Ford Trash Talk Thread lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Ford compounded the problem by designing a vehicle where the cab was basically poured on top of the engine and allowed to harden.
This is a great description! :gr_grin:

With the utility fleet I work on, you also have to disconnect all the stuff the upfitters add. Usually the first time the cab is is pulled, weather pack connectors are added.

If the engine will not run, the small man lifts on the F550's need to be moved out of the way as the boom stows over the cab. I have said this before, I thank the Lord every day for Fords, they pay the rent.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Is the Cherokee a V8?
Ya, 5.2L. She'll fly, but only gets about 12 - 14mpg. It's a great rig really it is, it's plenty comfortable, and has all the options you could get in 96, climate control and sunroof. I actually rather like the sunroof. It's got the AWD transfer case, which at first I thought I'd swap it to a selectrac, but it really works quite well and if we get a snow and the wife needs to drive it she doesn't have to worry about what position it is in and I don't have to worry what she's doing with the lever, just leave it in AWD position hun. It's fine to drive I don't mind it at all, but it's not really me. I've driven pickups primarily for so long I think I'm just really use to it.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ya, 5.2L. She'll fly, but only gets about 12 - 14mpg. It's a great rig really it is, it's plenty comfortable, and has all the options you could get in 96, climate control and sunroof. I actually rather like the sunroof. It's got the AWD transfer case, which at first I thought I'd swap it to a selectrac, but it really works quite well and if we get a snow and the wife needs to drive it she doesn't have to worry about what position it is in and I don't have to worry what she's doing with the lever, just leave it in AWD position hun. It's fine to drive I don't mind it at all, but it's not really me. I've driven pickups primarily for so long I think I'm just really use to it.

My wife had a 1996 GC 318 for a number of years. I really liked it. But, like everything around here, it rusted away to the point of no return.

The only problem I ever had with the GC was some electrical gremlins. Otherwise, it was very good.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Oh okay, the 90s v8s were okay. That was still the classic style 318 magnum I think. We have a 2000 Cherokee with the 4.7 power tech/magnum V8. That engine is garbage. The jeep is super comfortable, and when it was running, had great power, was good in the snow, and got like 18-20mpg. But the engine went kablooy and had a melt down, and after doing research afterwards we found out that's a common problem.
Dont trust the 4.7.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Oh okay, the 90s v8s were okay. That was still the classic style 318 magnum I think. We have a 2000 Cherokee with the 4.7 power tech/magnum V8. That engine is garbage. The jeep is super comfortable, and when it was running, had great power, was good in the snow, and got like 18-20mpg. But the engine went kablooy and had a melt down, and after doing research afterwards we found out that's a common problem.
Dont trust the 4.7.
There 4.7 plagued many Dodge trucks too. The old Chrysler LA engines used in the '90s were one of the 2nd gen Ram pickup's few redeeming qualities, aside from the availability of a Cummins in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Chrysler did hold on to the AMC inline 6 design for as long as they could though. Wranglers still had a variation of it as late as 2006.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Dont trust the 4.7.
Yes, that's correct it's the classic Magnum 318 V8. I'm actually a really big fan of a lot of the 90's motors, both Chrysler and GM, I mean they have proven they can go the distance. Fuel injection had been around long enough to be refined well enough to be very, very reliable in most cases, yet they was still very simple to work on. Mine has 270K on the clock. My 92 Dakota has the 3.9 magnum which is pretty much the 318 with 2 cylinders cut off. It's got 450K on the original motor, no kidding. Personally I'd opt for the 5.2 over the 3.9, sadly the 3.9 doesn't really deliver anymore fuel economy than the 5.2, but they have been been very good motors.

There 4.7 plagued many Dodge trucks too. The old Chrysler LA engines used in the '90s were one of the 2nd gen Ram pickup's few redeeming qualities, aside from the availability of a Cummins in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Chrysler did hold on to the AMC inline 6 design for as long as they could though. Wranglers still had a variation of it as late as 2006.
I agree the 4.7 have issues, but I'm also not a fan of the Dodge 5.7, I kind of thing those are junk too. I'm not into diesel. I did like Dodge trucks right up until 02 or 03' when the 4.7 and 5.7 came out yuk. I did like the second gen Ram trucks, frankly I liked them over the GMT-400, but I did like them both, hopefully that makes sense.

Also I'm going to go out my limb here and say that I liked the magnum V10 truck engines. A lot of guys don't because they got terrible gas mileage compared to the V8 magnums but for a guy like me that does not like diesel the V10 a heck of a power producer, for it's time. And if taken care of they are plenty reliable.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My wife had a 1996 GC 318 for a number of years. I really liked it. But, like everything around here, it rusted away to the point of no return.

The only problem I ever had with the GC was some electrical gremlins. Otherwise, it was very good.
So here is an interesting one for you. my 96 GC had for years and intermittent problem with the doom lights coming on at night. It wasn't a regular issue at first, but the strange thing was. The light timer normally worked fine, you know if you leave a door open or a light on they shut off after IDK I think it's like 10 minutes. Well when this issue occurred it seemed to bypass the timer. Eventually I traced it down to the BCM, which was unique to that year and only even on the limited editions. So I need to get mine rebuilt, but for the time being I have a wire disconnected off the BCM which disables the fade off after you close the doors and turn the key on, so the lights just turn off right when you close the door.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Yes, that's correct it's the classic Magnum 318 V8. I'm actually a really big fan of a lot of the 90's motors, both Chrysler and GM, I mean they have proven they can go the distance. Fuel injection had been around long enough to be refined well enough to be very, very reliable in most cases, yet they was still very simple to work on. Mine has 270K on the clock. My 92 Dakota has the 3.9 magnum which is pretty much the 318 with 2 cylinders cut off. It's got 450K on the original motor, no kidding. Personally I'd opt for the 5.2 over the 3.9, sadly the 3.9 doesn't really deliver anymore fuel economy than the 5.2, but they have been been very good motors.

I agree the 4.7 have issues, but I'm also not a fan of the Dodge 5.7, I kind of thing those are junk too. I'm not into diesel. I did like Dodge trucks right up until 02 or 03' when the 4.7 and 5.7 came out yuk. I did like the second gen Ram trucks, frankly I liked them over the GMT-400, but I did like them both, hopefully that makes sense.

Also I'm going to go out my limb here and say that I liked the magnum V10 truck engines. A lot of guys don't because they got terrible gas mileage compared to the V8 magnums but for a guy like me that does not like diesel the V10 a heck of a power producer, for it's time. And if taken care of they are plenty reliable.
I've never liked the 5.7 either. I am told they have gotten better in the newer trucks, but the only Mopar small blocks I trust to last are the old 318 and 360 (5.2 and 5.9 magnum). The V10 magnum is an underappreciated beast of an engine with a lot of potential. I think what hurt the V10's popularity the most was diesels being available in the same trucks.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So here is an interesting one for you. my 96 GC had for years and intermittent problem with the doom lights coming on at night. It wasn't a regular issue at first, but the strange thing was. The light timer normally worked fine, you know if you leave a door open or a light on they shut off after IDK I think it's like 10 minutes. Well when this issue occurred it seemed to bypass the timer. Eventually I traced it down to the BCM, which was unique to that year and only even on the limited editions. So I need to get mine rebuilt, but for the time being I have a wire disconnected off the BCM which disables the fade off after you close the doors and turn the key on, so the lights just turn off right when you close the door.

Believe it or not, ours was a BCM issue also. A little different than yours, but ours had to do with the windshield wipers, dash gauges, and left turn signal. Once we replaced the BCM, it was fine until we sold it.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I briefly had a 98 limited with a 5.2, while the one I personally owned was a broken POS it was a rather "nice" vehicle and I always considered it somewhat of a shame that I didn't get to spend any real time with it

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
This was one of my favorites

Attachments

• e0808bdfc41d2cba0f4ad9bae7df8368_1494780938911.jpg
    e0808bdfc41d2cba0f4ad9bae7df8368_1494780938911.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 42

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've never liked the 5.7 either. I am told they have gotten better in the newer trucks, but the only Mopar small blocks I trust to last are the old 318 and 360 (5.2 and 5.9 magnum). The V10 magnum is an underappreciated beast of an engine with a lot of potential. I think what hurt the V10's popularity the most was diesels being available in the same trucks.
I agree, and also as we progressed though the years, diesels became quieter and more powerful, I think that progression did it in.

Believe it or not, ours was a BCM issue also. A little different than yours, but ours had to do with the windshield wipers, dash gauges, and left turn signal. Once we replaced the BCM, it was fine until we sold it.
That's my concern long term. I know my BCM has an issue, so it stands to reason that more portions of it are likely fail in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84