Fixing the steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Since the day I bought my '87 Silverado, it's favored turning left over turning right. Like tonight, I can turn the steering wheel left 2 revolutions before hitting lock and right 1.5 revolutions before hitting lock. If the steering if was centered, that would be 1.75 revolutions both directions. The linkage isn't binding since the PSP squeaks when I hit lock on both sides.

What are the chances the steering box skipped a tooth? I recently took out some of the play by dropping that top gear some. I haven't looked at the pitman arm yet to see if it's installed correctly to the steering box. I can take a quick gander at that tomorrow.

Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
It could be a mix of not having the tie rods set even distances and either your steering shaft needing to be rotated on the input shaft of your gearbox or your steering wheel needing to be rotated on the shaft.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It could be a mix of not having the tie rods set even distances and either your steering shaft needing to be rotated on the input shaft of your gearbox or your steering wheel needing to be rotated on the shaft.

Truck has one of those Garret steering wheels on it. If the lock plate is installed up side down, the steering wheel is straight, but it's rotated left if the lock plate is installed correctly. The adapter is on the B hole to get steering turned more right. So, I doubt it's the steering wheel itself.

IS the steering shaft adjusted at the rag joint or somewhere else?

Thanks!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

agree with the steering shaft needing to be rotated.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, I just watched a video about replacing GM shaft with the XJ shaft. Looks like all I need to do is loosen shaft where it mounts to steering box input shaft, pull it off, rotate it to the left (facing truck) and re-attach and tighten it up. Should be able to do that before I head to work tomorrow.

Thanks all!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Ok, I just watched a video about replacing GM shaft with the XJ shaft. Looks like all I need to do is loosen shaft where it mounts to steering box input shaft, pull it off, rotate it to the left (facing truck) and re-attach and tighten it up. Should be able to do that before I head to work tomorrow.

Thanks all!

That may not help with your uneven amount of turns from center to lock.
That will need to be dealt with via the tie rods.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That may not help with your uneven amount of turns from center to lock.
That will need to be dealt with via the tie rods.

Neither will adjusting the tie rods. The lock to lock issue is tied in with the steering box and pitman arm.

Tie rods are there to adjust the toe angle.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Neither will adjusting the tie rods. The lock to lock issue is tied in with the steering box and pitman arm.

Tie rods are there to adjust the toe angle.

Ah, ok. For dome reason I thought it was the spindles against the stops on the lower control arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco