Flexing door handle area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Hello all. I have noticed that the metal on the door at the door handle small end (opposite of the push button) flexes a little. It doesn't happen on the passenger side. I will attribute this to the fact that due to that door being used more (as in by me! ;D) and the pulling on it over 43 years is has caused the issue. Is there some way to support this?
Thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a support flange/bracket/doohickey attached to the backside of the door skin, for handle support. It may be coming loose and no longer providing good support.

One of my trucks does the same thing on the driver door, but I have never got around to looking into the actual cause of it.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks, yes, I have seen that. Didn't mess with it, but will check it. I do not recall seeing one on passenger side.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Aftermarket doors don’t have the support and are much more flimsy. That may be your issue.

Ben

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Aftermarket doors don’t have the support and are much more flimsy. That may be your issue.

Ben
Fortunately, this is an original door. I have seen the support inside the door. I am going to check it and make sure it is solid. Thanks though.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Both sides on mine do it. I don't remember seeing a support. Or maybe I do, is it just an extra piece of sheet metal attached so the skin is twice as thick?

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Both sides on mine do it. I don't remember seeing a support. Or maybe I do, is it just an extra piece of sheet metal attached so the skin is twice as thick?

If you ever have your interior door panels off look for it at the back of where the exterior door handle attaches. You can also use a flashlight and look down the window channel with the window rolled down.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Ok, mine does have that. :waytogo:

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Well, as long as my handle doesnt pull off in my hand, I'm good. Just have to put more "pull" on latch end. We call know what happens when you bend metal too much in one spot!!! ;)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you like your door and your truck and it’s not messed up yet, then why not just reinforce it?
If that pic is the bolt in question ( I don’t have what the inside of a squarebody door looks like memorized…) then put a fender washer behind the bolt head or make a simple little plate to spread the load even more.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
If you like your door and your truck and it’s not messed up yet, then why not just reinforce it?
If that pic is the bolt in question ( I don’t have what the inside of a squarebody door looks like memorized…) then put a fender washer behind the bolt head or make a simple little plate to spread the load even more.

I will have to try something. Maybe a short, thin bar behind the bolt.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Okay. I fixed it. From what I can figure out, the "reinforcing place" is not flat against the outer skin thus causing some flexing. Using a large fender washer did not help. So...........I took a 4" mending plate and pushed it long ways up under the lower lip of the plate and voila!!!! No more flex. Since the plate is not removable, I used a generous amount of some Gorilla glue along the top edge towards the outer skin. Once that is cured, I can go back and apply some epoxy along the bottom edge so it doesn't fall out. Can not eve see it. HEY!!!! What ever works!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbluesquare