Guess The Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Well damn. All this time I thought it was some kind of fancy tool, lol. Now the sping-loaded pivot makes sense.

It's missing the clamp bolt under the big hole, but other than that it looks like it's in excellent shape.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Okay I got one. I don't know what it's called besides wrench/knife or knife/wrench. Have any of you seen one of these? If so, what is it used for? One end measures 5/16 or 8mm, and the other is a shade over 3/8 and measures an even 10mm. I asked grandma if it was something she used when she worked at Mars Candy Company in Chicago during WWII and she didn't recognize it as something she used there. Grandpa passed away '87 so there is no asking him, but I've had it since the 80's so it has to be something he had used at some point. Maybe he acquired it during WWII, but I doubt it because he was captured right at the beginning of the Battle of the Bulge on the Schnee Eiffel and spent the rest of his time marching as a POW and in a Stalag. Somewhere between the time they were born and the 1980's it was acquired by him or her. It was made by the Miehle Printing Press and Manufacturing Company, but that's all I can find on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
That's pretty slick. My uncle and father-in-law were both printers, and there's a good chance one of them would have been familiar. Unfortunately neither of them are around anymore to ask.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
That's pretty slick. My uncle and father-in-law were both printers, and there's a good chance one of them would have been familiar. Unfortunately neither of them are around anymore to ask.
If it was forged by a printing company i would think its purpose built for a press somehow...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size

It is neat. I've never used it for anything, it just sits in a drawer so it doesn't get damaged or anything.

If it was forged by a printing company i would think its purpose built for a press somehow...

Could be. But companies during WWII sometimes would stop making what they were, retool, and then start making war related items.

Been doing more research on my grandpa recently, and in doing so discovered some stories written by soldiers that fought next to or within close proximity of him.

In one guys story he talked about being an apprentice as a tool and die maker for Union Hardware Company. That company made roller and ice skates, sporting goods and hardware tools. He said when war was declared the company stopped all production, retooled and began production of 30 Cal Carbine Magazines, Machine Gun Clips and other equipment for the Armed Forces. Then he got drafted.

Grandpas story is much different than that guy's story, but they ended up in the same place.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
It is neat. I've never used it for anything, it just sits in a drawer so it doesn't get damaged or anything.

Could be. But companies during WWII sometimes would stop making what they were, retool, and then start making war related items.

Been doing more research on my grandpa recently, and in doing so discovered some stories written by soldiers that fought next to or within close proximity of him.

In one guys story he talked about being an apprentice as a tool and die maker for Union Hardware Company. That company made roller and ice skates, sporting goods and hardware tools. He said when war was declared the company stopped all production, retooled and began production of 30 Cal Carbine Magazines, Machine Gun Clips and other equipment for the Armed Forces. Then he got drafted.

Grandpas story is much different than that guy's story, but they ended up in the same place.
I honestly didnt even think of a war effort tool.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I suspect it is for printing or the like since it is such a small wrench and the knife could have been for cutting paper, but you never know. Maybe it was for locking down nuts or bolts after making adjustments for firing mortars or something and the knife was used for whatever it needed to be used for. Since I have never fired a mortar I have no idea what is involved. I tried looking up information on this thing years ago, and over the weekend I remembered this thread and figured there might be someone from somewhere in the country that has possibly seen one or had heard about them.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
ICould be. But companies during WWII sometimes would stop making what they were, retool, and then start making war related items.

Most companies did. GM was building everything from TBM Avengers to M1 Carbines. Chrysler made tanks and Ford Build more B-24 Liberators at the Willow Run plant than any other bomber in our fleet. You want to see something really interesting look up Chrysler tank engines. Five inline six-cylinders ganged together. Crazy stuff.

One of the ones that struck me the most was lipstick manufacturers making ammunition. When you think about it, there's very little difference between a lipstick case and a rifle cartridge. Picture that the next time you see some hottie freshening up her lip gloss.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I was using this one today and thought it might be a little bit of a challenge:

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Looks like some type of adjustable spanner wrench.

It is. But the question is for what purpose?

I'll give you a hint. It's not an automotive tool.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks like it's used to install the hardware for the privacy panels in public restrooms.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Looks like it's used to install the hardware for the privacy panels in public restrooms.

Interesting guess, but that's not it.

It's about 2-3/4" wide if that helps.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've seen one before.

But I didn't know what it was then either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120