Garage And Shop Safety

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't jack up a truck on an incline with a farm jack and forget to put anything down to block the wheels...

:roflbow: A farm jack??? Is that maybe same as a bumper jack? Them bitches is dangerous.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Tools are only as safe as the person using them, like the farm jack aka Hi-Lift. Here's a couple tips:

1. When winching or pulling someone from being stuck always throw a blanket or old coat or coveralls over the winch cable, strap, chain, whatever, about midway of the span. If it breaks the weight of the blanket or whatever causes it to drop, instead of fly though your windshield or back glass.

2. Always carry a sharp pocket knife where you can easily reach it with either hand. It is easy to get your shirt, hair or even hand stuck somewhere like an alternator, drill press or other spinning assembly (IRISH! LOL), and being able to cut yourself free may mean the difference between life and death, or being stuck somewhere by yourself for a long time till someone finds you.

3. Never refill a battery with a lit cigarette/cigar/doobie in your mouth, I've seen batteries explode spewing acid everywhere. Also always wear safety glasses, a respirator, and long sleeves/pants. A friend of mine I've known since 1st grade just had a lung biopsy because of lung damage from refilling batteries at a heavy machinery shop.

As a matter of fact when I am going to be working on my truck I grab at least a pair of safety glasses and put them on my hat in case I need them I wont be running around trying to find some. I also like to keep a pair of leather gloves handy too.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Avoid sticking your fingers in the moving cooling fan blades or belts.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I got a five gallon bucket of "Purple power" parts washer solvent, I deluded the concentrated mix with water.

The container said bio degradable......... it seemed like some foo foo solvent but wholly ****, look at this.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is after about 30 seconds of direct exposure to the fluid without rubber gloves and it ate the skin off my fingers.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What is the name of that stuff? You said it comes in a 5 gall bucket at Auto Zone??? I am about ready to buy new solvent for building transmissions. So do I understand, you buy 5 gallons, can add 5 gallons of water so you net 10 gallons and it still eats the skin off your hands?? So its eats skin.. Does it remove varnish too???
You might want to consider goggles while using that thing too. I have dropped a bolt or somethign out of a valve body that I didn't realize was still in there, and it splashed solvent high enough to get me in the face. All it takes is a drop in the eyeball and you're hurtin for certain.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
What is the name of that stuff? You said it comes in a 5 gall bucket at Auto Zone??? I am about ready to buy new solvent for building transmissions. So do I understand, you buy 5 gallons, can add 5 gallons of water so you net 10 gallons and it still eats the skin off your hands?? So its eats skin.. Does it remove varnish too???
You might want to consider goggles while using that thing too. I have dropped a bolt or somethign out of a valve body that I didn't realize was still in there, and it splashed solvent high enough to get me in the face. All it takes is a drop in the eyeball and you're hurtin for certain.

Dude... my hand is missing skin and it hurts like crazy but at the same time I am really happy that it works. It cuts grease really well as well as anything else you want off of your auto parts. I did like a 1 to 3 mix of water and chemical. For 25 bucks its an awesome deal and the **** works great.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dude... my hand is missing skin and it hurts like crazy but at the same time I am really happy that it works. It cuts grease really well as well as anything else you want off of your auto parts. I did like a 1 to 3 mix of water and chemical. For 25 bucks its an awesome deal and the **** works great.

I want to make sure I get the right stuff. So its 5 gallons for $25? At Auto Zone? Purple cleaner? You mixed it 3 parts water to 1 part cleaner? So 5 gallons would net 15 gallons? Sounds like it'll work good for trans parts and alot cheaper than mineral spirits is now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/1/3/purple-power-cleaner

This must be it. Seems to be a cleaner and degreaser. It'll probably work for trans cleaner too, but its likely not going to revomve varnish. Of course varnish doesn't hurt that bad and will clean off with the new trans fluid. I just prefer parts to be shiney. But for the price, I thnk I'll try it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think HRPC should write Irish an infraction for not wearing gloves!! :Moon: Also the wife looked over and saw the pic of your hand and said "Is that a woman's hand?" I LOLed. :lol:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
If there were a contest for ugliest hands I would win *hands down*.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If there were a contest for ugliest hands I would win *hands down*.

My lady hands are not getting any better, I might win the contest if it gets much worse.

They are discovering at work that leather work gloves really **** up your hands. All the mill operators have these weird yellowish calices all over their fingers. So now my left hand is completely dried out, cracking and bleeding all over while my entire palm is peeling skin from the leather gloves and grabbing hot rubber.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Try deerskin gloves, you'll never go back to cowhide.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/1/3/purple-power-cleaner

This must be it. Seems to be a cleaner and degreaser. It'll probably work for trans cleaner too, but its likely not going to revomve varnish. Of course varnish doesn't hurt that bad and will clean off with the new trans fluid. I just prefer parts to be shiney. But for the price, I thnk I'll try it.

That is the stuff, well worth the 25 bucks. I set the lid off one of my sm465 in the tank to test the chemical, with a little wire brush action it was cleaning to bare metal. I am very happy with the product so far.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You need to get you some of these. These work well. I have to use them in Carb cleaner dip solvent and mineral spirits or my hands break out and start getting cuts in the cuticles and bleed if I don't. I bet they work for that solvent too. I woudln't use latex. I bet that stuff would melt latex to your hands. Use the Nitrile gloves they are made for chemicals use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-100-x-large-nitrile-gloves-97583.html

I have actually bought them on sale in 10 pair packs for $1. Maybe it was 10 gloves, can't remember now, but worth .20 cents a pair all day long if you just want to try them first before buying the big 100 box for $9. Watch sales too, they go on sale all the time for almost half of that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pugs Speed Shop