Computer Carbed Buick 231 V6 motor and T350 trans out of an 80 Monza originally. I know I can do the 9 in tailshaft Turbo 350, and that is good enough for one of these tall gear trucks I have, don't need OD of 700r4, but as far as mounts for the Buick 231??? Would these Olds mounts out of a 80 GMC that had the Olds Diesel for the Buick motor? I know they work for Olds 455 and all modern late 60's up Olds motors. Someone tried to tell me Olds, Buick, Pont, Cad used the same motor pads, just have to use their branded motor mounts. I am thinking the person maybe confused with the BPO trans bell housing pattern. What do you know about that possibility. I don't want to cut, weld and fab. I just want bolt in using factory OEM frame punched holes. Not cuz I can't do it, but cuz I like things to look OEM, not fabbed. Gimme the scoopage GMGoogle !!! I think that 231 would move a sb good for around town and get fair mpg.

Oh, and I am not concerned about fan shround BS. I won't use a conventional fan. I just want that light tiny package sitting in that biggo hole and I'll use a small radiator and electric cooling fans. haha, might be able to stand between the motor and radaitaor. How about that for tune up access to a dizzy that sits right up front?

Yes i know of diesel and there fuel mileage but you spend 20-40 cents more just to gain 7-9 mpg. Really what is the savings in the long run?

i don't like the idea to spend more money to get better fuel economy for diesel...but don't get me wrong a diesel is better in some ways and some ways not.
1 there noisy
2 they smoke
3 fuel is higher in cost
4 parts are 3x higher in cost
5 the diesel jells here at 20 degrees

even if they last longer and pull a heavier loads a little easier i don't see the savings here. yes a guy how owns a farm or business would make there vehicle a diesel because they last longer pull greater loads and so forth.

but me a ordinary country boy from rural Kentucky doesn't need a large diesel truck because what i do with a truck is very little i haul a load of scrap iron every so often and fix lawnmowers in the summer so i don't need a very large truck for what im doing.

now a S10, ranger or any other small truck would do fine as i don't do nothing to amount to everything and if my bed is full i can just pull my trailer out if i have to.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size

Oh, and I am not concerned about fan shroud BS. I won't use a conventional fan. I just want that light tiny package sitting in that biggo hole and I'll use a small radiator and electric cooling fans. haha, might be able to stand between the motor and radiator. How about that for tune up access to a dizzy that sits right up front?

as far as i know it would work i have seen v6 engines in 87 chevy R10 truck but it is rare but it can be done but you have to work your gearing out so the 231 can pull a hill

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yea dude I hear that, but.... The 6.2 is not for pulling loads, it is completely different than a cummins duramax or power stroke. Its naturally aspirated and has about the same performance of a sb 305. The real beauty is really only the fuel mileage and adaptability. If you find a good one it drops in place of any small block gas motor.

Your raised a good point with the gas mileage problem, thats why I had to throw in my couple sense about the 6.2 as an option to driving the S-10.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Another neat thing I was reading about was waste vegetable oil. I was reading about one guy on that forum screening vegetable oil using a bunch of 50 gallon drums in his garage to make his own fuel. He simply filled one tank with diesel and the other with veggie oil, He would start and run on Diesel and drive around on the veggie oil. Tell me that ***** not cool.

I'm well aware of this. Its reffered to as Bio Diesel. You can actually buy it now in some stations.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
as far as i know it would work i have seen v6 engines in 87 chevy R10 truck but it is rare but it can be done but you have to work your gearing out so the 231 can pull a hill
A Buick v6? This will be differant than the 4.3 V6. That 231 has a bit more power than people think. But you still could be right. You know the 230 Inline 6 had plenty of power to pull a full size truck back in the 60's. But of course that's got some torque with the longer stroke.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yep, there's a guy around here with a 2wd SWB with a 6.2...

hrpc - i will do a little research, i am not entirely sure what would be involved there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72