Getrag G360 LEAKING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Hey my get rag G360 is leaking front seal really bad ! I found the part but just wondering if any one has changed one before . Is it a inside seal or outside ? An what would cause it just to go bad ? I prolly got maby a 100 miles on my swap . Would the tranny alliment make this seal break ? I got it separated but I haven't dropped yet trucks a little to high ! So I'm using a engine lift though the can to drop it cuz I got a good size hole I covered cuz of the swap thanks

Alaskaskiff

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chassis
Engine Size
Not to be a wise acre, but any chance it is the rear main on the 5.9 instead? New oil might be hard to discern from tranny oil. A more likely leak in my mind.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's normal for those to leak like that. That's how they got their model name, GetRag. What else would you wipe it up with??? :laughing1: OK, not funny !!! :Sumo:

If it's like MOST manual transmissions, the seal should be directly behind the nose cone in front of the input shaft bearing. I'd think it should not be hard at all to swap out. The bad part is, having to pull the trans to get to it.

When you say 100 miles since the swap, was this a used powertrain you swapped to? Is it possible it had the problem BEFORE you did the swap? How long did this unit sit without being used? Sometimes seals will hardened from the previous of heat and cool and heat and cool, they sit for a year or two and seals get hard. Then when you go to start using the unit again, the brittle seals gives up fairly quick. Not near as common in manual transmissions as it is auto transmissions since the front seal is usually enclosed or covered by the front nose cone or whatever the technical term it's called that slides over the input shaft and bolts to the front of the case.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Yea thanks guys yea it's not oil from the cummins you can't mistake that !! It's black as **** ! An not 30w ! But I got it swapped out today and back in ! Ill post some pics ! Just sucked I had to drop the tranny for a 6 dollar part ! Kinda ****** !

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
It might have . But I had a buddie go though that tranny for me and replace the forks but 4th still grinds . So I don't know . Maby but I hope it doesn't leak !

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Replacing the forks is as easy as taking the top cover off and there they are. Sounds like it could use a snychro kit and if you're doing that, may as well do a complete bearing kit too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64