Finishing 350 swap. No spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I see. so it never worked before you cut it. what makes you say that it didn't work before?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I see. so it never worked before you cut it. what makes you say that it didn't work before?

what specifically are you refering to? it ran before but badly. i found that the accelerator pump was not plugged in so i believe that was the problem. but now theres no spark so theres atleast another problem now

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You said the ESC didn't work and you cut the ESC to disable it? no?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
You said the ESC didn't work and you cut the ESC to disable it? no?

ok the esc worked fine with the 305. when swapping in the 350 i wanted as little junk as possible on the engine. so i took most of it off not realizing the sensors wires and such could mess the dizzy and/or carb up. i thought the newer dizzy and carb would just function like ones typical on the older engines if i removed the newer systems.

in an attempt to disable the esc function on the DISTRIBUTOR i went to splice the green and black wires on it, to find out it had already been done by my dads friend. (this was done since the swap in order to make it run like an old dizzy, i just didnt know about it.) so it has been disabled the whole time since the swap and is not an issue.

i did, however, cut the brown and white wires on the esc to dizzy connector as the write up i read said to. other sources say nothing about this step which leads me to think it was wrong.

basically the esc system worked, but now the dizzy is not connected to it.

anyone knowledgeable on esc controlled distributors and electronic quadrajets???? honestly itll be much more difficult to explain and understand what ive done so far as ive changed a ton of things around and am a bit confused.

i was hoping someone could show me the simplest correct way to have the 86 dizzy and carb set up or perhaps the easiest way to disable the newer systems.

...whew. i know im being long winded

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The reason your having issues is you are running a qjet with the electronic mixture solenoid :-(.... that carb will give you the issues you subscribe. The no due issue could be your dizzy finally gave up or your plugs are to fouled to provide the spark needed. If you have the other carb you spoke of, just ask @quadrajetpower if he has some spare parts laying around and can help you out. I'm sure he'll chime in here :) yes the esc has been known to cause all kinds of issues. that mixture solenoid is linked to it :-(

Sent from the dust in front of you!

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
to simplify things, ill condense my current questions

what do the brown and white wires on the esc to distributor connector do? are they needed?

anyone know where the carb fuel solenoid is?

im about to troubleshoot the dizzy/ ignition to see if the problem is there.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The mixture solenoid is on top of the carb with a plug inserted into it. The brown and white wires are not needed and can be either left on the connector or capped off. This won't cause any issues at all. Ran mine for a couple years with no issues, but I also had a carb without that mixture solenoid.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
The reason your having issues is you are running a qjet with the electronic mixture solenoid :-(.... that carb will give you the issues you subscribe. The no due issue could be your dizzy finally gave up or your plugs are to fouled to provide the spark needed. If you have the other carb you spoke of, just ask @quadrajetpower if he has some spare parts laying around and can help you out. I'm sure he'll chime in here :) yes the esc has been known to cause all kinds of issues. that mixture solenoid is linked to it :-(

the thing is i have all the parts to reinstall and make these systems work. i had removed a lot of stuff like the air pump and egr before on the 305. but the carb and dizzy worked fine before the swap so i should be able to get them to work now (unless something broke).

im troubleshooting the dizzy first because the no spark issue is new. other than that i think the only problem is making sure the carb and dizzy are happy with their connections.

with that being said, what is necessary to keep the 86 carb and dizzy working???

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
The mixture solenoid is on top of the carb with a plug inserted into it. The brown and white wires are not needed and can be either left on the connector or capped off. This won't cause any issues at all. Ran mine for a couple years with no issues, but I also had a carb without that mixture solenoid.

according to the diagrams i read, i thought that plug was controlling/related to the accelerator pump?

regardless, i realized the plug you are speaking of had a wire coming off of it that was disconnected. after looking at some diagrams i saw this went to the water temp switch on the thermostat housing. the 350 had the plain old school housing, so i swapped the one off the 305 onto the truck and connected it. i believe that this was the source of my issues earlier when it was still running but bogged on rapid/high throttle

now there is no spark at all which i believe to be a completely new and separate problem, either a failure of some sort or i changed something and fugged up

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
At first I was gonna ask if mabey you had a carbon trail in the cap. But now im gonna ask, is the module bad?

As far as the electronic carb and Dizzy, I ended up getting rid of those on my monte cause the distributor was acting up, and the carb was acting up. Im sure i COULD have fixed both, but all in all, older is simpler. Just go to your local junkyard/upullit and get the best deistributor you can find. Hell mix and match if you want.

And i can relate as far as college goes, I dont have much time for toys anymore, I need to rebuild 2 engines and ill be lucky to get 1 done for awile.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
At first I was gonna ask if mabey you had a carbon trail in the cap. But now im gonna ask, is the module bad?

As far as the electronic carb and Dizzy, I ended up getting rid of those on my monte cause the distributor was acting up, and the carb was acting up. Im sure i COULD have fixed both, but all in all, older is simpler. Just go to your local junkyard/upullit and get the best deistributor you can find. Hell mix and match if you want.

And i can relate as far as college goes, I dont have much time for toys anymore, I need to rebuild 2 engines and ill be lucky to get 1 done for awile.

yea i checked power to the dizzy and ignition coil. nothing. next up pickup coil and module

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If it's the module I'd get a new dizzy

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
If it's the module I'd get a new dizzy

well i replaced the ignition coil and just now the ignition module. so i know both of those work. rotor looks to be fine and the pickup coil tested fine. ive yet to check the fusible links...

other than that i know of nothing that could be the problem... unless the dizzy is just done for.

now that i think about it that may just be the problem because this is the dizzy from the 305, which, i forgot to mention, died due to water coming in the intake. i was offroading and went into a mud hole i thought was shallow enough. it was too deep and dropped off pretty much immediately, so the truck nose dived straight in. cant tell from the pics

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

sat like this for a good hour before my dad pulled me out. which makes me think water could have screwed something up. also the 350 came with a hard line for oil pressure right near the dizzy, and i failed to plug that off correctly. oil was spraying all over but i didnt know it. ran like this for a while until i saw the leak and plugged it off correctly. but oil was everywhere and the inside of the dizzy got some in it. pretty much everything was oily to the touch. could oil screw up the internals?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Omg that looks fun. If the pick up coil tested good run 12v straight to the positive terminal on the cap

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Omg that looks fun. If the pick up coil tested good run 12v straight to the positive terminal on the cap

yup did that and made sure its hot.
im getting power to the dizzy and the ground is good
the ignition coil and module are brand new
pickup coil checks out fine and the rotor looks good.

the only other electrical component i can find is the capacitor.
is it possible that could be the problem? like i said, other than that all i know of is to check the fusible links

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dixierj