First truck, first restoration. Should be fun. 1979 Scottsdale k10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
im joking about people parts, he looks to be rural. he just happens to be in the part of the state not officially recognized by me as part of wisconsin, rather the heathens of IL

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
I moved here last summer I grew up in Waupun Wisconsin on a farm. Well cattle goats and chickens no crop. @AuroraGirl

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
Right outside Jeneau

To be exact

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
what motor should i go with; Rebuilding the current 350sbc, getting a gm crate 350 with 3yr 100k warranty ,or find and rebuild a 5.3 vortec, or other

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
How bad is the current 350? Did you get it all tore down and checked? What is your budget?

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
what motor should i go with; Rebuilding the current 350sbc, getting a gm crate 350 with 3yr 100k warranty ,or find and rebuild a 5.3 vortec, or other

I did the same thing at your age and my dad went with rebuilding the 350 engine so I could learn how to do it. It’s a great opportunity to know the ins and outs of your truck.

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
How bad is the current 350? Did you get it all tore down and checked? What is your budget?

The current 350 isn't bad, But i can tell the cylinders need some work and the only currently useable part to us is the crank. Our budget has been all over the place on the motor but we think we would be willing to spend about 3 grand. I'm currently looking at a gm 4 bolt main crate motor with aluminum intake and chrome kit for about 2.8k, thinking a carb would be about 3-4 hundred- and the rest we have. the perks of going with a new 350 is we have the wiring, pulleys etc to drop it in. Otherwise we were toying with dropping about 1.5k into the current 350 for a full rebuild. I will be working on my own truck so i like the 350 because i am becoming familiar with it. Otherwise if we could find a junkyard 5.3 vortec i feel like it would be worth rebuilding- thoughts on that?

also motor is down to block only, haven't measured bore yet but im thinking the cylinders will need honed. And id be willing to bet we have a few warped valves.

Id also like about 230+ hp

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
230+ HP is pretty easy to get from a 350. I vote to take the block in and have it bored out and rebuild it. That is the best way to learn. My dad and I overhauled several small blocks together back in the 90's when I was in high school. Flat top pistons, a good set of heads, torque cam, aluminum intake, dual exhaust and get the Qjet rebuilt. I think you will be happy. Remember that torque is where it is at for pickups, especially 4x4's.

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
Finally got an update worth sharing!!

here is the frame right now a week or so after sandblasting.

we got a 4in rough country lift and bolted it up to make sure it fits right, and this is a few days after that. we just pulled the axles cab off and just working on seam sealing/finishing the bottom.

the current project is grinding off most of the riveted suspension brackets and replacing with grade 8 hardware (that's what the mess of grinders and chisels is). otherwise we have some minor repair on the back left section and a few hours worth of cleaning and we will be painting it. we are using a version of eastwood's rust stop paint.

And here we have our cab...

Cab is now rust free (sorry for the weird subtitles i take my pics on snapchat)

we also picked up some GM original paint doors completely rust free a few weeks back and fitted then up to the new sheet metal. we have a decent amount of sanding to do but since this was single stage paint it comes off super easy with 80 grit.

although it seems like all we are doing is tearing more apart, we are getting closer to seeing this thing in only a few colors.

otherwise we have fenders, doors, a good frame, getting a new core support and hopefully soon a new bed. so shes coming along, just lots of bodywork to come. PS if anybody has a rust free bed in the midwest shoot me a message.

I think i'm going to continue posting about our finishing process under the cab maybe ill get some pictures tonight.

and lastly i thought id include some of our future plans now that i'm thinking about it, we are doing an np205 swap (i have a thread with some questions if you know anything about it). we are relocating our gas tank to underneath the bed with the intention of NO bed bottom filler. these are just a few plans for the near future, ill make sure to keep this thread updated on that stuff.

thanks guys - devin

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9

JRec

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
400ci SBC
That’s an awesome. I read Wisconsin and the rust in the pictures matched the image in my brain. Lol. You are so lucky to have a nice shop to work in! That’s awesome.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Damn, what a difference!
That's lookin' great!

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Finally got an update worth sharing!!

here is the frame right now a week or so after sandblasting.

we got a 4in rough country lift and bolted it up to make sure it fits right, and this is a few days after that. we just pulled the axles cab off and just working on seam sealing/finishing the bottom.

the current project is grinding off most of the riveted suspension brackets and replacing with grade 8 hardware (that's what the mess of grinders and chisels is). otherwise we have some minor repair on the back left section and a few hours worth of cleaning and we will be painting it. we are using a version of eastwood's rust stop paint.

And here we have our cab...

Cab is now rust free (sorry for the weird subtitles i take my pics on snapchat)

we also picked up some GM original paint doors completely rust free a few weeks back and fitted then up to the new sheet metal. we have a decent amount of sanding to do but since this was single stage paint it comes off super easy with 80 grit.

although it seems like all we are doing is tearing more apart, we are getting closer to seeing this thing in only a few colors.

otherwise we have fenders, doors, a good frame, getting a new core support and hopefully soon a new bed. so shes coming along, just lots of bodywork to come. PS if anybody has a rust free bed in the midwest shoot me a message.

I think i'm going to continue posting about our finishing process under the cab maybe ill get some pictures tonight.

and lastly i thought id include some of our future plans now that i'm thinking about it, we are doing an np205 swap (i have a thread with some questions if you know anything about it). we are relocating our gas tank to underneath the bed with the intention of NO bed bottom filler. these are just a few plans for the near future, ill make sure to keep this thread updated on that stuff.

thanks guys - devin

MANN, you are making good time on this restoration. I know people say you should enjoy the journey, but I understand you want to get it on the road by the time you get your license.
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...-truck-that-arguable-doesnt-deserve-it.29533/
I'm 19, and I bought this truck when I was 16, and probably made all the wrong decisions, but I learned a hell of a lot about cars in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad