front axcel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a 10 bolt stock front how those it work? I hear guys talking about posi front axcel's and stuff , when i turn the manuel hub locks doesn't both wheels lock becomming positive traction? also pulling the 4x4 lever in the truck don't tell me just one tire turns up front!! the other one comes for the ride..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Both front wheels do see power IF both wheels also have good traction. You have the differential in front that lets you easily steer the truck when the front hubs are locked, but that differential will also send all power to a wheel if it's just spinning in the air or on ice. A limited slip or "posi" will take care of this problem by only allowing a certain amount of slip between the two front wheels.

Make sense? I'm bad at describing these kinds of things.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
so a posi will work as it does in a car basically all the time when needed with out locking hubs ect... where in my case when you lock the hubs they both work when needed. No can't be, there has to be force applied to the front wheels for the posi to engage .. I also remember the salesman telling me back in 87 not to go over 40 mph when it is engaged in 4 wheel drive what do you think about that Thanks

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
hubs don't make it posi, you must have a posi unti it in to keep them both locked in. In most rear ends and front as mentioned both get power and turn but as soon as one gets off the ground ALL power it transfered to that wheel unless you have posi or a locker, then both wheels keep equal power.

The posi or lockers need to unlock and let one freespin when turning, this would be why some say stay under 40 mph when turning and such. How much of it you can beleive not sure. New cars come all wheel drive, all the time and you have to run over 40 mph in them.

alot of times the t-case turns everything, but supposed to when you have it in 2wd it disengages the front driveshaft so it won't tunr, maybe free float or something, saving gas and not turning anything.

Ok same thing for hubs, you lock the stick and case in 4wd and that makes the t-case turn the front, turn the DS and turn the ring and pinion gears which turn the axles.

Then you get to the hubs, they are unlocked, the axles don't turn them. So power gets to them but not to the wheel via the hub. You lock it in and viola power to the wheels to turn.

each axle has a spider gear, on the sides, positrac or lockers basically locks them into the axles, making them turn. So to speak, that's not exact but close to give you an idea of what happens. I aint sure how to better explain the posi crap. Most just cause the guts in the middle spider gears or what not to lock over and stay pressed into the axle making the ring and pinions turn both, not just one. When turning one backs off to let that side free float, follow or spin faster whichever you want to call it.

Lockers from what I understand do just that, lock both in all the time. posi's let the one free wheel so you can turn easy.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Open diff lets the tire with least amount of traction spin, other side never kicks in. "One wheel peel" lol. Easiest to steer in 4wd.

Posi lets tire with least amount of traction spin till it reaches x mph and then kicks the other side in. Engages the other wheel usually by clutch disks, springs, etc so it has a softer engagement. Easy to steer in 4wd but might freak you out a little when it kicks in.

Locker is similar to Posi but senses wheel spin sooner and kicks in harder. Locks together more like a coupler. Harder to steer when in 4wd and locker engaged.

Mini-spool or full spool is for racing. Both wheels spin all the time so it is a bitch to steer. Doing even slight turns in 4wd you will have to nickel and dime it once or twice to get it done.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
so a posi will work as it does in a car basically all the time when needed with out locking hubs ect... where in my case when you lock the hubs they both work when needed. No can't be, there has to be force applied to the front wheels for the posi to engage .. I also remember the salesman telling me back in 87 not to go over 40 mph when it is engaged in 4 wheel drive what do you think about that Thanks

Uh the 40 miles per hour is when you are in 4 lo. Otherwise it doesn't matter in 4 hi. My truck still has the 4wd instructions on the sun visor and it says don't go over 40 in 4 lo. Over 40 would probably send the engine over the redline.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
thank you gentleman as allways very informative Roy

Forum statistics

Threads