Garage And Shop Safety

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is a thread to share stories of accidents that have happened in the shop. Not only what happened, but what would have a prevented the accident. So everyone can voice their opinions and suggestions too. Never know, the life or injury that might be saved, might be your own. I have a few stories myself. As dumb as they are, I'll share in hopes someone else never does it. So post up ******. Lets hear what you did wrong !!! Also, doesn't have to be an accident to share a safety tip !!!

STAY SAFE !!! WORK WITH CAUTION !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Respirator doing Body Work !!!

I've lost an Uncle who owned his own body shop. He never wore a respirator while sanding and painting in a booth. Over the years it took its toll on his lungs then eventually his heart. He had a heart attack at 53yo while driving on the interstate. The vehicle he was in, ended up, upside down in a creek, where as if the heart attack didn't kill hm, being unconcious he would have drownwed. We later found out, he was dead before he hit the water, so he didn't drowned. Wear respirators when doing body work guys. Pretty much common sense I think, but back when my uncle started doing this body work, the risks weren't talked about like they are today.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I passed out from exhaust fumes in the garage when I was a teenager working on a truck in the winter time. I had the garage door open about a foot or 2, but it wasn't enough. It hit me so fast and without warning, dizziness for a few seconds and out like a light. Woke up on the floor with a headache and a sick stomach. I think the only thing saved my ass was the cold fresh air laying on the floor. Never did that again.

But I have to say, if ya want to off yourself, that is a great way to do it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dont use torch near a gas tank either.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Dont use torch near a gas tank either.
Damn, another bad memory I forgot all about. Another dumb ass 89S moment.

I was welding a repair panel under the tailgate of my old 77 ramcharger where it meets the bedside, it was rusted out. I noticed some kind of stinky plastic smell, and took off my welding helmet and saw smoke puring out from under the back of the truck. I looked under the truck and the top of the plastic fuel tank was on fire and melting. My eyeballs jumped out of my skull and I ran for dear life to find a fire extinguisher(FE).

I can't even describe what was going through my mind, and I was scared shitless I was going to die or blow up the warehouse at my work. And I sat on this see-saw in my head to go back to the truck and hit it with the FE or just walk out of the building and fuggit. Well, I decided to get back to the truck and take a chance, and hit it with the FE.

After the smoke cleared and the adrenaline died down, I looked at the damage and there was a 8" hole burned right through the top of the tank where it meets the side. You could reach right into the tank and touch the gas in it. To this day I don't know how in the hell that **** didn't explode. I have an angel on my shoulder I swear....

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Damn, another bad memory I forgot all about. Another dumb ass 89S moment.

I was welding a repair panel under the tailgate of my old 77 ramcharger where it meets the bedside, it was rusted out. I noticed some kind of stinky plastic smell, and took off my welding helmet and saw smoke puring out from under the back of the truck. I looked under the truck and the top of the plastic fuel tank was on fire and melting. My eyeballs jumped out of my skull and I ran for dear life to find a fire extinguisher(FE).

I can't even describe what was going through my mind, and I was scared shitless I was going to die or blow up the warehouse at my work. And I sat on this see-saw in my head to go back to the truck and hit it with the FE or just walk out of the building and fuggit. Well, I decided to get back to the truck and take a chance, and hit it with the FE.

After the smoke cleared and the adrenaline died down, I looked at the damage and there was a 8" hole burned right through the top of the tank where it meets the side. You could reach right into the tank and touch the gas in it. To this day I don't know how in the hell that **** didn't explode. I have an angel on my shoulder I swear....

:Whoa:.........u were very lucky!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:Whoa:.........u were very lucky!
I just don't get it, but I aint complaining. And I haven't tried that stuff again since. Damn it, I had that all packed away and locked up way deep in my brain and forgot all about it and then that stinkin HRPC had to start this thread. :flipthebird:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You can only get the clap so many times before it turns into applause...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When welding or torching, ALWAYS have a spray bottle full of water sitting right next to you.

Oh yeah, and if torching on a junk car, always make sure the doors are unlocked. A small fire can creep into the passenger compartment and you won't know it until it's too late.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
When welding or torching, ALWAYS have a spray bottle full of water sitting right next to you.

Oh yeah, and if torching on a junk car, always make sure the doors are unlocked. A small fire can creep into the passenger compartment and you won't know it until it's too late.

Thats why most junkyards dont allow torches.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
My dad was using his bench grinder with a wire wheel when he heard something hit his safety glasses. He found one of the wires deeply imbedded in the lens dead center over his eye. It would have caused some serious damage to say the least. He glued the glasses to the grinder as a reminder to always wear eye protection.

Thirty years later I still think about those glasses every time I use my grinder.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thats why most junkyards dont allow torches.

I worked there. I thought my boss was going to be really mad, but he just shrugged it off. Luckily he didn't care much for Chryslers (he is a square body kind of guy and LOVES Suburbans).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I passed out from exhaust fumes in the garage when I was a teenager working on a truck in the winter time. I had the garage door open about a foot or 2, but it wasn't enough. It hit me so fast and without warning, dizziness for a few seconds and out like a light. Woke up on the floor with a headache and a sick stomach. I think the only thing saved my ass was the cold fresh air laying on the floor. Never did that again.

But I have to say, if ya want to off yourself, that is a great way to do it.

Yup, usually a good idea to put some form of metal vent hose over your tailpipes, clamp them on and route them outside the door. I've seen it done before and it works good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26