Getting Rear Window Working Properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The only time I’ve been able to make my window work on the inside going both ways is when I got the switch and pushed the connector in really hard. It worked for a few days and went downhill from there. I couldn’t replicate that again. Last it worked properly, I was able to finagle the switch to make it roll down, and I rolled it up using the cylinder at the window. That one’s always worked just going up regardless of what the switch was doing. The switch also won’t return to center; but I only have one so I don’t know what’s normal for them.

I see two routes. I can get a new rocker switch that supposedly fits perfectly in the bezel, or I can attempt to repair the current switch. For some reason, I’m hesitant to hack off the stock connector, but I’m apprehensive to disassemble the switch because I don’t want to break something that was repairable. Small things and I have a history of not working out. Here are my sources. Thoughts?

http://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums...-to-rebuild-or-clean-rear-power-window-switch

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The switch is supposed to self-center. I'd be amazed if you can fix your current switch, they get very very brittle with age.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That's what I thought, and I was concerned about that, too. It looks like it's in the typical condition for the few others I've seen in passing which isn't good. I'll go ahead and order that rocker switch just to be safe. Here's a picture of that Philmore switch in the factory bezel.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Iirc, that picture above looks like the same terminal orientation as original.

So I take it these switches are no longer available from the dealer network?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I suppose it's worth looking into. I just checked the factory part number (GM 14040844), and it was discontinued in January 2009. I'll call a GM parts counter tomorrow. I did find a place called New GM Parts in Rhode Island that supposedly has them so I'll call about that, too.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Place in RI didn't have it, and the dealer network didn't come up with any. Worth a try, but this thing will have been discontinued for ten years come this January.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Place in RI didn't have it, and the dealer network didn't come up with any. Worth a try, but this thing will have been discontinued for ten years come this January.

Time flies by. Last time I bought a tailgate motor and switch from the dealer, they were not yet discontinued. Didn't realize it's been a decade already.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10