Zinc, Engine oil and flat cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
IDK if this is mentioned in this thread already... Probably. But there is such a thing as to much zinc, to much zinc can shorten the life of an engine. I've said my opinion zinc that I remember. I'm on the diesel oil program these days, my main reason isn't the zinc levels, it's because my diesel equipment on the farm needs it, and it's approved for use in gas engines.
I've done the same after my diesel launched rods thru the block and I was left with a cpl cases of gallons of 1300 Delvac, but it's great for keeping it clean !
The Hyper Lube will actually allow a lower grade of weight to be used and still maintain all protection of the heavier grade oil.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
YES, the Zinc replacement. It helps a little with the cold piston slap of my high mileage 4.8 in my Express van too. The Tribologist that posted his testing on BITOG, (Molakule) added a touch of moly with it too when he dropped a weight grade. Still less friction in his tests

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
YES, the Zinc replacement. It helps a little with the cold piston slap of my high mileage 4.8 in my Express van too. The Tribologist that posted his testing on BITOG, (Molakule) added a touch of moly with it too when he dropped a weight grade. Still less friction in his tests
Sorry when you said "hyperlube" generically I assumed Hyperlube stabilizer so my comment about diluting additives applies to that not the zinc additive which I'm sure thins the detergents a little, but obviously does have additives.....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are lots of guys that having been using an oil either weight brand or type for along time with great results.

One of the conclusions I came to back when I was doing a bunch of research is that engine oil is not a one size fits all thing. Depending on where you live and how the truck is used different oil or additives maybe best. And sometimes it's had to tell what's best, in the end it comes down to making a judgement call based on knowledge and running with that.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are lots of guys that having been using an oil either weight brand or type for along time with great results.

One of the conclusions I came to back when I was doing a bunch of research is that engine oil is not a one size fits all thing. Depending on where you live and how the truck is used different oil or additives maybe best. And sometimes it's had to tell what's best, in the end it comes down to making a judgement call based on knowledge and running with that.
You're exactly correct. I owned a business where the trucks ran all day, 14 of them. We used NAPA 15-40 exclusively. Diesel, gas, new, old, summer, winter, flat or roller tappet, everything got that oil. Never lost a bottom end from an oil issue. Gas engines lasted at least 150k, diesel over 400k with several hours each day of idle time. Reason the engines were replaced was oil consumption, usually ring wear or leaks.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You're exactly correct. I owned a business where the trucks ran all day, 14 of them. We used NAPA 15-40 exclusively. Diesel, gas, new, old, summer, winter, flat or roller tappet, everything got that oil. Never lost a bottom end from an oil issue. Gas engines lasted at least 150k, diesel over 400k with several hours each day of idle time. Reason the engines were replaced was oil consumption, usually ring wear or leaks.
What decade was this:oops::33:, 150k is not that many miles ??

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Most of them were square bodies a few were 7.3 IHC. Remember the idle time in there. These were tow trucks, not exactly light duty use. When these trucks were empty [not towing a vehicle] they were close to max GVW. With a vehicle on back way over. I know [if taken care of] newer vehicles today will get way over that millage. Heck I had an 89 Maxima with over 300k miles on the original motor. Gave it to a family member a couple years ago. They are still driving it.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Most of them were square bodies a few were 7.3 IHC. Remember the idle time in there. These were tow trucks, not exactly light duty use. When these trucks were empty [not towing a vehicle] they were close to max GVW. With a vehicle on back way over. I know [if taken care of] newer vehicles today will get way over that millage. Heck I had an 89 Maxima with over 300k miles on the original motor. Gave it to a family member a couple years ago. They are still driving it.
Yes I saw the idle hours you talked about. I guess I was thinking about trucks I see and know about. I'm a Forester, so I deal with other foresters , we all drive huge miles between tracts and checking loggers etc. Also deal with loggers who drive good distances to job sites. Not uncommon to see 50k miles a year on a truck. I don't drive as much as others but still put about 25k on my work truck. Many of these trucks idle several hours a day as well. Keeping the cab cool while talking so that once they step out of the 95f heat the cab is cool or keeping the heat on in summer. Or just to just work, make calls do computer stuff etc. The truck is their office. I have know many trucks back into the 90s that easily go 200-400k on gassers. Loggers will get high mileage as well. Those usually idle more on the job site, see rough off road and dusty conditions and get abused pretty good.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes I saw the idle hours you talked about. I guess I was thinking about trucks I see and know about. I'm a Forester, so I deal with other foresters , we all drive huge miles between tracts and checking loggers etc. Also deal with loggers who drive good distances to job sites. Not uncommon to see 50k miles a year on a truck. I don't drive as much as others but still put about 25k on my work truck. Many of these trucks idle several hours a day as well. Keeping the cab cool while talking so that once they step out of the 95f heat the cab is cool or keeping the heat on in summer. Or just to just work, make calls do computer stuff etc. The truck is their office. I have know many trucks back into the 90s that easily go 200-400k on gassers. Loggers will get high mileage as well. Those usually idle more on the job site, see rough off road and dusty conditions and get abused pretty good.
Yes, that makes a huge difference. AS you know even stop and go vs open freeway driving can make a difference in engine and transmission life. And I have to admit I'm guilty of idling. The shop I manage. Lunch is from 12 -1pm we shut the shop down for it. I leave every day. Why because if I stay something always prevents me from taking a proper break. So I hop in the truck and drive down this quiet dead end road just to decompress and relax. In the winter I'll idle for heat in the summer for A/C so lets see that's about 1 hours each day, so that would be 208 hours a year of idling yikes.... I wonder how much that's costing me in gas?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Can't remember any of our gas trucks getting over 200k. Diesels [mostly IHC] were running great at 400+. We just sold them at that point. Our trucks ran around town most of the time. It was common to travel 100 miles and not see 40 mph. The newer trucks got about 40k miles per year. As they aged, we used them as secondary units, the yearly miles were reduced. They were usually retired when the frames started to crack.

But back to my point. Heavier than recommended oils worked fine for us. The trucks were started in the morning and never cooled down all day.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well IDK, I feel the need to say this somewhere but it's not exactly zinc related, and it's not on my square, but it is oil related and perhaps someone will find it useful or interesting. So back when I started running the diesel oil in the square I switched all my high mile gassers to it as well. The only thing I didn't switch was my wifes car which has synthetic in it. Any how what I want to talk about is my 1996 Grand Cherokee. It's got 275K on it, and the engine has never been rebuilt. I use to run a 1/2 quart of hyperlube in it to quiet noisy lifters at start up, now I'm running the diesel oil with no extra additives. The Jeep has had a long standing issue of pinging on long trips. It won't do it locally, but hit the highway and go over the pass and it's terrible. So I'd typically fill it with premium, which didn't eliminate the ping completely but nearly so. It's also had a long standing issue with oil pressure dropping when accelerating hard. So a week ago I did a quick run over the pass to Ellensburg, I forgot and pumped it full of regular. No pinging, none, none what so ever. Never had the oil pressure drop off either. The only thing I can thing is it was the change in oil. Anyhow hope ya'll found that intereting!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike