fuel injection or carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
im just starting to work on square bodys and my dad tells me fuel injection runs better but i dont have the money for it. should i save up or forget about it?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It depends on what type of a motor and how comfortable you are with either. If all stock, TBI is a good reliable system.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i will have to drive it everyday, so would a engine with a carb run worse?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You will get slightly better fuel economy from injection but sometimes a carb can be just as reliable. Personally I wold want a carb. Ideally a Q-jet set up properly.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Setup properly is a key

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I usually come down on the other side of this debate.

The money you spend on fuel injection can buy alot of carburetor's and tuning, if you're going aftermarket.

My parent's drove to the hospital to deliver me in a carbureted vehicle, it was quite cold out that day, it still started. My Granny is from a dirt floor shack in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, and managed to drive around with a carbureted vehicle from 1947 until about 1990 or so.

They worked for 100 year's, they'd still be working now if it weren't for regulations getting tighter. My C10 starts no matter what, and I haven't even tuned the thing.

Here's a video, from when my idiot neighbor was plugging in his gas powered Hemi, fuel injected Ram, so it would start easier lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGBARD_4fJ8

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have had quadrajets on my squares for 26 years. They ran well if they were tuned up ok. What I didn't like about them is elevation changes and bumping around going off road, or up and down very steep hills.

About a year ago I switched to the Edelbrock E-street EFI. It eliminated the 3 problems mentioned above. But I think it cost too much money- and I did pick up a little bit of gas mileage.

For a truck that doesn't spend much time offroad I'd think a good carb would be just fine.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I like TBI personally, but that's more money like they said. A good, clean carburetor will be okay, though. I would prefer a Quadrajet because I like to keep things stock so a good M4MC would be the way to go if I were in your shoes. I've worked on Holleys some, and it's relatively easy to install, remove, and tune.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
A well built Quadrajet can deliver good fuel economy and smooth power delivery for a long time. Lots of junk out there though so be careful.
I keep hundreds of cores on hand and build every Quadrajet specifically for how it will be used and the engine it will be on. Be glad to help you if you are interested.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
A well built Quadrajet can deliver good fuel economy and smooth power delivery for a long time. Lots of junk out there though so be careful.
I keep hundreds of cores on hand and build every Quadrajet specifically for how it will be used and the engine it will be on. Be glad to help you if you are interested.

How do you feel about the E4ME Quadrajets?

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
How do you feel about the E4ME Quadrajets?

They will work fine when used on their intended application. The design is mostly the same as earlier with some exceptions. Most of my business is for earlier units custom built for modified engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod