Finishing 350 swap. No spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I recently swapped a 75 350 in my 86 k10 and am having some issues.
The 350 has the electric carb and hei from the original 305.
Swapped it in and drove it but ran like crap and bogged down over 1/4 throttle. Problem got worse and figured it might be carb related since the original engine was killed by muddy water coming in the intake.

Got the carb rebuilt and it ran better. But not how it should. Didnt bog down just sluggish.

Then it started to bog down at high throttle and gradually got worse to the point it would just idle. Thought fuel pump might be going bad.

Went ahead and replaced it along with the fuel filter and spark plugs. Ran like a champ and thought i was golden. Now its backfiring and bogging down on heavy acceleration and rapid throttle.

After some research I figured it may be the accelerator pump. Looked around and the wire going to the thermostat housing from the pump was not plugged in, as the 75 350 did not have a sensor. So I swapped the one from the 305 in and plugged it up so It should be working.

Ive messed around with the ignition system and electronics trying to resolve the problem but now it wont crank and theres no spark.

Im at a loss now as to what the problem is. I think it may be the distributor itself or my lack of knowledge regarding esc and such has led me to hook everything up wrong.

Since I have removed alot of accesories/emissions stuff, tried to keep the 350 as simple and clean as possible. I checked the esc system to see if that was the problem and it was already disabled.

I dont know where to go from here so any help is appreciated. Should I get an old school hei distributor without esc and replace this one? Or would it be better to try and restore the esc system? Id prefer to keep the engine bay as clean as possible.

Here are pictures as it sits.

You must be registered for see images attach

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Also any clue where the carb fuel solenoid is??

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Yo dude! :wave: miss ya man!

we will try and help! :)
Yea been a while. College has been taking all of my time but im trying to get it ready to bring back. Especially since the fiero hit a telephone pole (thats another story) which makes this my only ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Anyways, now that ive thought about it, i think i lost spark after I cut all the esc wires going to the distributor. The green and black ones are spliced but the white and brown ones are disconnected. I looked around but cannot figure out what theyre for. Anyone? Do I need them?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it were me, I'd just put in a regular 'ol HEI dizzy. It might be too late for that though, I would have installed a standard Quadrajet too. I don't know if the carb and dizzy work together at all?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
If it were me, I'd just put in a regular 'ol HEI dizzy. It might be too late for that though, I would have installed a standard Quadrajet too. I don't know if the carb and dizzy work together at all?

In theory, it should work since the trucks electrical system dizzy and carb are all stock... right?

All I swapped was the intake manifold on down so it should all interchange, I think. The only problem is I got ahead of myself and asumed all I needed were the vaccum advance, brakes and other bare necesities like on the 75. I didnt realize that the 86 carb and dizzy could act up when you just disconnect the esc and crap. Im not dying to by a carb and a dizzy just to make it work without the extra stuff, so now im trying to reconnect what I need to make it work.

If the carb turns out to be a problem I do have the quadrajet that came with the 350 but its not complete.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All the extra "stuff" you removed might have something to do with your issues. It's purely a hunch though. I've always either left it alone, or replaced the carb, dizzy, and then removed the extra stuff. Really have never messed with the electronic carbs much at all.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
All the extra "stuff" you removed might have something to do with your issues. It's purely a hunch though. I've always either left it alone, or replaced the carb, dizzy, and then removed the extra stuff. Really have never messed with the electronic carbs much at all.

Thats exactly what im getting at haha. I still have everything I believe, so it could be just a matter of reinstalling a few things. But it was running before so I know it works. I think the issue then was the accelerator pump because I reconnected that since it completely stopped working. That along with the fact there is no spark makes me think its something with the dizzy.. I just came here to see if anyone knows whats wrong based on what I have set up

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You said no crank though.
This still a problem? Because if it is, if i were you i'd start with getting it to crank and then to getting it to have spark.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Why did you cut the ESC wires ?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
You said no crank though.
This still a problem? Because if it is, if i were you i'd start with getting it to crank and then to getting it to have spark.

itll turn over but not start. thats what i meant to say

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
???

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Why did you cut the ESC wires ?

because i was planning on keeping this engine as simple as possible. i was attempting to disable the esc function on the dizzy to make it function like a normal hei. it was already disabled though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kookieman 98