First truck, first restoration. Should be fun. 1979 Scottsdale k10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
also that’s a I like your square it’s a beauty! @Grit dog

Thanks bud.
It's actually gonna be our younger boy's first truck. He's 14 now and has alot of sanding and priming to do this winter!
While relatively rust free trucks are not hard to come by out here, ones that aren't totally clapped out or waaay too much money are.
This one was a good compromise between expensive and clapped out.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. Thank you for saving a gem. Since its been in the family since new it's for sure a keeper.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A guys got a pretty cool truck he is working on.

Welcome from the south, South Carolina to be exact!

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Glad to see you here!! I cut my teeth the same as you on old dirtbikes and quads. Then went to a 76 truck and VW beetle. Let us know what you need in the future. You are in the right place.

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
Here’s the update on the truck for today!

You must be registered for see images attach

here is the motor, we are unsure if it’s a 305 327 or 350. But it’s one of the 3 we just haven’t taken the time to measure the cylinders yet. It’s not original it was replaced within the first few years of my grandpa owning it. He can’t remember why lol. We were hoping for a 4 bolt main but did discover a 2, this is probably the motor that will go into it but not quite sure yet. It was straight piped from the mufflers falling off and didn’t blow any blue smoke and seemed to have good compression. Our original plan was/is to have the valve terrain and pushrods replaced. A stock or mild cam, and new pistons/rings- While keeping the bottom end stock. We aren’t trying to push a ton of power out of it at all, probs just headers, aluminum manifold and edelbrooke 4 barrel. let me know what you guys think or what you would do in my situation if you want!

we also have a running 350 in our parts truck but it’s pretty rough. Wasn’t taken care of the best so that might just be our future spare. Also a 2 bolt

Once we figure out what the displacement is I did think of maybe finding a bottom end off of the same motor but a 4 bolt main and then having that crank rebuilt and balanced. I don’t know if that’s possible either. Otherwise a 2 bolt seems like it will be fine. Thoughts on that?

thats all for the motor for now, definitely open to any criticism and advice thanks guys

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
Thanks bud.
It's actually gonna be our younger boy's first truck. He's 14 now and has alot of sanding and priming to do this winter!
While relatively rust free trucks are not hard to come by out here, ones that aren't totally clapped out or waaay too much money are.
This one was a good compromise between expensive and clapped out.

yea in the midwest rust is a big issue. especially if people throw wood beds in them which is pretty common here. We picked up a parts truck with a wood bed and about a foot of the back of the frame is completely gone from rust. We actually got pretty lucky with our 79' though - the body panels are terrible and beyond repair but the frame and cab are very solid other than the rockers which is pretty much a given.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Welcome from the Great State of TEXAS! Awesome project! 2 pieces of advice:
1 - Scrap the 350 and put a BIG BLOCK in it!
2 - Beware @AuroraGirl , shes from your neck of the woods! LOL
:cheers: Since your only 15 these are mugs of Root Beer

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hi I’m Devin I’m a 15 yr old kid outta Wisconsin and I’ve got a 79 Scottsdale k10 project. My grandpa bought it new in 79 and told me either I can have it or it’s going to the junkyard lol. Here’s the truck

Well that was back in 79...

here is now— well a few months ago.
Body is pretty junk, rockers are bad but the frame is actually really good, along with a running 350.

Me and my step dad are planning on doing a frame up restoration on it. Luckily we have a shop and good tools to work with. My only qualifications are I like working and I know my way around a motor enough to not screw anything up real bad, but I love this project and truck and love working on it.
So I figured I’d share my build with you guys and maybe get some tips along the way. We’re about two months in and down to frame and cab (pics will be up soon)
Tune if if you want it should be about a 4-6 month project!
Where is this part of Wisconsin you are from?

Asking for a friend

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Welcome from the Great State of TEXAS! Awesome project! 2 pieces of advice:
1 - Scrap the 350 and put a BIG BLOCK in it!
2 - Beware @AuroraGirl , shes from your neck of the woods! LOL
:cheers: Since your only 15 these are mugs of Root Beer
hes not from the woods nor the neck of it, rest assured. hes from the "people parts" of wisconsin while im from the rural, nature of wisconsin
mooooo

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
hes not from the woods nor the neck of it, rest assured. hes from the "people parts" of wisconsin while im from the rural, nature of wisconsin
mooooo

OK.... one of them "city slicker" type fellers then, quess you better be aware then, but somehow I think a rural gal like yourself can take care of some pesky "varmit " like that ! lol:cheers:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg