Fiberglass Hoods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
They are not much differant than the early to mid 60's Chevy GMC hoods. But, they are still out there. Just look and be patient. What is wrong with that one other than surface rust and a couple dings? Unless the pic is hiding something there, it looks restorable to me.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
They are not much differant than the early to mid 60's Chevy GMC hoods. But, they are still out there. Just look and be patient. What is wrong with that one other than surface rust and a couple dings? Unless the pic is hiding something there, it looks restorable to me.

There's couple rusted out spots underneath on the hood grid/metal pattern. Plus starting to rust where hood hinges go also.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I have a fiberglass harwood show series bolt on 4 inch cowl on the 85 monte carlo ss that my BIL now owns and would buy one for anything.

Fit is great, quality is great, still looks as good as the day I bought it. No cracks no paint coming off anything.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
A friend of mine had a fiberglass cowl hood on his 83 chevy pickup and he hated it because the hood would lift on the front corners when you hit like 70 mph and it cracked the paint.

Thats the main reason i have steel cowl hoods on both my trucks.

I know that wont happen on all makes and models of cars and trucks but it did on our body style trucks.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I always heard that too, esp on the g-body cars, but mine never did, we had it well over 85 and no flex or paint crack.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I wouldn't completely rule out using a glass hood, but, I'd probably only use one as a last resort. As thin as the sheet metal in on my Sierra, I don't see how a glass hood could be any worse. On my Square Body, the reasons to avoid glass hoods have already been highlighted.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '79 has a Harwood fiberglass hood, it's OK. One thing that's very important is to research the different brands. Some fit and look much better. Glasstec, Cervini's and VFN all come to mind as the better brands.

Oh yeah, my '79 currently does not have support springs. When I got the truck, the springs were still on the hinges and it felt like the hood was going to break in half while closing it. The hood is still slightly bowed from having the springs installed previously.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
A buddy of mine ruined the hood on his stingray Corvette because he left the hood unlatched and not closed all the way over a winter.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
My '79 has a Harwood fiberglass hood, it's OK. One thing that's very important is to research the different brands. Some fit and look much better. Glasstec, Cervini's and VFN all come to mind as the better brands.

Oh yeah, my '79 currently does not have support springs. When I got the truck, the springs were still on the hinges and it felt like the hood was going to break in half while closing it. The hood is still slightly bowed from having the springs installed previously.

None of those offer one for a Ford 67-72 ford truck.

Here's a place that does

http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Trucks/67-Ford.htm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500