Guage cluster acting up in 1985 Chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dyl0116

Reaction score
First Name
Dyllenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok so, this cluster f*** of a truck is driving me insane. First had no tail lights. So i wired them direct to switch to come on when switch is pulled. Then headlights/ running lights burnt out. I then changed the headlight switch and was back to normal. Now the truck has no dash lights, the oil and temp light on left side will not turn off (red) lights) and rest of lights don't work. When left signal is engaged, the signals outside the truck work, but inside they both flash as if hazards were engaged. When right signal light is triggered, again outside the truck it works, inside the truck it causes the fuel gauge to fluctuate. When turn of the key, the gas gauge drops an inch below E. What is going on, anyone else have issues similar. 1985 k10. I did change guage cluster as previous one the electrical circuit was a disaster.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I did change guage cluster as previous one the electrical circuit was a disaster.

Is the replacement cluster an exact replacement from the same year and optioned truck? IE did your old cluster have warning lights and you replaced it with a cluster with gauges. Did you get the cluster connector when you got the other gauge cluster? Different year clusters have different wiring pin outs. It could be that the wiring on the cluster connector is not correct for the cluster you put in. Could also be a cluster grounding issue.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
When I disconnected my ground on my tail-light harness my blinkers and fuel gauge did the same thing. Sorry thats all I got.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Don't disconnect any grounds. Check to make sure the cluster is grounded.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Don't disconnect any grounds. Check to make sure the cluster is grounded.

That was the outcome of removing my bed and not reconnecting grounds afterward. Should have explained that better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005