Gas tank cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taylorb27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What we did with an old Studebaker pickup tank was jack up the back of an old tractor, strap the tank filled with nuts, bolts and what I think was acetone to one of the wheels and put the tractor in gear. Spun the tank at a slow speed and it did an awesome job of cleaning that tank out!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Is that your only truck? Get a hitch carrier and strap it to that behind the S10 blazer?

No sir. I have several squares and other vehicles

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No sir. I have several squares and other vehicles
We'll put the tank in your daily and ride it around a few days. Think about canned drinks in just a cooler of water after a week. There all silver and the label is about worn off

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've heard vinegar works good.I"'ve never tried it.Last time I cleaned 1 I filled it with dish washer detergent,water and stuck an air hose in it and let it bubble slowly.It worked good I'm sure any water based detergent would work good.I sure wouldn't want to be blowing air bubbles in gas in a room with a running air compressor.I know that's like saying it's not safe to stack three chairs instead of getting a stepladder.

Last edited:

militaryjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
Rock Auto (guessing on your exact model) Spectra Premium GM14C - $79.79 plus $10.99 ground shipping to west coast.
What is your time worth?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rock Auto (guessing on your exact model) Spectra Premium GM14C - $79.79 plus $10.99 ground shipping to west coast.
What is your time worth?
It all depends on his situation. Years ago. I would of thrown a chain in it with 5 gallons of gas or whatever I had around and shook that thing up or rode around with it. Today, maybe either or. But may like you said buy one. But in the truck he is building, I know the parts are adding up so saving $70 would be worth it.

Some have more money than time other have little time or money and some are everywhere in between.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm going to preface this by saying I didn't read the entire thread, but at work I've had to clean up some pretty nasty tanks. First off if at any point either now or after cleaning if you see rust replace the tank. I like to pour in enough carb dip to cover the nastiness if the nastiness is up the side of the tank then slosh it around occasionally. By the next day the nastiness is dissolved, dump it out, rinse with water, then with brake clean or carb clean or even the $.99 fuel drier. Reinstall and drive. Has worked great for me and requires little effort. although in a case where I new tank is $70 I'd advise my customer to replace the tank because even a small labor charge for clean up and the supplies would exceed that. Even though the OP is not paying labor to himself, his time is still valuable.

MMostowyk

Reaction score
First Name
Morris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 L
I just finished this job on my 40 Ford. Old stuff. I used a kit from Eastwood.
You supplement with acetone and muriatic acid.

It takes all day as you have to do each step in succession, but at the end, it’s cleaned of varnish, de rusted and sealed. Nice and clean.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I just finished this job on my 40 Ford. Old stuff. I used a kit from Eastwood.
You supplement with acetone and muriatic acid.

It takes all day as you have to do each step in succession, but at the end, it’s cleaned of varnish, de rusted and sealed. Nice and clean.
Have you ever done a tank seal before? I ask because I've seen the tank sealants come apart down the road, now I've never personally done one as the labor cost at the shop would be to expensive in most cases, I've just seen problems later so I'm genuinely curious. It's not like someone would have us drop a tank later if it worked out just fine.

MMostowyk

Reaction score
First Name
Morris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 L
Since the build is ongoing I haven’t put fuel in the tank yet. Fingers crossed about the sealant. It looks good, but who knows long term.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising