Floor Shifter For TH400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m gonna plug Kilduff’s Lighting Rod shifter for a full manual reverse patterned tranny. I’ve driven my truck for 20 yrs this September with this type of valve body 400. All but 1 yr was column shifted. It became second nature shifting after awhile and shifting constantly while driving was as close to having a manual tranny without having one. The only problem on a full throttle launch using the trans brake was hitting 2nd when pulling the handle down and it went straight to 3rd.

Last year I decided to go to the floor but didn’t want to go gated or ratchet because of the stop & go traffic shifting. Found and researched the current shifter. I’ve been using it a year now and absolutely love it. Simple. Less range of motion. No mechanism to wear out. Never missed a gear. And very different. No regrets getting it at all.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brian is easy to work with and will build to suit your needs.

https://www.kilduffmachine.com/

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I was looking at the Kilduff unit for my Bel Air when the time comes.
Looks like a Lenco, but simple to use.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was looking at unimatic first, but that didnt look to be racheting.

I'll assure you, once you go with one of the B&M ratchet shifters like the QuickSilver or Mega, you'd never wanna go back to anything else. Pretty sure it's those 2 I suggested that are as said, both 3 and 4 speed compatible so you don't have to buy another shifter if later decide to go 4L80-E, and is also reverse pattern or standard pattern. Being that they're cable operated, you do have mounting flexability too.
They have the P N safety micro switch built in, as well as Reverse Back Up lights micro switch. All you have to do is wire those things in.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I’m gonna plug Kilduff’s Lighting Rod shifter for a full manual reverse patterned tranny. I’ve driven my truck for 20 yrs this September with this type of valve body 400. All but 1 yr was column shifted. It became second nature shifting after awhile and shifting constantly while driving was as close to having a manual tranny without having one. The only problem on a full throttle launch using the trans brake was hitting 2nd when pulling the handle down and it went straight to 3rd.

Last year I decided to go to the floor but didn’t want to go gated or ratchet because of the stop & go traffic shifting. Found and researched the current shifter. I’ve been using it a year now and absolutely love it. Simple. Less range of motion. No mechanism to wear out. Never missed a gear. And very different. No regrets getting it at all.

And a theft deterrent...

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I had the b&m truck mega shifter in 2 different gmt400 trucks. One was a 700r4 regular valve body and one was a dodge 3 speed full manual valve body(Cummins swap truck). The truck version was the perfect height in both cases. The first one I had was at least 7 years old and not stiff at all. The one in the Cummins truck I bought brand new and put in and it was stiffer but not unbearable. It’s a cable shifter so you need to be careful with the bends to not get stiff action. And the ratcheting was dead on every time no matter how hard you beat it

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I had the b&m truck mega shifter in 2 different gmt400 trucks. One was a 700r4 regular valve body and one was a dodge 3 speed full manual valve body(Cummins swap truck). The truck version was the perfect height in both cases. The first one I had was at least 7 years old and not stiff at all. The one in the Cummins truck I bought brand new and put in and it was stiffer but not unbearable. It’s a cable shifter so you need to be careful with the bends to not get stiff action. And the ratcheting was dead on every time no matter how hard you beat it

You bring up a good point about cable routing, as that will absolutely have an effect on shifter feel if it's binding anywhere. In my case, even with the cable disconnected the shifter is still pretty tough. I almost suspect the tower wasn't manufactured correctly or there is a twist or bend somewhere in the tower or shifter linkage that i'm not seeing or just isn't obvious. As it's only been in the truck for about 1,500 miles I'm just going to keep beating it and see if it loosens up any more. Lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
can a stock floor shifter from a car be used?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
can a stock floor shifter from a car be used?

Other than having to reach further down to the floor, a shifter designed for a car would work fine. Other option might be to raise the shifter up on a pedestal.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Other than having to reach further down to the floor, a shifter designed for a car would work fine. Other option might be to raise the shifter up on a pedestal.
im not giving mine up but where the seats in this a-body are and how high that shifter is, i could see a small extension to the shift length being sufficient if one had the right length... im not sure if its cable or not but someone could maybe figure it out.

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size

That interior is badass bro! I want my truck like that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl