Finished sculpted broken out piece

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I finished shaping the broken out piece today. Now I'm ready to glue it in.
You must be registered for see images attach
The above piece is what I started out with. This roughed out cut was carefully shaped and after repeated fitting I ended up with the piece I needed to put into the instrument panel.
This above pic is the final shape that fit's pretty good.
The above pic is how it fits back into that broke out piece.
After some careful measuring I had the part marked out that fits into the pocket on the lower trim piece. The lines on it don't look like much of anything but I know which line to follow, I think. lol.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Next pics.
This is the initial shape.
Comparing the shapes together in the above picture. I don't know where that damaged in the crook of the "foot" came from, nor what it is. It might be some stuck on melted plastic left over from cutting. I know the back of this piece is clean and undamaged so I'll look at it. You'll notice there is a slight slant to the top part of the "foot" in the crook, I need to be careful to duplicate it so it will fit as well in the "pocket" of the lower trim piece as it can. And it needs to have the front of the "foot" narrowed a bit as well. To much and it will be to loose in the "pocket", and to wide and it won't go into the "pocket" enough and will keep the lower trim piece from coming up against the bottom of the instrument panel. So I have to creep up to the proper fit.
More "creeping" into proper shape. I want to make sure the front of the piece is flush with the panel. You'll see.
The above picture of the "foot" looks okay. I need to trim the bottom of the "foot" a bit more.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The last pics of the fit up of the shaped piece.
In the above picture here's how it fits now. I still think I need to shave the lip a little bit of the turned down front end of the piece. It's still a bit to wide.
In the above picture you'll notice that the plastic is thinner here, and there is kind of a step between the panel and this "foot". I need to duplicate that in the piece as well. I won't be able to take to much off because the panel is actually molded like this with a step that the "foot" is part of. All I will be able to do is sand some off on a line like the panel, that separates the panel and the "foot".
The above pic here is after I sanded it a bit.
You can see in this picture it is a little thinner. That's all I'll be able to do.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
And finally.
Dang, it's still blurred, but you can see in this little different angle it's thinner than the full piece is thick.
In the above picture here's how it fit's into the "pocket" on the back of the lower trim piece. This is how the back of the lower trim piece looks with that little pocket to hold the "foot" on the lower instrument panel? Together they hold the two piece's, the lower trim piece, and the lower instrument panel over the steering column to cover up the steering column support bracket and bolts.
I still need to sand the front corner of my piece to close up that gap you see light coming through. It ought to fit even tighter with that little bit of corner sanded down some.
In the above picture it really does fit tighter than it shows here. I was trying to hold it up against the instrument panel and take a photo at the same time with my other hand. It slipped down while I was taking the photo. If you go to the first picture of the four group photos, before this group, you'll see that it fits tight.
What I might do is put some glue on my piece and then see if I can put the lower trim piece in with a screw or two to hold it up against the instrument panel while the glue is drying. Maybe if I can figure out how to chew gum and walk at the same time and get the piece to hold straight while I put two dang screws in the lower trim piece. That ought to be fun. I don't want to tape it because it won't be straight and it'll drop down or something else while it's drying. I would be pissed if I came out the next day and found it had dried crooked or something equally as bad. It's got to go on straight and tight the first time and not have to somehow cut the thing off and glue it again. So I think putting it on the lower trim piece will be the best way because it's the way it's supposed go in anyway.

Last edited:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
You have done well, Grasshopper!

:favorites37: