Getting close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Almost got the 3.5/5 inch drop done.

I had every part for a completely new drop/steering/suspension/brake replacement in the 79 and I mean every part, this front end is all new. All I was lacking was a left lower complete control arm, its shipping today, man these are hard to find!

One side is completely done and as soon as the control arm comes in the front will be finished. Wheels and tires came today, man these are some bad ass wheels we picked out.

We are going to flip the back this weekend, should I do anything to the rear leafs now like remove the overload or just wait till its all done and see how it sits?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I'd wait it would stink to see your rear sitting to low

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
You can remove the overload springs if you want, they are not even effective until the leaf springs are layed flat against them anyway. You can also leave them on if you want as they dont stiffen or soften the ride. I left them on both my trucks.

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Gotcha, Ill get it all done and go from there.

Thanks everyone.

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Finally got it lowered.

Very happy with the look of the 3.5/5.

Western chassis makes good parts but damn, some things could be better. Shock extender holes were not big enough to fit the almost impossible to tighten bolts. Not that big of deal, but having to run to town and get a 9/16" bit is just a PITA

And WHY is there 2 holes in the leaf spring plate???
Kind of threw us wondering which hole to use, we used the center hole and turned the offset hole forward, I HOPE thats right.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Pics?

rangerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It was dark when we finished, I will definitely post pics tomorrow. I went old school on the wheels.

I think I'm going to have to move the lower spring plate to the offset hole also.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
gotta post pics!!!:popcorn:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Finally got it lowered.

Very happy with the look of the 3.5/5.

Western chassis makes good parts but damn, some things could be better. Shock extender holes were not big enough to fit the almost impossible to tighten bolts. Not that big of deal, but having to run to town and get a 9/16" bit is just a PITA

And WHY is there 2 holes in the leaf spring plate???
Kind of threw us wondering which hole to use, we used the center hole and turned the offset hole forward, I HOPE thats right.
I drilled out the WC shock extenders so I could use the stock lower shock bolt also, really not a big deal.
You should use the offset hole in the u-bolt plate to better line up the u-bolts decause of the offset hole in the flip bracket moving your rear axle back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes